Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
29 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5056 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 25 of 29
03 April 2012 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
There's a difference between signage and practice. In Wales and the Isle of Man the public signs are bilingual- the predominant language by far is not Welsh or Manx but English.
1 person has voted this message useful

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese, Swahili
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 26 of 29
10 May 2012 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Hold on just a minute.

Bahasa Malaysia isn't a dialect of Bahasa Indonesia. And the Chinese and Indians are
just as Malaysian as the ethnic Malays. The only 'native' Malaysians are the orang asli
(indigenous people). And if by "native Malaysians", you're referring to the ethnic
Malays, they're not a minority. I believe KL is 45% Malay, 40% ethnic Chinese, 10%
ethnic Indians and 5% lain lain.

I know this post is about 2 years old but I just had to set a few things straight
seeing as how my city was being misrepresented.

maaku wrote:
There's one truly polylingual city that I know of: Kuala Lumpur. Bahasa
Melayu (dialect of Indonesian) is the principal language by law, but from my own
observations native Malaysians are a minority in KL. I also heard plenty of Tamil,
Urdu, and a variety of Chinese dialects (esp. Cantonese). The international languages
of English and Mandarin are widely understood and spoken at home by a sizable minority.
Finally, there were a small number of very wealthy Arabs (speaking various dialects of
Arabic) as well.

I have been to no city that is more multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, multi-religious, and
multi-lingual than Kuala Lumpur.

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4282 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 27 of 29
04 September 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
Manila and practically all major cities in the Philippines are bilingual, where English and Filipino (Tagalog)
are widely-spoken. In some cities you'll find a major dialect or two (dialects which most linguists consider
separate languages rather than dialects) also widely used, e.g. Bisaya (Cebuano) in Cebu City.
Furthermore, Filipino and English both share the status as the official languages of the Philippines.

thusspakeblixa
Diglot
Ireland
espaprender.wordpres
Joined 4312 days ago

15 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*, Irish
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 28 of 29
04 September 2012 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
I was in Strasbourg a few years ago, and it's probably what I'd class as bilingual. Shop signs and menus are in both
French and German, and I heard both languages spoken. I spoke only German and English at the time and got by
just fine in German, even with people who told me they spoke very little German.

You could also argue that cities like Zurich are bilingual - signs are usually in Hochdeutsch and Swiss German, and
people speak both. But in that case, you could argue that Dublin, Glasgow or pretty much anywhere is 'bilingual'.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 29 of 29
26 October 2012 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
Most Indian cities are bilingual, since English is widely spoken and understood, especially outside the Northern Hindi region. Sri Lankan capital (Colombo) is trilingual: English, Tamil and Sinhala are spoken.

Edited by Medulin on 26 October 2012 at 12:58pm

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version