Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 9 of 13
09 February 2008 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
ziedariana wrote:
Volte wrote:

What I'm wondering is the impact of this type of listening (in the background, without knowing what a large percentage of the words mean, and with no transcripts in any language), during the parts of the day when I'm not Listening-Reading, will have on the work-in-progress in my head from Listening-Reading. Would it be neutral, mildly beneficial, or strongly detrimental? Has anyone tried it, or known anyone who has?

It should be beneficial. It's picked up by the unconscious.

Yes - the point is, with Listening-Reading, my brain will already be trying to piece together a whole language from more-or-less natural comprehensible input. Hence, I wonder(ed) if significantly less-comprehensible input during the earliest part of this would impair the process.

1 person has voted this message useful

aru-aru
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 6253 days ago

244 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, Russian

Message 10 of 13
09 February 2008 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
I do a lot of passive listening lately. I use an audiobook in the target language of a novel that i've read in my native language before and remember well. It makes it rather easy for me to follow the story, even though i don't understand most of what is being said. I do it for Spanish (a lot of cognates), and furthest i've gotten with a language course in Spanish is Pimsleur lesson 20. I try to avoid reading anything at all, because i do not want to be influenced by what i think the words should sound, so i just go for lots and lots of audio. But still, with a lot of guessing it is possible to even learn some vocabulary through passive listening of this kind, so i say - go for it! Brain is a powerfull machine, it'll decode the message.

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6824 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 13
09 February 2008 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Spanish is written in a very consistent way. How could reading some Spanish, in conjunction with listening, harm your pronunciation? In my view it would give you a better idea of what the words are that you are listening to, and help you to get used to the new language.

If you are able to read on the computer from time to time you can look up words using a quick online dictionary. You could even block translate the odd paragraph, and soon you would understand a lot more, in my opinion. You would have some hooks to hang your understanding on.

In my experience if I listen and do not understand, it is just noise. I catch the odd word, or think I do, have no idea what the meaning is and eventually stop concentrating. My experience is that to forge new pathways in the brain, the challenge has to be at a level that is neither too easy nor too difficult.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 13
10 February 2008 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi wrote:
Spanish is written in a very consistent way. How could reading some Spanish, in conjunction with listening, harm your pronunciation? In my view it would give you a better idea of what the words are that you are listening to, and help you to get used to the new language.

Until you really internalize that different languages have different sounds corresponding to the same letters, it's easy to mangle what you hear towards what's written.

atamagaii
Anguilla
Joined 6002 days ago

181 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Apache*

Message 13 of 13
10 February 2008 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
Volte's right. Spanish v is not English v, for instance. There is no bilabial /v/ in English, and there is no English /v/ in Spanish.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version