carlonove
United States
Joined 5774 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 9 of 23
31 May 2009 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Most of the books I think you're looking for are in Italian. I haven't studied Dante in depth, so be forewarned that the following is just what I found on Google. Try the following titles in Google Books:

Dante e la Lingua Italiana

Lezioni della Lingua Toscana

Della Lingua Toscana

Also, search for the author Claudio Marazzini on www.unilibro.it, he's written a slew of books on the history of the Italian language.

Then again, if you're just starting out in Italian and want to jump right in, it might be better to look for a couple of (heavily footnoted) dual-text translations in addition to whatever beginner Italian materials you're using. You could compare one version that's ultra-literal with another that tries to follow the original poetic meter, essentially using the texts as an additional learning tool. I must say, when I first posted I wasn't interested in reading Dante, but now that I've looked through all these sites I'm probably going to give it a try myself:) Tanti Auguri,

--Carlonove
1 person has voted this message useful

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5221 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 10 of 23
14 April 2010 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Jackal11, good luck to you. This is also one of my life goals.

Jackal11
Groupie
United States
Joined 5450 days ago

41 posts - 45 votes
Studies: German, Latin

Message 11 of 23
15 April 2010 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
dmaddock1 wrote:
Jackal11, good luck to you. This is also one of my life goals.

If that is so, then you may find the book titled 'La Divina Commedia' by Charles Grandgent helpful. A portion of the text may be seen here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=F0IOAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PR9&dq= charles+grandgent+divina+commedia&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5221 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 

Message 12 of 23
15 April 2010 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
Thanks Jackal, that looks like a very useful volume! Handy to print out one canto at a time and work through it. I was in Rome last summer and I regret passing up the opportunity to buy a beautiful old edition of the Commedia in Italian, though I think I would've been too afraid to read it.

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5235 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 13 of 23
15 April 2010 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
I liked the facing page translation by Mandelbaum - it captured the flow of the poem but it was fairly easy to identify what was going on in the Italian even though it wasn't just literal line by line. And the notes were clear and copious. I only read the Inferno, but I found it quite satisfying to be able to push through the Italian without having to sit constantly with a dictionary.

As a side note, I think a decent grasp of modern Italian ought be sufficient to the task of working your way through a well-annotated facing page translation. The hardest part with Dante is not grammar; it's vocabulary and the contractions needed to make the lines work. For these, a solid knowledge of Italian and footnotes are more useful than trying to develop your own sense of Tuscan only to find yourself confronting things that have nothing to do with Tuscan per se and everything to do with making the poem work.

And once you've read the bilingual text once or twice, you'll be able to go back to it and just ignore the right hand side. In a sense, I wonder... if you search these forums you'll find oodles of plaudits for Assimil... if you've got the background, there's no reason you couldn't use a well-annotated facing page translation as your very own "Using Dante's Tuscan".
3 persons have voted this message useful

bela_lugosi
Hexaglot
Finland
Joined 6242 days ago

272 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English, Finnish*, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Estonian, Sámi, Latin

Message 14 of 23
15 April 2010 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:
You would have to be a genius to understand it in Italian as a second language.    

Not quite so. Obviously even native Italians need footnotes in order to be able to understand the 14th century words that have not survived in spoken Italian, but I'd say from experience (I've read Inferno and Purgatorio in Italian, but sadly I haven't had time to continue further..) that it's not impossible.
Your Italian needs to be at a rather advanced level + you should know lots about the Tuscan dialects (especially Florentine), Greek and Roman mythology, and local history. Before taking on this seemingly impossible reading task I had studied Italian philology at university, studied ancient mythology and medieval history, and of course, achieved a high level of fluency in Italian (both oral and written) and lived in Tuscany for a couple of years.
Even when you're equipped with insane amounts of information and linguistic skills, you still need footnotes in order to understand the cultural references in La Divina Commedia. There are things that even experts might not know.

Keep on studying Italian and maybe one day you will be able to read it in the original language! :)

Edited by bela_lugosi on 15 April 2010 at 5:33pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

dolly
United States
Joined 5578 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Studies: Latin

Message 15 of 23
15 April 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
The Princeton Dante Project: a line-by-line Italian-English edition of the Commedia + streaming audio.

Edited by dolly on 15 April 2010 at 6:51pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5221 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 

Message 16 of 23
15 April 2010 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
dolly wrote:
The Princeton Dante Project: a line-by-line Italian-English edition of the Commedia + streaming audio.

Awesome!

bela_lugosi wrote:

you should know lots about [...] Greek and Roman mythology, and local history. [...]
Even when you're equipped with insane amounts of information and linguistic skills, you still need footnotes in order to understand the cultural references in La Divina Commedia.

True, but I'd suggest that's true of reading it in translation also. Plus, much of that preparation can be done in your native language. I've read the DC three times in different English prose and verse translations and worked through several lecture series on Dante so I am already well-equipped. It sounds like the actual Italian and Dante's poetic idioms will be my main obstacle, rather than context.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version