Language Learning Forum : Esperanto (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
51 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6280 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 25 of 51
08 April 2010 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Trying to hold only language in your hands and then being surprised you're not holding
culture... weird indeed. For me, culture always exists outside of language. Language is
often used as a tool in its production, and occasionally culture enters the language in
the form of famous dictons and distinctions that reflect a "kultur-ero" (piece,
part, grain?) of culture, but essentially they are as different as say biology and
mathematics.

Would you say that German has no culture then, and that you could not respect it?
Standard German was developed based on many "dialects", quite a few of which were
mutually incomprehensible, so we might be calling them languages today (like Dutch, and
Frisian) if not for later historic developments. At the time that Standard German came
up, the people who spoke those languages also had quite different customs, foods and
ways
of life (some still do).

Edited by Sprachprofi on 08 April 2010 at 12:08am

1 person has voted this message useful

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5404 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 27 of 51
08 April 2010 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Trying to hold only language in your hands and then being surprised you're not holding
culture... weird indeed. For me, culture always exists outside of language. Language is
often used as a tool in its production, and occasionally culture enters the language in
the form of famous dictons and distinctions that reflect a "kultur-ero" (piece,
part, grain?) of culture, but essentially they are as different as say biology and
mathematics.

Would you say that German has no culture then, and that you could not respect it?
Standard German was developed based on many "dialects", quite a few of which were
mutually incomprehensible, so we might be calling them languages today (like Dutch, and
Frisian) if not for later historic developments. At the time that Standard German came
up, the people who spoke those languages also had quite different customs, foods and
ways
of life (some still do).

Could you explain more because it seems as if you are misunderstanding me?

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5232 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 28 of 51
08 April 2010 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
whipback wrote:
    The culture doesn't make the language...the language(among other things) makes the culture.
Not necessarily, culture can add certain words to languages. If it weren't for the ghetto/rap culture, the word "swag" wouldn't be in the English language (I'm not sure if it technically is).
Plus, learning a language with no culture to go with it would just be weird to me.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6578 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 29 of 51
08 April 2010 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
Swag comes from Old English, and it reminds me of thieves and pirates. I have never heard it used in a ghetto/rap
context (not that I listen to rap).

I agree, a language without culture doesn't really make sense to me. It would be like light without colour.

Edited by Captain Haddock on 08 April 2010 at 6:56am

unityandoutside
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5824 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin, Mandarin

Message 30 of 51
08 April 2010 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
Tombstone wrote:
unityandoutside wrote:
I like it. It's eccentric, intellectual...

-- It is a made-up language whose greatest selling point, at least by those who speak it, is how easy it is to learn.

I am curious. How exactly is that 'intellectual?'

It's not inherently intellectual, but the most I've met who have displayed interest in it have been in some sense "intellectuals." The average person here isn't really interested in learning languages, much less a language such as esperanto, without a "culture," or perhaps more importantly, without any GDP to speak of. So it's just completely dismissed, even though it is easy. The reasons that one would learn esperanto are ones that have appeal to intellectual types more than to others.

Edited by unityandoutside on 08 April 2010 at 7:26am

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5232 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 31 of 51
08 April 2010 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
Swag comes from Old English, and it reminds me of thieves and pirates. I have never heard it used in a ghetto/rap
context (not that I listen to rap).

I agree, a language without culture doesn't really make sense to me. It would be like light without colour.
I feel like an idiot. Now I'm thinking of all the times I've seen pirate movies with the word swag...
But swag/swagger is used in rap songs, hell there's a song called "Turn my swag on." Don't look it up, it's terrible. But my point is still that culture can influence a language (I'm sure you'd agree).

Blunderstein
Triglot
Pro Member
Sweden
schackhandeln.se
Joined 5228 days ago

60 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Esperanto
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 51
08 April 2010 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
whipback wrote:
Okay let's look at this. Esperanto is a language that takes from other languages with a grammar that could be made up very easily.

I disagree. However, please be more specific. For instance, describe which languages construct words the way Esperanto does. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto_grammar) The suffixes and affixes are, as far as I know, not found in other languages. There are other languages that are agglutinative, but from what I've read no other language takes this as far as Esperanto (except, of course, some other constructed languages which build on Esperanto).

Also, please check the "Correlatives" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_correlatives_%28Esper anto%29#Correlatives). You might not like the idea, but if this could be made up easily, it should be easy for you to point out other languages that use something similar.

One point of Esperanto grammar is often critized on the grounds that it is difficult and not found in other languages: the accusative case suffix -n. Some later constructed languages build on Esperanto but do away with the -n. Perhaps it would have been a good idea not to have it in Esperanto in the first place, but nowadays it's too late to change that, at least by a reform decided on officially. Like any other living language, Esperanto evolves (slowly).

whipback wrote:
The culture doesn't make the language...the language(among other things) makes the culture. So your statement about Esperanto being unique because of the people who speak it makes no sense.

I never said that Esperanto is unique because the people who speak it. I said that Esperanto is unique because of the community and the culture.
A community is more than just the sum of individuals in the community.

Swedish is unique because of the culture and the communities that speak it. The language in itself wouldn't be all that much to be excited about. The same can be said for English, German... (no offense intended to anyone).

The Esperanto community has developed a culture, including poetry, literature, songs etc. Your assumption seems to be that all the people who have learned Esperanto only learned to use the language, and that nothing in the Esperanto community has evolved. On the contrary, quite a lot has happened, and a culture has developed. This culture did not exist when Esperanto was first introduced.

Many of your criticisms would perhaps be valid if you directed them at some other constructed language, most of which do not have any substantial following or a community which has succeeded in creating a culture.

whipback wrote:
Esperanto was made so people from different cultures could speak to each other. It wasn't created for or by a certain group of people with a common culture. This is where my statement that Esperanto has no culture comes into play.

So you mean that just because a common culture does not exist in a group, it cannot develop over time? In that case, I guess that there is no such thing as American culture apart from the cultures of Native Americans, since the immigrants who arrived from Europe and other places did not (in the very beginning) have a common culture.
Funny, I was under the impression that there is indeed an American culture.

whipback wrote:
There are made up languages that were designed for a group of people and have a culture behind them. The most notable would be the languages in the Lord of the Rings. J.R.R. Tolkien made up those languages, gave them a group of people, and a way of life. In my eyes that is what a cultural language is.

Please explain again. The culture based on "The Lord of the Rings" has arisen since those wonderful books were published. The culture based on Esperanto has arisen since the description of the Esperanto was published. Where is the difference?

whipback wrote:
Of course there are people called Esperantists who are called this because they speak Esperanto, but I really wouldn't call that a culture. They could be French, German, English, Russian, etc. who may not have anything in common or even like each other.

Where did you get this impression that the people who speak Esperanto have nothing in common? On the contrary, we have a lot in common.

whipback wrote:
I really shouldn't have said Esperanto has NO culture because if there are people who truly consider themselves Esperantists, and who share different aspects of their lives in common then they have a culture. But looking at Esperanto from the start without a common people in mind is where I was basing my term for culture off of.

Ok, apology accepted.

I believe that this is the basic point where our opinions differ: you look at Esperanto the way it was the day it was invented. I look at Esperanto the way it is today.

And yes, there are definitely a lot of people who truly consider themselves Esperantists. I'm one, even though my command of the language still leaves a lot to be desired.
However, I doubt that there are many (or any) people who _only_ consider themselves Esperantists. For instance, I consider myself a Swede (primarily), a Quaker, an Esperantist and a few other things that I won't mention here.

There are even people who speak Esperanto natively. In most cases, the parents met during an Esperanto meeting/congress, got married and decided to bring their children up with two languages, Esperanto being one of them.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Blunderstein on 08 April 2010 at 12:19pm

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version