Joined 6644 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 25 of 34
12 February 2008 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:

What was the original language, by the way? I'm curious.

I'm a little surprised, that as a fluent speaker of Spanish, you weren't sure that it was Italian. They're such similar languages!

No, I meant, was the original text Italian or English? I'm just curious to know which language was being translated. I'm guessing it was Italian to English. Just because.

Volte wrote:
Literary parallel texts are parallel; they're usually just not word-for-word, or even hyperliteral-but-correct. What language(s) are you planning to try with, out of curiosity?

Russian, which I know fairly well. My copy of Bulgakov's "Heart of a Dog" arrived today. Unfortunately, it's not a parallel text, as I had thought, but all Russian, with tons of notes for English-speaking Russian learners. The CD should arrive any day now.

I'd be curious to try this with a language I know nothing about. It seems like a worthy and rewarding challenge. Definitely not easy.

1 person has voted this message useful

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6644 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 26 of 34
12 February 2008 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
Vance wrote:
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:

It's Italian I think.

So basically, If a sentence in Italian doesn't make any sense inEnglish, but theEnglish translation given by the book (or whatever) is an acceptable translation, but doesn't compare anywhere near to the words in the Italian sentence, that's ok? And I have to just learn them by heart, and individually?

- Vance

Forgive me, I'm slowly reading through all these responses. I'm proably responding too soon.

I am no expert in this, in any way. But something a Russian teacher taught me once was about translation is that it's not the words being translated, but the "meaning" of the groupings of the words. I'm too tired to get more into it. Maybe the other responses explain it better.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6226 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 27 of 34
12 February 2008 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
Volte wrote:
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:

I'm a little surprised, that as a fluent speaker of Spanish, you weren't sure that it was Italian. They're such similar languages!

No, I meant, was the original text Italian or English? I'm just curious to know which language was being translated. I'm guessing it was Italian to English. Just because.

Ah, thank you for clarifying; that makes much more sense. Yes, you're right; it was Italian to English. The translator went a little overboard, and the pieces have fairly different feels; the Italian is much better.

http://ercoleguidi.altervista.org/anthology/ginger.htm is the location of the parallel text.

CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:

Volte wrote:
Literary parallel texts are parallel; they're usually just not word-for-word, or even hyperliteral-but-correct. What language(s) are you planning to try with, out of curiosity?

Russian, which I know fairly well. My copy of Bulgakov's "Heart of a Dog" arrived today. Unfortunately, it's not a parallel text, as I had thought, but all Russian, with tons of notes for English-speaking Russian learners. The CD should arrive any day now.

I'd be curious to try this with a language I know nothing about. It seems like a worthy and rewarding challenge. Definitely not easy.

It's fun, though!

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 34
12 February 2008 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
I have asked myself how big the differences between different editions really are. So I took the first couple of sentences in "The New CLothes of the Emperor" by H.C.Andersen (Danish author) in several English translations:

For mange år siden levede en kejser, som holdt så uhyre meget af smukke nye klæder, at han gav alle sine penge ud for ret at blive pyntet. [the original]
http://www.hca.eu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id= 39&Itemid=63&lang=da

For mange År siden levede en Kejser, som holdt så uhyre meget af smukt nyt tøj, at han brugte alle sine penge på at blive pyntet.   [modified Danish version]
http://www.dansklf.dk/multimedia/kejserensnye.doc

Many years ago there lived an Emperor who was so exceedingly fond of fine new clothes that he spent vast sums of money on dress. To him clothes meant more than anything else in the world.   
http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/Emperors-New-Clothes.htm

Many years ago there was an Emperor so exceedingly fond of new clothes that he spent all his money on being well dressed.   http://www.andersen.sdu.dk/vaerk/h ersholt/TheEmperorsNewClot hes_e.html

MANY years ago there lived an Emperor, who was so excessively fond of grand new clothes that he spent all his money upon them, that he might be very fine.
http://www.bartleby.com/17/3/3.html

Many, many years ago lived an emperor, who thought so much of new clothes that he spent all his money in order to obtain them; his only ambition was to be always well dressed.
http://hca.gilead.org.il/emperor.html

Many years ago there lived an emperor who loved beautiful new clothes so much that he spent all his money on being finely dressed. http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type1620.html#andersen

Now, which of these translations would you want in a bilingual version? My answer would be: the one that is closest to the original at the expense of literary value, and in an interlaced version even closer than any of those above - the best here would be an ultra-literal translation with a note whenever the real meaning of an expression is impossible to guess without aid. But the commercial prospects of selling such editions are probably too gloomy to tempt any commercial enterprise. Instead you get more or less close 'literary' translations that may be better than nothing for an L-R session, but they aren't quite the right thing.

Edited by Iversen on 12 February 2008 at 8:01am

vanityx3
Diglot
United States
Joined 6248 days ago

331 posts - 326 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 29 of 34
12 February 2008 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
I feel that the higher the level in a language your learning is, the less literal the parallel translations need to be.

Fo instance, if I decided to learn Spanish with parallel texts, I would want my English translation to be ultra-literal, since I have very little knowledge of Spanish.

But with my French studies, I started by using literary translations, because I already had a good knowledge of French and French grammar. I was also able to catch where the translations didn't match up exactly and change the translation to make it match.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 34
12 February 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
When I have reached the intermediate level I stop using translations

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6644 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 31 of 34
12 February 2008 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
I've never used a translation before. Perhaps I am wasting my time trying this with Russian.

The only reason why I'm compelled to try it, in any language, is because I trust that the translator has a sense that I do not.

Even with this Italian sentence

perché io da sola con uno scarafaggio vivo non ci dormo, punto e basta.

with a dictionary, I got a clear meaning of that sentence. I wouldn't translate it the same way as the translator, but that's because I don't speak Italian. I would use the closest words I know in English.

But that shows the difference between words and meanings. "Vivo" might translate literally as "alive," (or "bright" or "lively" according to my dictionary) but it doesn't carry the same emotional weight, or revoltion, of a scarafaggio vivo. Because now, when I see scarafaggio vivo, I'm seeing a cockroach bobbing about.

Yuck.

That's the advantage of a good translation. I can see that having even different translations as an advantage, because no two people are going to translate a phrase or sentence the same way.

This sentence also tells me a lot about how Italian uses word order for emphasis. Notice all the words between the subject and the verb. I'd next be really curious to hear the audio of this, especially by a good actor.

Maybe even just a dictionary, the original and good audio would be enough. But a translation can show you just a little bit more.

Anyway, those are my thoughts about this one particular sentence (I also really like "punto e basta"). I feel like I just learned something about Italian that's much more exciting to me than what I might find in a textbook. I feel like I've just started decoding it. That's so much more interesting to me than knowing how to ask where the bathroom is.

zvilleboy
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5942 days ago

4 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 32 of 34
14 February 2008 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Here is some Italian podcasts lessons which feature mini stories that are in parallel text format. They are pretty
entertaining and best suited for beginners...

http://tltc.la.utexas.edu/ra/episode.php?p=01

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version