United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6651 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 25 of 52
05 February 2008 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
Don't argue with these people. It's clear that there are certain list members who might be brilliant at learning languages, but need a place to vent their frustrations. Just take what they say that's useful and ignore the rest.

I agree with what atamagaii says about textbooks. I haven't tried learning languages by his method, though, but I would like to try one day. Truly, I think it is probably because I am not smart enough. I like textbooks when they are funny. They keep me interested. Dry, boring textbooks I cannot handle. But I've learned a lot of Spanish, for example, simply by reading. For me, this also entails looking up a lot of words. It takes some effort, but it's a great way to boost one's vocabulary.
1 person has voted this message useful

aru-aru
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 6251 days ago

244 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, Russian

Message 26 of 52
05 February 2008 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
I do not see why all the textbooks should be considered useless. For example, I have this one rather average beginners textbook called Speedup Chinese 速成汉语, that has nice, rather long (for a total beginner) dialogues. The text is given in characters, has pronouncation of every line written atop of it, and english - underneath. Comes with good quality recording, reasonable speed audio. Has vocabulary lists for the texts and a short grammar explanation for difficult parts. Also has a good in-built system of using the vocabulary over and over again in later topics. So whats wrong with it? At which point does it insult my or anyone elses intelligence? It's a lovely graded book for listening-reading like approach. Put the CD on, and follow the lines! You get the pronounciation in front of you (no unabridged chinese novel will have this), and get to start with something simple. Oh well, i guess we can't all like the same things.

tmesis
Mayotte
Joined 6442 days ago

154 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 27 of 52
05 February 2008 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
-

Edited by tmesis on 17 February 2008 at 2:12pm

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6651 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 28 of 52
05 February 2008 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
atamagaii wrote:
I devised an effective and enjoyable way of aquiring languages. You might use it, too, if you're intelligent enough.

What I need is a good phonetic description of a target language + a good reference grammar and computer pop-up dictionary.

Good novels are a language paradise for me.

Say, you wouldn't happen to use the IPA, would you?

You know, I do think you're on to something. I never started learning a language this way, but maybe I should.

tmesis
Mayotte
Joined 6442 days ago

154 posts - 146 votes 

Message 29 of 52
05 February 2008 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
-

Edited by tmesis on 17 February 2008 at 2:12pm

atamagaii
Anguilla
Joined 6000 days ago

181 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Apache*

Message 30 of 52
06 February 2008 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
I'd rather have a dry wit than be dry as dust. It's a matter of time rather than wits. I cannot afford to wait five years to read a novel, I want to do it straight away. I've never been interested in languages, tinkering with them, or playing with an idea of becoming a polyglot, finding it rather futile.

I have nothing against textbooks or anyone in particular, if you're happy with them, be happy. My idea of happiness is simply different. Not better, not worse, my own. I do not expect anyone to be happy my way. I'm not filled with missionary zeal, the only mission I'm aware of is the mission-ary position.

As I said before, I don't mind courses. My favourite being ITNER-COURSE.The best way of achieving fluency in any language. Put your tongue into practice. And your first favourite organ.

Edited by atamagaii on 06 February 2008 at 2:12am

atamagaii
Anguilla
Joined 6000 days ago

181 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Apache*

Message 31 of 52
06 February 2008 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
It would be unfair to say that ALL textbooks are a waste of time. I've seen a few worth reading. Perhaps they are for a happy few, but....

Here are some texts from a textbooks for beginners learning English. They are by Leon Leszek Szkutnik.

Quote:

A YOUNG PSYCHOLOGIST

A young psychologist. Straight from college. People are interesting material for her. I like her figure. And that puzzled look in her eyes. When I try to be an interesting case.

SHOPPING ANIMALS

We live ungrateful from day to day, blind to the miracles around us, fallen out of love with the world – predatory shopping animals.

GEOMETRIC ABSTRACTIONS

Thoughts of death ought to be accepted and made part of life. A black-and-white pattern is elegant and profound. I wonder if you like geometric abstractions.

THIS WORLD

This world is a door left ajar by an absent-minded angel.

GOOD NIGHT

A look, a smile, an invitation. Sunshine, music, joy... A concert, a walk, a question. “Till tomorrow then. Good night”.

THE TEXT

The Earth and the sky and the other requisites are not for ever. But the text is a different matter.

ONE THING IS CERTAIN

I am... I’m not... Am I...? Yes, definitely. I buy, therefore I am. One thing at least is certain.

YOU DON’T AGREE WITH ME

Don’t try to look for answers. Try to find questions. Questions contain answers. I see you don’t agree with me. That does not surprise me.

Here's another example from Lipson and Molinsky - A Russian Course:

stultorum.pochta.ru/aaaa/Lipson i Molinsky - A Russian Course Udarniki.JPG

Edited by atamagaii on 06 February 2008 at 7:58am

tmesis
Mayotte
Joined 6442 days ago

154 posts - 146 votes 

Message 32 of 52
06 February 2008 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
-