United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6179 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: German

Message 1 of 19
20 January 2010 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
1. Pronunciation of vowels isn't the same between Esperanto and Spanish. For instance, "de" is pronounced differently between the languages.
2. Word order is not the same as English. Even the customary word order is different: Mi ne povas bone paroli Esperanton (literally, I not can well speak Esperanto). Or from La Sankta Biblio (The Holy Bible), translated by Zamenhof himself: Ne parolu kontraŭ via proksimulo malveran ateston (literally, Not talk against your fellow-man false attestation).
3. "Learners sometimes complain that the words are not as close to English as they could be". I've never heard that complaint from a learner. Plus, we know how conlangs that were based on English turned out.
4. "you can learn to read and write Esperanto in a matter of weeks, and for the slowest learners, in several months". I guess I'm slower than the slowest learners.
5. Esperanto speakers from everywhere seem to have a neutral accent (well, maybe not amateurs). Once I was listening to Australian radio in Esperanto and it sounded exactly the same as Polish, Chinese, Canadian, or any other Esperanto, until they started speaking in English, when you could hear the Aussie accent. The only people who seem to have a discernible accent while speaking Esperanto are Italians (even Renato Corsetti has one).
1 person has voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5396 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 2 of 19
21 January 2010 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
On number 2, it is most commonly formed as English sentences, but you ARE able to form them almost any way you would like. I remember seeing a sentence that had 6 variations but all the same meaning.

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6179 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 19
21 January 2010 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
On number 2, it is most commonly formed as English sentences, but you ARE able to form them almost any way you would like. I remember seeing a sentence that had 6 variations but all the same meaning.

So I assume it's the same concept as in other highly-agglutinated languages, where word order only changes emphasis, leaving the semantic meaning of the sentence more or less the same, because the suffixes of the words denote their roles in the sentence.

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5233 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 19
21 January 2010 at 5:35am | IP Logged 
I still don't think Esperanto is useful. It has no culture to be interested in, and sometimes accents can "make" the language. Like they can make it sound beautiful or make your ears bleed.

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5340 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 5 of 19
21 January 2010 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
Johntm wrote:
I still don't think Esperanto is useful. It has no culture to be interested in, and sometimes accents can "make" the language. Like they can make it sound beautiful or make your ears bleed.

Of course Esperanto has a culture. You don't have to like the culture or think it's interesting, but it certainly exists!

People do speak Esperanto with a wide variety of accents, and Esperantists generally have a very wide tolerance for differences in pronunciation (particularly with regard to vowels) as long as it doesn't impede understanding.

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5332 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 6 of 19
21 January 2010 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:

If the word order doesn't indeed alter the meaning that is a very poor utilization of features.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5480 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 7 of 19
21 January 2010 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
datsunking1 wrote:

If the word order doesn't indeed alter the meaning that is a very poor utilization of features.

Languages that do not use word order to alter meaning often use it to express emphasis. Whereas languages like English have to use intonation - which is hard to do in writing without seeming rude (e.g. underlining, or bolding).

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5340 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 8 of 19
21 January 2010 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
datsunking1 wrote:

The reason for this feature is to allow flexibility in how you express yourself. This means that people with different native languages can choose a word order that is relatively similar to their native language and so feels more natural for them. So someone who speaks an SVO language can say "mi amas vin", a speaker of an SOV language can say "mi vin amas" and both are understood perfectly.

The fact that changes in word order don't change meaning doesn't mean they're a waste of space. Esperanto poets for example often use this feature extensively.

Edited by davidwelsh on 21 January 2010 at 11:14am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version