Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5407 days ago

41 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Portuguese

Message 1 of 39
29 August 2009 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
I've never studied Esperanto, but I've become interested about the language after reading some of the comments on
this forum. Can anyone who already speaks Esperanto, tell me what kind of people they have met who also speak
the language. For example are they mainly a certain age, or particular nationality, or do they mainly come from
certain income levels? Are there about equal numbers of males and females?

Edited by Fasulye on 12 April 2010 at 9:40pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 39
29 August 2009 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Gray Parrot wrote:
I've never studied Esperanto, but I've become interested about the language after reading some of the comments on
this forum. Can anyone who already speaks Esperanto, tell me what kind of people they have met who also speak
the language. For example are they mainly a certain age, or particular nationality, or do they mainly come from
certain income levels?

I've seen a pretty nice mixture of ages, nationalities, and incomes.

I've seen everything from kids who can't even be 6 years old yet, to people who must have been retired for quite a while.

Nationalities have always been extremely mixed, except at very tiny local events, which can vary from one nationality per person to everyone being local. There's been a preponderance of Europeans at the events I've gone to, but I'm new and have only been to events in Europe - and there have been people from Brazil, Africa, North America, Australia, Asia, etc too, just not many.

In terms of income levels, there's a wider range than I've encountered at any other sort of meeting. At one end, there are students, squatters, and the permanently-unemployed-by-choice, but there are also quite a lot of computer professionals, etc, and some people who are even better off, though they generally don't exactly run around yelling about it.

Gray Parrot wrote:
Are there about equal numbers of males and females?

Overall, probably, but not within all countries. I've heard the German movement is about 50/50, the Americans are 90% male, the Russians are 90% female, and so forth. It's been pretty 50/50 in the regions I've visited.

Edited by Volte on 29 August 2009 at 8:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5658 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 39
29 August 2009 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
In Germany and the Netherlands there as many male as there are female Esperantists. In both countries more older people than younger ones.

Fasulye

lancemanion
Triglot
United States
Joined 5383 days ago

150 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 4 of 39
29 August 2009 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
I planned to study Esperanto once, but it seemed everyone I talked to online had a very strong political agenda,
which they could not drop even when I said I wasn't interested in politics. That turned me off on the language. Now
this was online, so can I assume things are different in real life? Are the majority of Esperanto speakers you meet in
person more laid back?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 39
29 August 2009 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
lancemanion wrote:
I planned to study Esperanto once, but it seemed everyone I talked to online had a very strong political agenda,
which they could not drop even when I said I wasn't interested in politics. That turned me off on the language. Now
this was online, so can I assume things are different in real life? Are the majority of Esperanto speakers you meet in
person more laid back?

I can think of very few people I've met like that, online or off, and none have been Esperanto speakers. I think you just hit a patch of bad luck there.

lancemanion
Triglot
United States
Joined 5383 days ago

150 posts - 166 votes 

Message 6 of 39
30 August 2009 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
I can think of very few people I've met like that, online or off, and none have been Esperanto
speakers. I think you just hit a patch of bad luck there.

That's good to hear. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6179 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: German

Message 7 of 39
09 September 2009 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
lancemanion wrote:
person more laid back?

Reading Esperanto blogs, they don't seem that different from English blogs. Some talk about themselves, some about their religion, some about their politics, some about science, and most about various subjects.

lancemanion
Triglot
United States
Joined 5383 days ago

150 posts - 166 votes 

Message 8 of 39
13 September 2009 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
I believe you.

The first time I was considering learning it, I asked a forum friend about it, and he offered to give me everything I needed
to learn the language, and would throw in tons of stuff from other languages if I promised to learn esperanto first. When I
eventually decided to do French first, he got very upset, and started telling my what a horrible language French was. Then
he went on about how esperanto was the new global language, and it was necessary to recruit as many new speakers as
possible, and would solve various political problems, etc. That turned me off for a while.

Next time, I asked some very benign questions about the language online, and without me even getting involved after that
point, people were dropping in and professing that esperanto needs to replace English as the language of diplomacy
(which I thought was French), because English is so oppressive and unfair to other languages, etc, etc. An of course there
were strong counter-attacks by esperanto haters.

Since then, I've noticed many esperanto threads go out of control like this, so I know my thread wasn't that unusual. I don't
see this happening to any other language in forums. But I will assume this is just kids arguing on the internet, and doesn't
reflect esperantists true dispositions.

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version