United States
Joined 6326 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 9 of 21
09 September 2010 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
divexo wrote:

"Most polyglots pay attention to their language(s); I guess your chances to become more than a polybabbler are
small from the very beginning, sorry. "
Where did that comment even come from? Was there anything even wrong with my initial post?

He quoted what he was referring to, namely, your very first sentence was "Hell there Professor" rather than "Hello."
1 person has voted this message useful

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5071 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 10 of 21
09 September 2010 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
josht wrote:
divexo wrote:

"Most polyglots pay attention to their language(s); I guess your chances to become more than a polybabbler are
small from the very beginning, sorry. "
Where did that comment even come from? Was there anything even wrong with my initial post?

He quoted what he was referring to, namely, your very first sentence was "Hell there Professor" rather than
"Hello."

Oh hehe, I'm rather silly aren't I!
But something silly like that doesn't really deserve rudeness, but apology accepted...

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5142 days ago

2238 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 11 of 21
09 September 2010 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
You are welcome, divexo. Farber's book is somewhat dated. It was written in the early 1990's and is pre-intenet. I still think that his advice is good and his methods can be adapted to our new media. Good luck with your studies!

Edited by iguanamon on 09 September 2010 at 4:30pm

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5071 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 

Message 12 of 21
13 September 2010 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
Thanks.

Still interested to see if Prof A responds, maybe he won't but i really want to know his answer!

Edited by divexo on 13 September 2010 at 9:03am

justberta
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5465 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English, Norwegian*
Studies: Indonesian, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 13 of 21
20 September 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Hey Divexo.
First rule of polyglottery: Do NOT blindly trust spellchecks. Always manually check
everything after having translated/spellchecked something.
I don't know why you want to start with a dead language such as Latin. Italian is a much
better choice, suitable for your level. Start with ONE language. If you still love
Italian after a few years (Yes, it will take a few years to become somewhat fluent) You
may learn more languages.

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5071 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 

Message 14 of 21
22 September 2010 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Haha yes I really should use a proper dictionary or something.

Nah Latin will be far easier to learn to gain a high reading fluency than Italian will be to be Fluent.
Thanks for your concern, but i know it's possible to reach some fluency in both of these within the year, and i will
be taking up a third language perhaps after 6 months or so, depending if i can perhaps even get to a close enough
label as 'basic fluency' in these by then (6 months is my goal for both)
I am a very fast learner and thanks to my memory, I would be surprised if I am not able to meet these goals, even if
I have not self-taught before.
Maybe you are right though, but i doubt it, I am determined to succeed and so I will - this is just how I am, i set
high goals and force myself to get there ;)

arnika
Ukraine
Joined 5056 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: English

Message 15 of 21
23 September 2010 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Go to your local library, or the internet, or bookstore and ask for "How to Learn Any Language" by Barry Farber. His story about how he became a polyglot started with his failure in Latin in school followed immediately by his success with Italian. Later Spanish, French, Norwegian, Hungarian, Chinese and more. If ever there was an example of the Buddhist tenet- "follow your bliss", this is it, and he did just that! Get inspired! Love what you do and make it happen!

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6253 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 16 of 21
25 September 2010 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
Hah, Latin will be easy to gain a reading fluency!!!

Please report on how you get on. Personally I suspect that it's a lot easier to become fluent in Italian than gain a high reading fluency in Latin.

Have you actually tried to learn Latin before? Do you have any idea of the difficulties?

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version