China
Joined 5513 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 33 of 34
12 March 2010 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
True enough, you can end up with a hotchpotch of different accents if you're none too careful. The brain just treats it all like a big Pic'n'Mix and selects whatever it likes and feels comforable with. That's why it's best to use these type of activities to enrich your listening skills and understanding, and practise speaking more consistently with the real locals in an immersion environment instead.

One thing I've noticed again and again is that if you speak with a strong accent in a target language, native speakers unaccustomed to that part of the country are far more likely to mistake you for a fluent native speaker. I remember chatting with a Swedish guy in Stockholm who had an amazing Mancunian accent, and another who lived for a year in Mississippi and sounded like the real deal. As I'm currently learning German, maybe I should start speaking Kölsch, or even Hessisch God forbid? :)

Excuse me, but what do you mean by 'God forbid' here, please?! :P
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5334 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 34 of 34
12 March 2010 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
Apologies for any offence Pyx (and any of our forum members who might be from the Hessen region of course), but I find Hessisch is such a very challenging accent to get to grips with in German. Sometimes it sounds like a totally different language to me, and everything seems to end in "gell?". I had a similar experience when holidaying in the Tyrolean mountains of Alpbach in Austria one year, and just couldn't understand hardly anything at all. I wish I could understand Hessisch better too, and I do keep trying. So all kudos to anyone who can pick it up well, maybe you can share a few tips?

Regarding the phrase (covering all angles here), I come from an Irish family, here's the meaning ;)

Edited by Teango on 12 March 2010 at 2:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version