William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6072 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 25 of 42
21 February 2009 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
People all the time use phrases whose origins they don't know. I suppose it is a case of whether you take the world for granted or not.
Someone I find interesting, William Tyndale, lived in a day when the Latin version of the Bible was taken for granted. Tyndale, an early Protestant and quite a considerable linguist, devoted his later life to translating it into English and a lot of his translation has entered the language, since it strongly influenced the King James Bible.
1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6072 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 26 of 42
21 February 2009 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Raincrowlee wrote:
krog wrote:
Examples: 'Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears'
               lend me your ears = aures mihi date (presumably?)

Isn't that Shakespeare?

That is indeed Shakespeare. He may have based the speech on Plutarch's account of events, but Plutarch wrote in Greek.

Olympia
Triglot
United States
Joined 5781 days ago

195 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Old English, French

Message 27 of 42
21 February 2009 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
I would say that anyone who tells you (or attempts to demonstrate to you) that he or she knows Latin probably
doesn't know it as well as he or she thinks. Most of the people I've found who actually know a fair bit of Latin are
pretty modest about it. I can't count the number of times that I've heard someone misuse a Latin phrase.
Unfortunately most people don't notice the mistake, but it's really embarrassing.

jbbar
Belgium
Joined 5600 days ago

192 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 28 of 42
21 February 2009 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Does Latin make you clever?

No, but there's a good chance it will make you delusional. I've seen plenty of these people who've learned Latin and Greek in school and I notice they tend to THINK they are more clever than others. In reality they're not any more intelligent, well-informed or smarter than the Average Joe. On the whole they tend have a large presence among high-educated idiots who live in fancy ivory towers and just love to whine about the civilization that thanks its existence to a blend of Latin, Greek and Hebrew.

Keeping yourself well-informed and learning to think for yourself willl make you clever. But what really makes you a clever person is sound morals and principles.

Edited by jbbar on 21 February 2009 at 3:33am

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6072 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 29 of 42
21 February 2009 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
In Withnail & I, a British film made in 1986, Uncle Monty and his nephew Withnail exchange comments in Latin at one point. It is little more than a sign that they both went to public school. The third person in the scene, Marwood, probably didn't as he does not seem to realise what they are saying.

krog
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5849 days ago

146 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Latin

Message 30 of 42
21 February 2009 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
Raincrowlee wrote:
krog wrote:

Isn't that Shakespeare?

That is indeed Shakespeare. He may have based the speech on Plutarch's account of events, but Plutarch wrote in Greek.

It looks like I might be suggesting that Shakespeare stole some of his creativity by just very literally translating things out of Latin. The last thing I'd want to do is insult the Great Bard. But he did go to one of those schools all filled with dark wooden furnishings, where you probably got caned pretty bad if you messed your Latin conjugations up.

Didn't Shakespeare have (allegedly) 'little Latin, and less Greek'? I don't think he knew much Greek. What languages are in the plays? There's a book by David Crystal precisely about this, 'Shakespeare's Words', but I don't have it to hand. Quite a bit of French, some Spanish and Italian and a little bit of Latin. Could Shakespeare actually speak French? There must be a page at least of French dialogue in Henry V.

krog
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5849 days ago

146 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Latin

Message 31 of 42
21 February 2009 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
jbbar wrote:

[W]hat really makes you a clever person is sound morals and principles.

Wouldn't that just make you a decent person?

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6072 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 32 of 42
21 February 2009 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
krog wrote:
William Camden wrote:
Raincrowlee wrote:
krog wrote:

Isn't that Shakespeare?

It looks like I might be suggesting that Shakespeare stole some of his creativity by just very literally translating things out of Latin. The last thing I'd want to do is insult the Great Bard. But he did go to one of those schools all filled with dark wooden furnishings, where you probably got caned pretty bad if you messed your Latin conjugations up.

Didn't Shakespeare have (allegedly) 'little Latin, and less Greek'? I don't think he knew much Greek. What languages are in the plays? There's a book by David Crystal precisely about this, 'Shakespeare's Words', but I don't have it to hand. Quite a bit of French, some Spanish and Italian and a little bit of Latin. Could Shakespeare actually speak French? There must be a page at least of French dialogue in Henry V.

That was Ben Jonson's comment on him in an obituary poem. Jonson himself was very erudite. Someone who claimed to have known Shakespeare said later in the 17th century that Shakespeare knew Latin quite well and had been a schoolmaster before going to London. There is an entire scene in Henry V in French. Shakespeare lodged with a family of French Protestant refugees for a while, and may have learned French from them.   

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version