vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6741 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 1 of 121
12 May 2009 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Have a look on this video and please comment his fluency.

I can say that his English is perfect, so his french and his Spanish .

http://www.youtube.com/w atch?v =L3w8y HrqFiQ

Edited by Fasulye on 08 December 2011 at 7:10pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5461 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 121
12 May 2009 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Had to get rid of the space between y and H.

His English is great I agree. His skill seems to lie within his accents, I would say it is spotless with English! Just a bit of hesitation marred it.

It is low-brow to mention he is quite the looker? ;D
4 persons have voted this message useful

Russianbear
Triglot
United States
Joined 6556 days ago

358 posts - 422 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, Ukrainian
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 121
13 May 2009 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Yes, this guy is amazing. We already discussed him in a couple of other threads. The only chink in the armor seems to be his Russian, but even his Russian is still pretty good, especially the accent. I've seen people with (apparently) less skills than him claim fluency in Russian language, so I would find it hard to object even if he DID claim to be fluent in Russian, which he doesn't. Personally, I have a hard time evaluating his Russian skills based on his videos. When I first saw his Russian video I thought he was definitely less than fluent, but now I think I may have been too critical and maybe it is too hard to tell one way or another.

Edited by Russianbear on 13 May 2009 at 12:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

Witproduct
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5460 days ago

19 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: French

Message 4 of 121
13 May 2009 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
His Dutch is okay. His accent a little bit forced, but I have often spoken foreigners who lived in the Netherlands speaking with this accent. Most Dutch themselves speak a little less harsh.
He almost could fool me he's a native speaker.

Edited by Witproduct on 13 May 2009 at 2:59am

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5592 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 5 of 121
13 May 2009 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
I definitely would have said he was a native English speaker, though how a guy from Italy ended up with a Cairo, Illinois, accent, I can only guess.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Eduard
Decaglot
Norway
Joined 5806 days ago

166 posts - 170 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, NorwegianC1, Swedish, Danish, English, German, ItalianB1, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 6 of 121
27 May 2009 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
My experience is that mastering, or at least greatly resembling a native accent in the target language helps in being perceived as being fluent. If you've got your 'like, sort of, kinda' breaker words, that give you time to think, available, people may quickly take you for a native.

This is not meant as critique, it is rather a helpful hint :-). And btw the Italian guy does a good job at speaking the languages. I only cannot say something relevant to his Russian, as I don't speak that language.

His Dutch btw sounds better than his Swedish, but as someone else already mentioned, his accent is commonly associated with elite or posh people, comparable to stiff upper lip British English, yet therefore no better or worse than any other kind of standard Dutch.
3 persons have voted this message useful

paparaciii
Diglot
Latvia
Joined 6117 days ago

204 posts - 223 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian
Studies: English

Message 7 of 121
28 May 2009 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
I hope one day to speak with the accent that he has got in English. Not in Russian, though. :D

Edited by paparaciii on 28 May 2009 at 11:23am

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 8 of 121
28 May 2009 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
His Swedish is ok - he sounds like one of the people who arrived to Sweden from Italy during the labour immigration of the 1970s. What he's saying is merely a rant with no particular message. Mostly he's talking about wanting to speak to blonde women, blah, blah. What a cliche! :-) But I am impressed anyway.

It would be interesting to hear what his techniques are, for learning languages.

This discussion contains 121 messages over 16 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version