United States
languageprograms.blo
Joined 6994 days ago

264 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 1 of 10
05 September 2005 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
After familiarizing myself with a few of the language programs(pimsleur, assimil, various readers, TSY...etc) I've noticed that they aren't much in depth when it comes to set up. Why don't we see small companies run by professors and language enthusiasts? It would be great if a Pimsleur style course went beyond 2,000 words, nice short stories with the audio slowed down to a beginners level, all for a reasonable price. Platiquemos is the only program that I can think of.
1 person has voted this message useful

DonbertK
Diglot
United States
Joined 7015 days ago

23 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 2 of 10
05 September 2005 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
The users of this website could probably create a terrific language program. Would anyone be interested?

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6943 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 3 of 10
06 September 2005 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
I have put together a program for learning survival Malay. This was purely for my own benefit and I have taken it from several programs.

I give suggestions for making your own survival language program in my book, Fast Easy Way to Learn a Language. I am trying to interest my publisher in printing survival language programs based on my method. They are in turn based on the old Lewis Robins Reinforced language learning programs for travellers.

So far as full language programs are concerned, I don't think the Assimil programs can be beaten. They teach the spoken language right from the first lesson. I took the idea of the two levels of learning a language for my book from Assimil.

You are right. It is easy to produce a language course. I have looked at new cheap do-it-yourself programs advertised on the Internet and many contain basic spelling mistakes as well as mistakes in grammar. They don't inspire me.

Synergy Spanish is an exception. It is well produced and has many good points of Pimsleur, but has the advantage of shorter lessons and being much, much cheaper. There were some spelling and grammar mistakes in the web pages but the quality of the program is excellent.

I think that if we are going to produce our own language program there must be a good reason for it. There is some excellent material available. I think it is up to us to come up with a program that corrects problems that we find with the current programs available. The difficulty is, we all seem to have different learning styles and preferences in a learning course. We can't please everyone. That is why I recommend that we each determine our own method of learning our target language.

omicron
United States
Joined 6918 days ago

125 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 4 of 10
06 September 2005 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
fanatic - you've mentioned Reinforced Learning a couple times in the past few months. What is it?

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6889 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 10
06 September 2005 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:

The difficulty is, we all seem to have different learning styles and preferences in a learning course. We can't please everyone. That is why I recommend that we each determine our own method of learning our target language.

I’m in the process of putting together my own language-learning program for French, based on the topics of this site! It is to solve my own language learning needs. I am a good visual learner and a poor auditory learner. I have found the “all-audio” methods impossible to learn, and shadowing too difficult to master. Assimil has been the best starting place for me because of the way it links audio, text, and image in a realistic context. I have found that the Assimil first wave puts the language into my passive memory; the second wave then adds it to my semi-active memory. However, I'm finding that the FSI drills are the best visual key to adding the language to my active memory. The basic idea is to use Assimil and FSI as two blades of a scissor, using Assimil to build sound and image to the point where I can recreate the FSI dialogs and then using the FSI drills to add sound and structure. I’m still working on the details, when I’m finished I’ll most my method on the site. I have borrowed heavily from the ideas of Administrator, Fanatic, Ardaschir, and Jradetzky in creating my own method. Thanks for all the advice!

Thanks Administrator for such a great site!

Edited by Farley on 06 September 2005 at 11:14pm

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6943 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 6 of 10
06 September 2005 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
The reinforced method for learning languages breaks the language learning up into short lessons and then tests you on what you have learnt. If you get the answer right you find out immediately. If you get it wrong you are immediately given the correct answer so the correct answer is reinforced. A perfect score entitles you to progress to the next lesson. In the reinforced Spanish for children program it is all audio and the speaker gives a sentence or phrase in English and you have to say it in Spanish. After a short pause, the speaker gives the correct answer. I think each lesson has 20 sentences or phrases and a perfect score allows you to move to the next level. With the adult programs for travellers the test was written and you had to say the foreign sentence out loud.

Each adult lesson has 20 sentences and there are 18 lessons in the book, teaching a vocabulary of around 1,000 words. Each sentence has a colloquial and a literal translation. This is good as it gives a larger vocabulary and teaches how the sentences are constructed. At the rate of around a lesson a day it takes less than three weeks to complete the course. I took just under two weeks to complete the Italian. They tell you to never complete more than two lessons per day.

The courses were published by Collier and are long out of print. I don't know who owns the copyright. It shouldn't be hard to make a new version of the programs. The sound was recorded on cardboard records with a plastic or vinyl coating. I recorded mine immediately to cassettes so they would last.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7002 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 7 of 10
07 September 2005 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
Farley wrote:
I'm finding that the FSI drills are the
best visual key to adding the language to my active
memory.

I'm a visual learner too. I generally think of the FSI
material as audio. It sounds like you have a novel
approach to using FSI. Can you describe more about how
you turn the FSI drills into a visual exercise?

czech
United States
Joined 6991 days ago

395 posts - 378 votes 
Studies: English*

Message 8 of 10
07 September 2005 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
Even though FSI recommends doing the drills all audio, I review previous lessons with the book several times before listening to them. This reinforces the automaticy, because you are bored of it by the time you play the tape.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version