Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Assimil Icelandic: we got to bring it up!

Tags: Icelandic | Assimil
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
53 messages over 7 pages: 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>
ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6098 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 9 of 53
18 March 2008 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
"Hello,

Thank you very much for your message and your interest in our publications.

We are sorry to inform you that we are not planning any course to learn Icelandic.

Best regards."

Hmm. We're going to need a lot of people sending e-mails over a varied pariod of time if this is going to work. I'd suggest spreading the message to other forums too.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gamma
Octoglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 6725 days ago

82 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, English, GermanC2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Finnish
Studies: Icelandic, Dutch

Message 10 of 53
18 March 2008 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Yes, sure. Spreading this to other forums would be nice. Yesterday I created a topic about this subject on Polyglotclub.com. However, despite its 155,500 members, no one has replied it yet.

Our mate alang has had the brilliant idea of contacting Icelandic communities throughout the globe, letting them know about our project. I think that is what we should do. Getting such entities to support our petition would generate a great impact on Assimil, I believe. Plus, I really can't see many obstacles on our way, since Assimil has already published L'islandais de poche.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7003 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 11 of 53
18 March 2008 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
Fränzi wrote:

Hmm. We're going to need a lot of people sending e-mails over a varied pariod of time if this is going to work. I'd suggest spreading the message to other forums too.

Time and Patience is key. None of us have any idea how many requests have been sent. I would also suggest if Assimil has a number to call it. This is in addition to the emails. It is a great idea on spreading the message. This thread might be seen more in the General forum. We definitely need as much support as we can get.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7003 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 13 of 53
19 March 2008 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
The contact information Assimil has on the website is to the general public. It makes me wonder if the proper people who would take the petition in consideration will be reached.
An example unrelated to languages and Assimil, but a story of customer service.

There was a stretching program on video I wanted. I asked customer service if it would be released on dvd. The answer was no and there were no plans. In three months time the stretching program dvd was out on mass release to the public. A very short time frame of the answer no and the actual release. My guess is customer service did not know about it and just gave the easy answer no, since it was not on dvd.

My point is we don't know the structure of the Assimil company. It also depends on the individuals working if they will send the message along. Hopefully they do.

I am still positive about this even though it may take a while.

Edited by alang on 20 March 2008 at 12:29am

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6460 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 14 of 53
19 March 2008 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
I have done my duty! I completely thought there was an Icelandic book out there and had made plans to buy it :P

AndrewL
United States
Joined 6441 days ago

26 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 15 of 53
19 March 2008 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Well, we should definitely keep mailing them about this. I mean, they have a Latin course, an Ancient Greek course and an Esperanto course, right, so why not have a course for a language that's basically a modern dialect of Old Norse?

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6098 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 16 of 53
20 March 2008 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
I'm sure most people would buy it for the "whoa holy crap Icelandic" factor.

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version