United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5132 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 25 of 28
31 December 2010 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Jeff
I hope to meet you at an Esperanto gathering ... iam, ie ...
1 person has voted this message useful

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5132 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 27 of 28
12 January 2011 at 7:20am | IP Logged 

Judane wrote:   10 January 2011 at 10:03pm

>they were also native Korean speakers, there would be no
>need for you to speak anything else since they would act
>as interpreters for you.

Correct. That is exactly what happened. We spoke only in Esperanto.

>Since you can do the exact same thing if you find
>a group of Koreans who speak Spanish, English,
>whatever, that really isn't an accomplishment, is it?

I don't know how to find those groups. Most Esperanto speakers know how to find Esperanto speakers in other countries ... or even in the same country. More than once Esperanto speakers from the USA stayed overnight in my house, even those that I haven't met before.

We are talking about a group of natives (of each country), ready to give several hours of their time to drive, accompany, and help the visitors.

>Especially when you consider that since there are only
>2 Million Esperanto speakers worldwide, you are much
>more ikely to be able to find Spanish or English speakers
>in Korea.

No. I know how to find Esperanto speakers. I don't know how to find English or Spanish speakers. If I visit any of the Spanish speaking countries (my native language is Spanish), I don't know how to find Spanish speakers ready to expend their time with me. But in most of those countries I know how to find Esperanto speakers.

In my first travel to Korea, there was a young Korean man waiting for me at the airport. He took me, by public transportation, to downtown, to the office of another Esperanto speaker. That evening, after a nice game of table tennis, I stayed overnight at his house. I don't know how to accomplish that in any other language.

>Enriquee wrote:

>>In my last visit to China I used very little English with
>>waiters, or with hotel personnel. Most of the time I spoke
>>Esperanto.

>That statement implies that you spoke Esperanto with
>various waiters and hotel staff in China...am I hearing you
>right?

I am sorry. After several decades of studying and practicing English, I still couldn't communicate my thoughts.

With the waiters and hotel staff I spoke in English. I didn't keep long conversations with them.Those were short interchanges. I am sorry I used the word "little".

With my friends I spoke Esperanto, during most of the time.After meeting Esperanto speakers in other countries, most of them become friends.

>>What happen if you intend to visit a different country
>>each year? You cannot learn one language each year.

>That has the presumption that you much first be fluent in
>a language before you can communicate to the degree you
>wish to in a foreign country. That is simply not the case.

This couldn't be the case for you. If I spend money and time to visit a country, I want to know something about the culture of than country. I want to know how people live over there. I want to be able to keep long conversations with some of the local people. I can do this with Esperanto ... in almost every country that I may visit.

>My wife and I were married in Denmark. A couple of months
>of studying Danish, along with more intensity in the weeks
>before we actually left allowed me to communicate quite well.
>Since we were only going to be there for a number of days,
>were not interested in discussing religion, politics, etc., this
>level of language fluency was more than enough to ensure
>an awesome visit.

Your goals are different from my goals. I did talk about some of these topics and many other subjects, including descriptions of the places we were visiting, and visiting places that most tourists don't even know about.

And learning Esperanto was just one language to study. I didn't need to study Japanese, Korean, and Chinese to visit those places. I visited twice Korea and China. I visited once Japan. In all those visits I spoke Esperanto.

>And as far as "visiting a country every year" that is quite
>a line of reasoning on your part. Just how many ordinary
>people do that?

You are right in your way of thinking, but ... I visited Korea and China in the same trip. Many people visit more than one country in one vacation.

But if I cannot go to the country, the country can come to me. Many times I have received Esperanto speakers from many other countries. I lived almost 30 years in New York City and that was one of the best places to receive visitors from other countries. Now I receive visitors that come to San Francisco. And there is no chance to study their languages because I can't guess from which country would come the next visitors.

>But if that were the case, I would be willing to bet - at least
>currently - that for the vast majority of nations on earth,
>knowing English would be a much greater advantage than
>knowing Esperanto.

When I have time to visit Esperanto speakers, for me Esperanto is much more useful than English. Remember that I learned Esperanto and I learned English. My native language is Spanish.

>I would really need some sort of proof or data to show
>this is accurate.

That is very easy. Dedicate 20 hours to learn Esperanto. Use Esperanto. And then you will be saying the same things that I (and most Esperanto speakers) say.

>As it is it seems like pure conjecture and nothing more.

So, you believe that the things I do and enjoy, are just "pure conjecture and nothing more."

>I respect people who study Esperanto and one day I may
>as well (I have other languages I would prefer to try first).

For most people, learning Esperanto first, will save time. If you have already studied many languages, maybe Esperanto wouldn't help you that much. But given the time it will take you to learn Esperanto compared to the time it will take to learn the other languages, Esperanto could still be an advantage. At least it will help you to contact people in the concerning countries, who can help you practice their languages.

>But the argument that there is an advantage in knowing
>Esperanto over other languages when traveling overseas
>rings hollow.

Knowing Danish, Spanish, and maybe one or two more languages, will not help you much in countries which don't speak those languages. Knowing Esperanto will help you.

>Perhaps sometime in the distant future, but right now, not
>so much.

When you be capable of reading Esperanto, you will be able to read about the world travels of many Esperanto speakers ... and some of those travels are one hundred years old. Esperanto will be good in the future ... at least as good as it has been during the last 120 years, and as good as is today.   http://horizonto.free.fr

2 persons have voted this message useful

Swede80
United States
Joined 4764 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Esperanto

Message 28 of 28
21 April 2011 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
I think Esperanto can be of practical use everywhere, because it can be the foundation of learning other languages.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version