Joe.Hill
United States
Joined 5392 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Kannada

Message 9 of 42
30 July 2009 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Actually Hindi is one of the easiest because everything is spelled exactly as it is
pronounced. It is just a different system than English, etc. With dedication, one can
learn it in a week or maybe two. Arabic and Hebrew don't indicate all vowels. I know that
in Hebrew they only use it for children's books, foreign names, etc. I have heard
Malayalam script is hard to learn at first.

Edited by Joe.Hill on 30 July 2009 at 4:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Park-Spirit
Bilingual Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5517 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, Turkish*
Studies: Hindi

Message 10 of 42
30 July 2009 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
I find the Arabic script to be very hard, as the letters change forms depending if the letter is written at the beginning, middle or ending of the word. And as stated before Arabic is generally written with unmarked vowels, it requires you to know the words to be able to read them the proper way.

The Devanagari script for the Hindi language (which I'm currently studying as I learn the language) is very easy, I have not encountered any difficulty as I went through the whole alphabet. There is not much rules to learn, and there is no such uppercase or lowercase letters they are all written in one version as seen. And I must say the letters are like peices of a beautiful art, they look amazing to me.

Edited by Park-Spirit on 30 July 2009 at 10:27pm

Fat-tony
Nonaglot
United Kingdom
jiahubooks.co.uk
Joined 5934 days ago

288 posts - 441 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto, Thai, Laotian, Urdu, Swedish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian, Arabic (Written), Armenian, Pali, Burmese

Message 11 of 42
30 July 2009 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Arabic and Devanagari (and its Indian derivatives i.e. Gurumukhi, Bengali, Gujurati,
Oriya, even Sinhala and Tamil) are not unduly difficult, the forms can take some
getting used to but the ideas are quite straight forward i.e. "say what you see". When
you get to Burmese, Thai, Lao and Khmer, there are many more rules governing tones
(here's the Thai tone rules,
Lao's are similarly complex), vowel pronouciation (search for "Khmer writing" on
youtube, go the "Khmer lessons" playlist), consonant classes etc which just make them
far more complex. Burmese is probably the most regular of the four. Khmer is regular
but has loads of seldom used diacritics and symbols so you're always picking up more
and more rules. Personally I think Thai is the hardest since Lao simplified it's
spelling, Thai still uses many letters (there are 5 "t"s) to represent Sanskrit/Pali
pronouciation in loan words (Urdu and Farsi use the same system of maintaining Arabic
spelling even though speakers don't differentiate between, say, swad and sin or qaf and
kaf).
After 7 years of Thai and being able to speak quite fluently and read a newspaper, I
still don't know the tone rules, I just know how to pronounce words and learn their
spelling separately.

Minlawc
United States
Joined 6326 days ago

24 posts - 56 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 12 of 42
30 July 2009 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
I may get yelled at for this, but... The International Phonetic Alphabet? It may not be that hard to write, but try pronouncing each of them distinctly!

Edited by Minlawc on 30 July 2009 at 11:44pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Z.J.J
China
Joined 5402 days ago

243 posts - 305 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 14 of 42
31 July 2009 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
Quote:

(The Thai alphabet is probably the hardest one to learn,)
(After 7 years of Thai and being able to speak quite fluently and read a newspaper, I still don't know the tone rules, I just know how to pronounce words and learn their spelling separately.)

This sounds a little horrible, and it throws cold water on my enthusiasm for learning Thai, though it belongs to tonal languages just as Chinese does, and becomes quite popular in southern China.

Edited by Z.J.J on 31 July 2009 at 7:29am

icing_death
United States
Joined 5655 days ago

296 posts - 302 votes 

Message 15 of 42
01 August 2009 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Chinese is not an alphabet.

Yes, and English is Germanic. I'm sure these are technically correct, but I disagree with them in principle.
Fat-tony wrote:
I think Thai is the hardest

Me too.

Britomartis
Groupie
United States
Joined 5603 days ago

67 posts - 74 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 16 of 42
02 August 2009 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
The Arabic alphabet is easy to learn. It's not that hard to learn to associate the various forms of a letter with each other. It took me only a couple weeks to learn it, though had I practiced every day, I could have learned it in a week or so- it took me less than a week to learn both Hebrew alphabets. . .

Arabic does have vowel markings, but those are often left out. That is not an issue with the alphabet though, but with vocabulary. If you know the word, then you will easily recognize it written and know its pronunciation.

My guess is that most alphabets are easy to learn. I haven't tried learning a character-based writing system, but I'm awfully sure that those are much more difficult.

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version