cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5648 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 25 of 39
09 April 2010 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Respect to you for having survived that and I hope you are able to look to the future. I bet you are a much stronger person than most people here because of your experiences - in more than one way. If your country wants to join the EU it would be great asset in my view. From what I understand pre-90s Yugoslavia had a lot going for it.. not to mention the nature looks fabulous through that area. That war was a terrible tragedy. How could that happen in the heart of modern Europe... I hope it will become known as "the last war ever in Europe".
1 person has voted this message useful

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5213 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 26 of 39
09 April 2010 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Well the main thing the war has taught me is that nationalism and blind patriotism is dangerous. I consider myself a globalist and a humanist and I try to improve myself every day and I hope one day I could do something for this world (I always wanted to open a school or an animal shelter or something like that).

So one would think that such languages as Esperanto would attract me? Unfortunately no. In my experience wanting to promote one thing at the expense of many is a bad idea. I would rather see a future in which people spoke several languages, like more than three, instead of one or two and one of them being an international language like Esperanto. I LOVE diversity and plurality and complex. Let's not dumb our selves down with a language like Esperanto I would say.

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5648 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 27 of 39
10 April 2010 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
The trouble is; most people don't have the capacity or interest in learning more than one foreign language... That language is currently English.

My view is that the choice is between (just to make an example), say:
English, Chinese, Russian, Spanish or Esperanto as the common language of communication..

Then I'd say that Esperanto is the least bad one, and the fairest.

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5213 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 28 of 39
10 April 2010 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
I understand people don't have the capacity or interest to learn more foreign languages... today, in this world. So what kind of world do we need in which people would gladly learn and study not just many languages but everything else too? We would need a world devoid of wars, poverty, brutality, lack of compassion, etc. A world where intellectual pursuits and self-betterment are everyone's prime objective in life. We would need a world much better than the one we live in now. So why not try creating that world? It seems like a fair objective even if it will take ten thousand years.

Or, we could all learn Esperanto or English and leave the world as it is.

Edited by Delodephius on 10 April 2010 at 12:36am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Blunderstein
Triglot
Pro Member
Sweden
schackhandeln.se
Joined 5228 days ago

60 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Esperanto
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 39
12 April 2010 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Now I just need some interesting content. So, dear community, please start writing/Speaking in Esperanto about the rearing of goldfish or travelling or UFOs ... anything but becoming the dominant world language, which clearly won't happen.

Last week I added two pages to the Esperanto Wikipedia about former world champions of chess. With around 127 000 articles in the "Vikipedio", there is at least some content around.
Since I started reading books in Esperanto, the thing I like most is the variety of viewpoints expressed. For instance, I found a book on the history of Vilnius (capital of Lithuania) written by a Lituanian. In spite of Lithaunia being a neighbour country of my native Sweden, this was the first time I found such a work.

Also, I have a personal interest in the conflict in Congo, since I have friends from that area. In my bag right now is a book in Esperanto about that conflict, written from a perspective that I didn't even know about a week ago (and I'm reasonably well read on the subject, having read a variety of texts in French and English).

And these are my first stumblings among Esperanto books.

My impression (which might be totally erroneous) is that the problem is more of an image problem: those Esperantists who talk about "Esperanto becoming everyone's second language" overshadow all the normal content that is available in Esperanto.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 39
12 April 2010 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Blunderstein wrote:
Last week I added two pages to the Esperanto Wikipedia about former world champions of chess. With around 127 000 articles in the "Vikipedio", there is at least some content around.

I am interested in chess and I would like to read about it in Esperanto, could you please give me the link to these pages of the Wikipedia?

Meanwhile I searched in the Wikipedia and found the pages. So I read your article about chess written in Esperanto. The latest developments in chess are most interesting for me, I didn't know that Wladimir Kramnik and Viswanthan Anand were the latest international champions. I still know the times when both were regarded as aspiring young talents, but they have made their way, so to see.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 12 April 2010 at 9:38pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 39
12 April 2010 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
I have had much pleasure of Wikipedia in Esperanto (and in a lot of other languages). Wikipedia is one of the most impressive projects on the internet, and I have already referred to the impressive number of articles in Esperanto in another post. One reason that it is valuable to have such a multilingual dictionary is that you can learn a lot of valuable words and expressions about your chosen subject in one place. So maybe it was wrong of me to say "please start to..." without mention that there is at least one Esperantean subcommunity that already is busy doing the thing I called for ... writing about all kinds of things.

I agree with Blunderstein when he writes "My impression (which might be totally erroneous) is that the problem is more of an image problem: those Esperantists who talk about "Esperanto becoming everyone's second language" overshadow all the normal content that is available in Esperanto. "

Edited by Iversen on 12 April 2010 at 9:44pm

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version