United States
Joined 5175 days ago

191 posts - 428 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 97 of 121
05 May 2010 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:

Wow! Where do you live? (If you don't mind my asking...)

Oops! I didn't see the response.

I live in Boston.

English - given

Spanish - given, for most large US cities

Portuguese - New England has a very large Portuguese community since the 1820s, and Boston itself has attracted a lot of Brazilian immigrants and (I think) the largest Cape Verdean community in the US.

French - Mostly exchange students at our universities, or the Quebecois who decide to wander down to "warmer" weather. As a side note, we have a very large number of Haitian immigrants, some of whom are bilingual in French and Creole.

Arabic - Boston has a large community of Lebanese Christians, about half of whom still speak Arabic. Unfortunately for my studies they've generally spread out into the suburbs, but we still have many many students from the Arab world who come to Harvard, MIT, et al.

Russian - Less common nowadays, but we still have a strong Russian community in one or two neighborhoods.

Chinese - We've got a small Chinatown. Nothing like NYC of course, but it's been there quite some time. I believe it was mostly Cantonese speakers at first, but Mandarin speakers seem to be slowly becoming the majority.

We also have a lot of Japanese and Korean exchange students, and a small but pretty active Turkish community. Not bad for a smaller city!
1 person has voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5125 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 98 of 121
05 May 2010 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
Dutch
English
French
German
Turkish

Typical day really.

Edited by ReneeMona on 05 May 2010 at 1:12am

Tenebrarum
Groupie
United States
Joined 5196 days ago

84 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi

Message 99 of 121
05 May 2010 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
robsolete wrote:
ellasevia wrote:

Wow! Where do you live? (If you don't mind my asking...)

I live in Boston.

I was in Boston for a school trip a few days ago and I didn't want to leave! Really
love that place so I'm sure I'll go over the summer (I live on Long Island, NY...).
But yeah I loved the diversity/languages - something I'm sadly not used to when I'm
home/not in college.

Languages I've heard today:

English (in the U.S...)
Hindi (Mostly music)
Arabic (Music and documentary film)
Dinka (I think... documentary film)
Japanese (Friends)

Olympia
Triglot
United States
Joined 5771 days ago

195 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Old English, French

Message 100 of 121
11 June 2010 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
English. It's all around me, of course.

Spanish. I listen to music and watch videos in Spanish every day, and I e-mailed a Spanish-speaking friend as
well.

Portuguese. Same with Spanish. I always listen to music and watch videos in Portuguese. However I am not
fortunate enough to have access to many Portuguese speakers in my daily life. So I don't get to hear it as much as
I'd like.

betaquarx
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5509 days ago

70 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 101 of 121
16 July 2010 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
I never heard so much Spanish in a day in my hometown. Followed by a lot of Dutch and some Russian.

dolly
United States
Joined 5580 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 102 of 121
16 July 2010 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
French: Engrenages (TV series)

Songs in Farsi, Urdu and Turkish performed by Azam Ali on the album Nine Heavens

Tally
Bilingual Diglot
Israel
Joined 5398 days ago

135 posts - 176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Modern Hebrew*
Studies: French

Message 103 of 121
18 July 2010 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Today I heard a language I could not recognize and it was driving me insane! And I was
surprised at myself for not recognizing it... I wanted to ask the people but they were
gone before I could do it. Grrr now it won't stop haunting me. It could just be a dialect
of some language but still I needed to know.

Edited by Tally on 18 July 2010 at 11:57pm

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5932 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 104 of 121
18 July 2010 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Tally wrote:
Today I heard a language I could not recognize and it was driving me insane! And I was surprised at myself for not recognizing it... I wanted to ask the people but they were
gone before I could do it. Grr now it won't stop haunting me. It could just be a dialect
of some language but still I needed to know.

I absolutely HATE it when that happens to me. I was just on a big trip that took me across three continents, so I naturally was trying to identify a bunch of languages, and I couldn't figure out some of them. One of the most annoying was when there was a family on the airplane in the seats right in front of me and they were speaking a language that sounded very familiar but that I could not figure out. At first I thought it was a dialect of English, and then perhaps Danish. Finally I realized that they were speaking German and I couldn't believe that I hadn't been able to figure that one out immediately!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 121 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version