Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
43 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 46  Next >>
sgh78
Diglot
France
Joined 4435 days ago

163 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, Latin, Persian, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), German

Message 33 of 43
24 April 2012 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
In France on the "public WC" we can read "WC" , "toilette publique" or simply "toilette" if there are a restroom in a street.

1 person has voted this message useful

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
TurkeyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4446 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 34 of 43
27 April 2012 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
In Turkey you will see "WC" sign for it, it is pronounced somewhat like how Italians
would pronounce it. However in speaking language noone ever says WC ( and W doesnt even
exist in Turkish alphabet ) so we say "tuvalet" ( pronounced same as french toilette ) or
lavabo. In Turkey you won't need to mention "public" when talking about a public
toilette, it is understood when you just say toilette.

Rykketid
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4627 days ago

88 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: French

Message 35 of 43
17 July 2012 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
Italian: WC but pronounced voo-chee.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4459 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 36 of 43
17 July 2012 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Rykketid wrote:
Italian: WC but pronounced voo-chee.

Italian: Gabinetto doesn't seem to have been mentioned so far (and is less popular [as a
word] than it might have been in the past).

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 37 of 43
17 July 2012 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
In European Portuguese casa de banho is used, from what I know. I remember my aunt seeing it in my textbook and commenting that it's quite a beautiful word/expression for such a thing :D

On a side note, it gets awkward to come up with more synonyms while travelling together with someone. Especially when I went with my cousin to a rock festival in Finland and the talking was reduced to "who plays next?", "i'll buy something to eat", "i'm going to the toilet". it would've been funny to use the latter too many times so we (okay, I) said things like "i'm going you know where" or "i'm going as usual" :D

Edited by Serpent on 17 July 2012 at 10:41pm

Tibo
Pentaglot
Romania
Joined 5271 days ago

8 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: French*, Romanian, Latin, Ancient Greek, Spanish
Studies: English

Message 38 of 43
19 July 2012 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
I remember seeing the word "pissotière" in a restaurant in Denmark, when I was a child, more than 30 years ago. I was with my father and we laughed a lot at that, because it's not exactly a polite word in French. I wonder if they really use or used to use that word. Perhaps it was meant to be exotic or funny, I don't know.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4282 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 39 of 43
07 September 2012 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
I used to think the term "Comfort Room" or "CR" to refer to a lavatory was a usage
confined only to English spoken in the Philippines, or a Filipinism as local linguists
would call it. However, at the Jakarta airport on my way home from a vacation in Bali, my
wife pointed out that the signage referring to lavatories said "Comfort Room". Can anyone
familiar with Indonesia confirm this, as my memory on this is a bit hazy?

When I first started using Chinese Mandarin, I used to ask "Cesuo zai nar?" when looking
for the lavatory, until once while sharing a pizza in restaurant with my Mandarin teacher
she corrected me by saying that "Cesuo" was too coarse to use for a polite situation, and
it would be preferable for me to use the more elegant "Weishengjian". Can anyone give any
insights on this?

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4305 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 40 of 43
08 September 2012 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
In Spain, apart from the forms already mentioned ("cuarto de baño", "baño", "aseo", "servicio", "servicios" and "lavabo"), there are some which aren't polite though they aren't offensive yet, such as "meadero" (the translation would be something like "pissing room") and... well, the counterpart could offend, but is easy to imagine.

Anyway I'm stunned! I had found different words in English, for example WC, toilet, lavatory and loo (I think I'm the first one in mentioning this one and I don't really know if whether is formal or informal), but "restroom" sounds... too polite! It's an euphemism! Flipo en colores :).

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version