Groupie
Australia
Joined 4978 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 17 of 21
25 September 2010 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Oh, if you think i meant it would be easier - i didn't mean that!
It'll be quite a bit of work but i'm motivated enough to put it in.

I have reviewed what i'm doing for both, and started a little for each to see if it was even possible and yes my
goals are possible, but no intense study so far - this will be seen properly not far off.

My reasons for Latin being easier to reading fluency than overall fluency in Italian: Less vocab in Latin,
i will be memorising a lot over time, especially in the first two months. I will be learning to recognise these
words in a text, and the different word forms as well as the sentence structure. This will not take that long to do
as I am also getting a tutor for the first month to speed up the process, and since i do not need to learn how to
write or speak it, this is far easier than Italian: in which i do need to know the exact spellings, the pronunciations,
a wider vocabulary, correctly constructing of sentence, listening and understanding.
I've never been too good at even English in terms of communicating / writing with perfection, so Italian may not
be that that easy in this way. Luckily, Latin is purely reading which is more relaxing as I don't mind memorising
since I'm quite good at it ;)

I will most likely make a log about my languages when i start later in the year, because i want to keep track
anyway :)
Perhaps I will do intense month of Latin before starting Italian, I guess we shall see when i start.

Offtopic budz; but absolutely amazed at all your languages! Inspiration!

Edited by divexo on 25 September 2010 at 8:51am

1 person has voted this message useful

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6160 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 18 of 21
25 September 2010 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
I still think you're in for a surprise...

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4978 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 

Message 19 of 21
25 September 2010 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
Budz wrote:
I still think you're in for a surprise...

How come? With what specifically?

Edited by divexo on 25 September 2010 at 1:48pm

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6160 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 20 of 21
26 September 2010 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
It's not necessarily easier to learn a language that for us is only written. Plus to read Latin literature you won't be reading about 'the cat is on the table'. Instead you'll be reading about Roman legions and farmers in Sicily... and coming across Latin words for things you don't even know the meaning of in English. It's one thing to learn the word for table or chair or aeroplane in another language, but it takes a particular motivation to learn all the obscure words that you'll need for Latin. Plus there's the huge number of words that you think you know... but because it's Latin and the Latin words in English have changed with time, it'll take special care to keep on top of the real meaning of these words.

And the surprise? Well, that's when you really start reading and find that because it's not a language that you can watch movies in or chat to people in, you don't have enough repetitive exposure to get an instinctive feel for all the verb forms and the noun declensions... so you have to constantly analyse each sentence word by word, ending by ending to actually understand them.

Edited by Budz on 26 September 2010 at 12:35am

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4978 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 

Message 21 of 21
26 September 2010 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
^Thanks for letting me know this, I may have slightly overlooked what you have said.
Regardless, I will still be putting in work and know I will be able to reach a high level over time, even if it is more
difficult than I currently think.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version