glidefloss
United States
Joined 5766 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 9 of 18
16 May 2009 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
Bob, do you think LR is useful? Did you start fresh? Which language are you using it for?
1 person has voted this message useful

Bob Greaves
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6477 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 10 of 18
16 May 2009 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
Glidefloss
I am using it for Spanish. I didn't start "fresh". I started with Pimsleur (Comprehensive and Plus), checked out all MT, and moved on to Platiquemos (updated FSI) and did about 3/8 but it was not pleasant.
I then started to look for something different and decided to try either Prof A's shadowing or L-R. I could not quite understand some of the details required for shadowing, so I plumped for L-R. The instructions for L-R, I thought, were much more specific. So one morning I copied all the relevant info from the original thread onto a word file (missing out all the nonsense that clogged the thread) and started L-R.
I am not sure how effective L-R is yet. Since I haven't had a feeling of a breakthrough it's difficult to judge, although I am sure that little by little my comprehension is improving. The main problem, apart from long hours (I try for 3 hours a day on weekdays and sometimes 5 hours on weekends) is the quality of material. The books that are available have been: World Without End, Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Harry Potter. The Dan Brown books were so awful that I felt I had lost the will to live by the end. The one in reserve is Don Quijote, but I am concerned that the language may be archaic and I won't be able to know that it's not current.
Bob

JS-1
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5781 days ago

144 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), German, Japanese, Ancient Egyptian, Arabic (Written)

Message 11 of 18
20 May 2009 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
I think one important thing left out of most L-R discussions is the huge variation in
the way that a text can be read. I have two German audiobooks. One is Siddhartha by
Hermann Hesse, and the other is Das Parfum by Patrick Süskind. The recording of the
Hesse book is very easy to follow, while the other sounds quite indistinct. They are
both commercial recordings, and the issue is not so much the sound quality as the
style of the narrator. I also found the same thing with Japanese, where some
recordings are quite easy to follow while others sound like nonsense to me.

Anyway, I found L-R very useful for German, but had less success with Japanese,
although I did German more intensively. Somehow I can follow conversations in German
that are above my level in the language -if that makes any sense. It hasn't helped me
to speak though...

Bob Greaves
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6477 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 

Message 12 of 18
20 May 2009 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
Bob Greaves wrote:
Does anyone feel that they have reached "Natural Listening", as described by in the various comments by Ms L-R (aka Atamagaii etc).
If you think you did/have acheived it can you say what it felt like?
I have now done a considerable amount of L-R (probably about 100 hrs) but am not sure what I should be experiencing.

Bump.
For all the discussions on the perceived efficacy (or not) of L-R, I am still amazed at the seeming lack of anyone seeing it through to a satisfactory conclusion.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5564 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 13 of 18
20 May 2009 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
So far I did only about 20 hours of L-R for Spanish and I find that my general listening comprehension has increased (I suddenly understand lyrics to shouted and whined Japanese rock songs without paying special attention. I can't think of anything else I did differently, other than said L-R)

I personally think that, unless you already have reached basic fluency, understanding an unknown foreign word at natural speed can only happen if you already have a firm grasp on the context and have a word for it in your first (or second ...) language.

I've been listening to thr NHK Spanish news and understand surprisingly many 'unknown' words, but they hardly speak at natural speed. The BBC Mundo news are more challenging and I those speakers also speak quite slowly.
The words I do understand this way are mostly cognates, loanwords or words I know the Latin roots of, like terremoto - words I might've understood in reading, but not when spoken.

Edited by Bao on 20 May 2009 at 2:33pm

JS-1
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5781 days ago

144 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), German, Japanese, Ancient Egyptian, Arabic (Written)

Message 14 of 18
20 May 2009 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Bob Greaves wrote:
Bob Greaves wrote:
Does anyone feel that they have reached
"Natural Listening", as described by in the various comments by Ms L-R (aka Atamagaii
etc).
If you think you did/have acheived it can you say what it felt like?
I have now done a considerable amount of L-R (probably about 100 hrs) but am not sure
what I should be experiencing.

Bump.
For all the discussions on the perceived efficacy (or not) of L-R, I am still amazed
at the seeming lack of anyone seeing it through to a satisfactory conclusion.

I think the problem with seeing it through to a satisfactory conclusion is that (for
me at least) once the text has become transparent it is extremely boring to go through
it again. The peculiar combination of intense concentration and boredom can become
very difficult for a six-hour stretch. I just couldn't bring myself to continue with
the same text -no matter what the reward. Maybe a change of books at this stage would
have been a good idea.

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5609 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 15 of 18
20 May 2009 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Bob Greaves wrote:
The instructions for L-R, I thought, were much more specific. So one morning I copied all the relevant info from the original thread onto a word file (missing out all the nonsense that clogged the thread) and started L-R.

Bob, it would be wonderful if you could post the text of that word file. :-D

Bob Greaves
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6477 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 

Message 16 of 18
20 May 2009 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
[/QUOTE]
Bob, it would be wonderful if you could post the text of that word file. :-D[/QUOTE]
Someone (Volte I think) also did it and posted somewhere in the forum. Not sure where though. I will try to find it later.

Later:
I think this is the summary on rapidshare:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=12368&KW=l%2Dr

Edited by Bob Greaves on 20 May 2009 at 5:22pm

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version