5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 39
12 April 2010 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
There are three different types of Esperantists and some may be a mixture:

1. The idealists and utopists, who want to spread the language all over the world and want to solve the language problem (for example of the EU) with Esperanto. These people are also focused on the ideas of Ludoviko Zamenhof.

2. People who are interested in the language by itself and like to study the grammar, read Esperanto texts and talk in Esperanto, use the language for correspondence etc.

3. People who use Esperanto for practical reasons such as travelling (for example by using Pasporta Servo) and who like the Esperanto culture and community.

I am clearly a mixture of the second and the third category. I don't really match so much with the first category of Esperantists.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 13 April 2010 at 8:48am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Blunderstein
Triglot
Pro Member
Sweden
schackhandeln.se
Joined 5228 days ago

60 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Esperanto
Personal Language Map

Message 34 of 39
13 April 2010 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
So I read your article about chess written in Esperanto. The latest developments in chess are most interesting for me, I didn't know that Wladimir Kramnik and Viswanthan Anand were the latest international champions. I still know the times when both were regarded as aspiring young talents, but they have made their way, so to see.

I can't take credit for the main Vikipedio article about chess, I just updated it about Anand. The pages that I created were about Botvinnik and Smyslov, and other people have added to at least one of them since.
Perhaps you've heard about Carlsen from Norway. He is _the_ "aspiring talent" today, and might well be a future world champion.

Being an enthousiastic chess-player, I'm under the impression that there is a similarity between the chess community and the Esperanto community. Booth seem to attract highly individualistic people with an intellectual bent. It remains to be discovered if Esperantans are as nerdy as chess-players. I would not be surprised.
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 39
13 April 2010 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
Blunderstein wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
So I read your article about chess written in Esperanto. The latest developments in chess are most interesting for me, I didn't know that Wladimir Kramnik and Viswanthan Anand were the latest international champions. I still know the times when both were regarded as aspiring young talents, but they have made their way, so to see.

I can't take credit for the main Vikipedio article about chess, I just updated it about Anand. The pages that I created were about Botvinnik and Smyslov, and other people have added to at least one of them since.
Perhaps you've heard about Carlsen from Norway. He is _the_ "aspiring talent" today, and might well be a future world champion.

Being an enthousiastic chess-player, I'm under the impression that there is a similarity between the chess community and the Esperanto community. Booth seem to attract highly individualistic people with an intellectual bent. It remains to be discovered if Esperantans are as nerdy as chess-players. I would not be surprised.

Im a bit cut off of the latest developments in world chess, so Carlsen from Norway is not known to me. I have never seen a smilarity between the chess community and the Esperanto community. I know quite some Esperantists who are not at all intellectual. There are many Esperantists who only focus on Esperanto as a foreign language, as for example the "railway-esperantists" who all had jobs at the railways during their professional life.

The people of my former chess club I only remember as chess players, I had no private talks with them. So I am not so well informed about the backgrounds of chess players I played with/against.

I agree with you on the point that both chess players and Esperantists can be quite nerdy. I think that I can estimate this well.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 13 April 2010 at 9:30am

Blunderstein
Triglot
Pro Member
Sweden
schackhandeln.se
Joined 5228 days ago

60 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Esperanto
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 39
13 April 2010 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
Since I'm a beginner, I don't know any Esperantists really well yet. The ones I've interacted with are probably among the most enthousiastic, who are interested not only in the bare-bones language but also in the culture, language-learning as such etc.

When I started looking for Esperanto meetings, I was adviced almost immediately to go to the monthly "Nerdio", ("Nerd meeting"). At first I thought it was a joke, but "Nerdio" is actually the official name for these meetings. Being somewhat of a nerd myself, I like that.

You can also find find chess-players who are unintellectual, even though they are a minority. Chess is a haven for individualists, so you might find all kinds. I've played chess against people who perhaps shouldn't have been released from the mental institution, and also against at least one member of the Swedish Parliament.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6280 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 37 of 39
15 April 2010 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Are you into Go, the Asian board game, at all? I much prefer it to chess, and there's a
really good strategy guide for it published by a Japanese professional in Esperanto:
"Fundamento de taktiko kaj strategio en Go-ludo".
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 38 of 39
15 April 2010 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
There are three different types of Esperantists and some may be a mixture:

1. The idealists and utopists, who want to spread the language all over the world and want to solve the language problem (for example of the EU) with Esperanto. These people are also focused on the ideas of Ludoviko Zamenhof.

2. People who are interested in the language by itself and like to study the grammar, read Esperanto texts and talk in Esperanto, use the language for correspondence etc.

3. People who use Esperanto for practical reasons such as travelling (for example by using Pasporta Servo) and who like the Esperanto culture and community.

I belong to group #2, and regard reason #3 more as a bonus. I don't travel that much (at least not to/in countries where I don't speak the language), and don't know any esperantists in my area, but in high school there was a rumour that one of the science teachers had got a place to stay during one of his trips in Europe thanks to his skills in the language (and Pasporta Servo, I suppose).

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 39
16 April 2010 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
I'm mainly a type 2 learner, but if I get a chance to use it during a travel then I may also display some type 3-like behaviour.

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version