United States
Joined 5980 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 42
02 August 2009 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
I was gonna say Burmese until Fat-tony mentioned it was the most regular of a group of four alphabets. So, I'd like to propose the classical Mongolian script. I've never had the chance to study it yet (though I'd like to) but it looks to be quite daunting. That it was different letter forms for beginning, middle, and end positions in a word makes me think it's comparable to Arabic to an extent.
1 person has voted this message useful

icing_death
United States
Joined 5655 days ago

296 posts - 302 votes 

Message 18 of 42
02 August 2009 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Maybe you shouldn't base difficulty on how it looks. I've heard Arabic, which looks quite difficult, isn't too bad.

qklilx
United States
Joined 5980 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 42
03 August 2009 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Very true. I can't tell you how many of my friends are shocked that I was able to learn the Korean alphabet. A surprising number of people think it's kind of like Chinese characters where you have to learn each one individually. Looks can be quite deceiving!

Ertugrul
Diglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 5456 days ago

63 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 20 of 42
03 August 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
I think, Arabic is not too hard. At least it has an alphabet in which any individual character represents a letter (for consonants). And vowel marks are not too difficult to learn; once you make necessary practice and your eyes/ears/mind are accustomed to them this will not be a problem anymore.

I guess, Chinese is very hard.

Z.J.J
China
Joined 5402 days ago

243 posts - 305 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 21 of 42
05 August 2009 at 4:28am | IP Logged 

Z.J.J
China
Joined 5402 days ago

243 posts - 305 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 22 of 42
05 August 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
I feel the alphabet of Thai is more difficult to master than that of Arabic, Hebrew, Devanagari, Greek, Cyrillic. Does anyone else feel this way?

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5632 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 23 of 42
05 August 2009 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
ZJJ you are beginning to spook me!!! :-)

It's unbelievable that you have learnt all these alphabets plus thousands of Chinese signs no doubt. I don't think anybody else on the site knows that many..

Or perhaps your experience with learning signs makes you very fast at learning the new letters?

Someone else recently commented that the Thai alphabet was harder than any other. What is it that makes it hard?

icing_death
United States
Joined 5655 days ago

296 posts - 302 votes 

Message 24 of 42
05 August 2009 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
What is it that makes it hard?

somebody else wrote:

Some of the things that makes it hard: over 100 symbols (including punction, numbers, etc); no spaces between words; vowels can come before, after, above or below consonants for a given syllable; short vowels and long vowels; 5 tones (including neutral); tones are determined by a combination of tone marks, consonant class, if the syllable ends with a sonorant final or a stop final, and sometimes what the tone of the preceding syllable was; consonant pronunciations frequently vary depending on the location in the syllable (S can change to T, for example); vowels are sometimes unwritten; there are many consonants with the same pronunciation (there are 6 T's for example, and more if you count the S's that turn into T's when they change position in a syllable); there are several consonant cluster rules and I'm sure there are some other things that I don't know off the top of my head.

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version