Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Esperanto
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 51
05 April 2010 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
str0be wrote:
Blunderstein wrote:
Whatever you think about Esperanto, I hope you agree that the
Esperanto movement is something very different from the classical cultural imperalism
of the West.

I don't really know what you mean by that.

In Korea, people are very interested in Western culture, and would like to have a nice
middle-class job doing business with Westerners. They'd also like to learn English
(and/or another European language) to enjoy Western cultural outputs, like TV shows and
music, and in case they want to emigrate or holiday in a Western country. I don't see
this as 'cultural imperialism'.

Many Westerners these days enjoy Japanese animation, and many Asians are interested in
K-pop and Korean dramas. Is this 'cultural imperialism' too?

Sorry if I've missed your point. As I say, I don't know exactly what you mean.

Actually I'm glad that someone missed my point, because it (hopefully) means that you haven't experienced cultural imperalism.

An example from Sweden: the Saami minority has almost lost their language, since there was much pressure from the authorities to not speak Saami. For instance, Saami children would be beaten at school if they spoke Saami.
Hundreds of Native American languages are in a similar position, and many have died out.
It wasn't just pressure against the languages: entire cultures were erased.

Nowadays many minority languages make a comeback. One of the most successful is Catalan in Spain.

Chung wrote:
So far I agree. It just hasn't been able to gain sufficient traction to act as a common language even on a municipal or regional scale, let alone a continental or global one.

You are right, Esperanto hasn't gained such traction, and it might well be that it never will.

From my point of view, that is not a reason not to study Esperanto. Most languages have no chance of ever becoming world languages, but they are still worthy of study.

Chung wrote:
That's usually how it goes for any language that I choose as well. What matters is if the potential target language holds enough of my interest from a cultural, historical or philological point of view. The greater ideas of [global] understanding and peace are language-neutral, and Esperanto is not inherently more suitable for achievement of those ideas than any other language (including the much-maligned English that we're currently using).

I don't agree completely. Using a national language such as English always gives an advantage to people who speak this language natively. For instance, very few people reach a truly native level in their English, if it's not their native language.
I've heard from many Esperantists that in Esperanto, everyone can reach a very high level. Those few "native" Esperantists that actually exist are said to not have an advantage. I'm a beginner, so I can't speak from experience. However, this is one of the things that motivate my studies: I hope to reach "native level" in one more language.

Also, if there is a conflict and you are forced to speak the language of the opposing side, you might not enjoy that. A neutral language would have advantages.

str0be wrote:
Blunderstein wrote:
When I started studying French, my chances of unexpectedly meeting
French-speaking people was very low, to say the least (I live in Sweden). I needed to
search out opportunities to use my French. If I started studying some other language
except English and perhaps three or four others, the situation would be the same. And
it is the same with Esperanto: if I want to use it, I need to search out opportunities.
If anything, it would be slightly simpler to find Esperantists, since they tend to be
well organized and have many meetings.

For French, you might have tried your local university's language department. And is
French taught in high schools in Sweden?

I mean, there are people who study French at university, and there are people who teach
French, and there are people who work with French as part of their jobs. You can't
really say the same for Esperanto.

Esperantists are perhaps quite well-organised, but it seems to me that it would be
easier to organise French-speakers better, than to convince so many people to learn a
new language which has so few real-world applications.

Thanks for the suggestions. However, signing up for a course requires that you dedicate quite a lot of time to the language, and that you find a suitable course. By the way I did study French at "Franska Institutet", an equivalent of Alliance Française. I also took French in high school.

After studying French for several years, and reaching a reasonable level (B2), I still need to make an effort if I want to find someone to speak French to. If it wasn't for the French-speaking friends that I've made, it would be quite difficult. You may or may not trust me on this, but it's my experience. The next Esperanto meeting close enough for me is on Wednesday... and I've studied Esperanto since December.

If you feel like organising the French-speakers, please go ahead. The Esperantists are already organised. I look at this from a practical point of view. If I were to study some other language (which, most likely, I will do in the future), one of my concerns would be "how easy is it to find people to talk to in that language?".

1 person has voted this message useful

Minlawc
United States
Joined 6342 days ago

24 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 19 of 51
05 April 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
I find Esperanto very clunky. Let's just say, I can think of the best aspects for an international language, and Esperanto falls way off the mark. Of course, I can't think of any language that fits the right specifics.

Get rid of about 8 consonants and the awful clusters like "Knabo" and "Scienco", reduce the phonotactics to a simple CVCV like structure. Simplify the grammar and remove sexist language(I'm no feminist, but for some reason this is a big problem for me). No real language I know of takes the word for "Father" and constructs the word for "Mother". Do all the things I mentioned in this paragraph and I would learn it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Blunderstein
Triglot
Pro Member
Sweden
schackhandeln.se
Joined 5228 days ago

60 posts - 82 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 51
05 April 2010 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Minlawc wrote:
Do all the things I mentioned in this paragraph and I would learn it.

There are other constructed languages which might suit you better. Some of them are built on Esperanto, but "improved". Ido is probably the most well-known.
However, as far as I know none of them has a following even close to what Esperanto has.

In my opinion, there might well be better solutions from a linguistic point of view. However, there also needs to be a community of people who speak the language, and an interesting culture.

By the way, I agree about the "feminist" aspect. Too bad that wasn't changed early on. With luck, perhaps Esperanto will change over time and new words for "mother", "woman" etc will be introduced.

As for the "intellectual" side of Esperanto, the Esperantists appear to be a very intellectual bunch. At least that is my impression after three months.
Then again, I suppose that it varies from place to place. There is a lot of variety among Esperantists (that's the point of the language, after all).

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6280 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 21 of 51
05 April 2010 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Everybody has different ideas for what the ideal international language would look
like, that's why there have been so many attempts at designing one.

I did not intend to get into this discussion again because everything has been said in
the previous threads on Esperanto, which Chung took the trouble to find and which
everybody here should read if they're in the mood to discuss it more. This topic is
really getting old. Anyway, Minlawc brought up one thing I hadn't read before.

Minlawc wrote:
No real language I know of takes the word for "Father" and constructs
the word for "Mother".

How'bout Arabic for a prominent example. Also, Esperanto has the prefix vir- or the
suffix -iĉo to turn things from neutral to male, just the majority of Esperanto
speakers chooses not to use them at this point - it may change in the future.

And since I'm replying already... somebody mentioned only being able to find several
hundred Esperanto books. It's true that at Esperanto events the selection of books can
be bad, depending on where the event is, because somebody has to ship all those books
between countries and arrange them in limited space as well. We can't build a bookstore
everywhere we go. However, the online catalog of UEA at http://www.uea.org enables you
to order more than 25,000 available books (worldwide shipping), and that doesn't
include many of the early works; some jewels of Esperanto poetry are only now getting
digitized so that they could be republished - read the book "Concise Encyclopedia of
the Original Literature of Esperanto" (728 pages) for an overview. Considering the
language is smaller than Lithuanian and has only been around for about 100 years, it is
fascinating how much literature and how much valuable literature has been produced in
it, and little of it is available in English.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 05 April 2010 at 11:27pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5404 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 22 of 51
06 April 2010 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Blunderstein wrote:
whipback wrote:
I base my life on being unique, and Esperanto is a language created by combining all other languages. I do not respect a language that has no culture or originality,

I've only studied Esperanto a couple of months, but I've already encountered a lot of Esperanto culture. As for originality: it's an invented language which is being used in many countries all over the world. If that's not original, what is?

Who knows, perhaps I'll one day meet Esperantists who judge other cultures without knowing anything about them, like you do. Such attitudes can be found just about everywhere.

Well obviously our ideas of culture are different, and again it is an invented language based on other languages with grammar that could be invented by almost any language enthusiast...that's NOT original. How hypocritical of you to say I don't know anything about them when you don't know anything about me or what I know. Please don't be rude. No one else was being rude...just stating their opinions.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Blunderstein
Triglot
Pro Member
Sweden
schackhandeln.se
Joined 5228 days ago

60 posts - 82 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 51
07 April 2010 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
whipback wrote:
Blunderstein wrote:
whipback wrote:
I base my life on being unique, and Esperanto is a language created by combining all other languages. I do not respect a language that has no culture or originality,

I've only studied Esperanto a couple of months, but I've already encountered a lot of Esperanto culture. As for originality: it's an invented language which is being used in many countries all over the world. If that's not original, what is?

Who knows, perhaps I'll one day meet Esperantists who judge other cultures without knowing anything about them, like you do. Such attitudes can be found just about everywhere.

Well obviously our ideas of culture are different, and again it is an invented language based on other languages with grammar that could be invented by almost any language enthusiast...that's NOT original. How hypocritical of you to say I don't know anything about them when you don't know anything about me or what I know. Please don't be rude. No one else was being rude...just stating their opinions.

"I do not respect a language that has no culture or originality..."
If that is not a judgmental statement, what could possibly be judgmental?
It also shows that you know next to nothing about Esperanto. Perhaps you are an expert on dozens of other topics, but claiming that Esperanto has no culture is a completely ignorant statement.

whipback wrote:
No one else was being rude...

Your statement is also (in my opinion) very rude. Imagine if somebody wrote about some other language that he didn't respect it because it "has no culture or originality". Just try to imagine the reaction from some other minority, if somebody made that statement about their language.

What is unique about Esperanto is not that it's a constructed language (there are lots of others), but the community of people who use Esperanto to express themselves. Like many other small groups, we strive to strengthen our culture. If nothing else, this thread has given several examples of Esperanto culture. You might also want to check out the Esperanto Wikipedia (http://eo.wikipedia.org/) which currently hold about 127 000 articles.

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5404 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 24 of 51
07 April 2010 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Okay let's look at this. Esperanto is a language that takes from other languages with a grammar that could be made up very easily. This is not unique at all and that is looking at specifically the language, not the culture. The culture doesn't make the language...the language(among other things) makes the culture. So your statement about Esperanto being unique because of the people who speak it makes no sense.
Esperanto was made so people from different cultures could speak to each other. It wasn't created for or by a certain group of people with a common culture. This is where my statement that Esperanto has no culture comes into play. There are made up languages that were designed for a group of people and have a culture behind them. The most notable would be the languages in the Lord of the Rings. J.R.R. Tolkien made up those languages, gave them a group of people, and a way of life. In my eyes that is what a cultural language is.
Of course there are people called Esperantists who are called this because they speak Esperanto, but I really wouldn't call that a culture. They could be French, German, English, Russian, etc. who may not have anything in common or even like each other.
These are my opinions and sorry to whoever I have offended. I wasn't trying to be rude and wasn't calling names especially when I know nothing about you like you were to me. I really shouldn't have said Esperanto has NO culture because if there are people who truly consider themselves Esperantists, and who share different aspects of their lives in common then they have a culture. But looking at Esperanto from the start without a common people in mind is where I was basing my term for culture off of.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version