Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 34
22 January 2008 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
I have been asked about the value of parallel texts in Listening-Reading, as I previously did not see the point, but have recently came to value them.

For relatively difficult texts in languages which are quite unfamiliar, I still don't see the point in parallel texts. Using "The Master and Margarita" for Polish, it was all I could do to map the Polish phrases to the English ones I was reading. Trying to read the Polish was a distraction, and broke my concentration entirely.

For easier texts in languages which are not so unfamiliar, I find parallel texts very useful. I've Listen-Read "The Little Prince" with both English-Spanish and French-Spanish parallel texts. Spanish is very transparent to me, as a speaker of Italian, and I have previously done some reading in it intermittently over the years, but not studied it. What I found was that I could read a sentence or paragraph in English/French, and then follow along with the Spanish as it was spoken. It helped that the narrator tended to pause briefly between sentences, and that I read fairly quickly.

I think that using a parallel text helps structures stick, both in terms of word order and declination/conjugation, for me. I am certain that it helps with spelling.

I do not yet know how the combinations of a difficult text with a transparent or partly known language would work, or an easy text with an opaque one.

2 persons have voted this message useful

atamagaii
Anguilla
Joined 5966 days ago

181 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Apache*

Message 2 of 34
22 January 2008 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Learning is a search for the inexplicable.

L-R does work with different languages and difficult novels.
It's just a little bit... different and ... more difficult.

Quote:
You'll have to go a fast Thinking Walk by yourself.
Brains first and then Hard Work.

Joy is your passage to a greater perfection.

atamagaii aka siomotteikiru
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 3 of 34
22 January 2008 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
atamagaii wrote:

L-R does work with different languages and difficult novels.
It's just a little bit... different and ... more difficult.

I should have been clearer. I wasn't trying to make a statement on how L-R works in those situations, merely on how important it is (for me) to have -parallel- texts in them. If I'm just starting an unfamiliar language with a difficult text, having a parallel text doesn't help much beyond what an English text would, as I don't have enough mental focus to spread between the English text, other text, and audio.

Ichiro
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5969 days ago

111 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, French
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Malay

Message 5 of 34
22 January 2008 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Volte -

It sounds as if for the third stage of listening-reading, although the scheme specifies listening to the target language while reading your own, where possible you are advocating reading chiefly in the target language instead.

Or is it that with texts you know well, or that are simple enough to follow in the target language, you find it easy to skip between the two? Or - given enough time in pauses in the narration - read both?

Also, doesn't your use of parallel texts tie you to your computer for listening-reading learning? That can't be a bunch of fun.

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6173 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 34
22 January 2008 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
DerDrache wrote:
That's essentially what I'm doing with movies. Listening many, many times, and reading the subtitles, scene-by-scene. It's a slow process, but you see...or rather, hear/feel results immediately.

I tried using actual books and such, but I couldn't find many that had accompanying sound. I feel like I'm advertising, but honestly, I think it's more beneficial, practical, and enjoyable to use films and TV shows for this type of thing.

Using the method with books, you have to remember to take it line by line. If you just read a paragraph and then read it in the other language, you'll understand it, but you won't really gain as much as you could from it.

I agree, if you don't read parallel texts line by line, it's harder to grasp the subtleties of the target language. Aligning parallel texts line by line is a hellish task though. That said, I did find one online of the divine comedy in Italian.   

Link

I wish I could find more like that. I've got the audio too!:-)

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 7 of 34
23 January 2008 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
DerDrache wrote:
That's essentially what I'm doing with movies. Listening many, many times, and reading the subtitles, scene-by-scene. It's a slow process, but you see...or rather, hear/feel results immediately.

... I feel like I'm advertising, but honestly, I think it's more beneficial, practical, and enjoyable to use films and TV shows for this type of thing.

I suspect this is a matter of personal taste. I've occasionally watched movies with subtitles for years, and have learned a bit from it. Unfortunately, there are very few movies that I like, and watching for more than a few hours almost always gives me a headache.

I prefer using books for a few reasons. The translations tend to be closer (subtitles in the language a film is spoken in tend to bear little resemblance to what is said in detail; they summarize, change words, etc; ones in other languages are usually equally far). It's "denser": there are a lot more words per unit of time, since there are no long silences, musical interludes, etc. Finally, I just prefer books to movies, usually.

For me, joy is a day spent reading. Torture would be spending more than a handful of days per year watching movies. For you, movies may well be better; it's good to see another perspective on this forum. People vary.

Quote:

I tried using actual books and such, but I couldn't find many that had accompanying sound.

Yes, I consider that the major problem with Listening-Reading.

Quote:

Using the method with books, you have to remember to take it line by line. If you just read a paragraph and then read it in the other language, you'll understand it, but you won't really gain as much as you could from it.

I find this depends as well. If it's a long and dense paragraph, I agree. If it's a relatively short and light one, a paragraph at a time is quite feasible, for me.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 8 of 34
23 January 2008 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
Ichiro wrote:

It sounds as if for the third stage of listening-reading, although the scheme specifies listening to the target language while reading your own, where possible you are advocating reading chiefly in the target language instead.

Then I wasn't clear. I advocate reading primarily in the language you are -not- listening to. Depending on the difficulty of the text, I can also read in the language I am listening to.

To use concrete examples, with subjective estimates, from my actual experience: with "The Master and Margarita" as my introduction to Polish, I could read in Polish less than 1% of the time, after having first read it in English a few days earlier. For "The Little Prince", on my first reading, using a Spanish/English text, I read primarily, but not exclusively, in English. For a second reading, still using L-R, and a Spanish/French text, I think I spent about 60% of the time reading French, and 40% reading Spanish.

I always (except for when I make a brief mistake) read the non-Listening language first, and only then read the language I'm listening to, ideally at _exactly_ the same time as it is being said (after having read the other language first, such as in the gap before a sentence or paragraph).   I'm starting to experiment with also focusing on keeping the meaning in mind as I do so.

Ichiro wrote:

Or is it that with texts you know well, or that are simple enough to follow in the target language, you find it easy to skip between the two? Or - given enough time in pauses in the narration - read both?

Exactly. It helps that I read quickly.

Ichiro wrote:

Also, doesn't your use of parallel texts tie you to your computer for listening-reading learning? That can't be a bunch of fun.

Yes, it does. I personally don't mind; I've read many novels on my monitor. I suppose it would also be possible to print parallel texts. I see no reason to, personally, but I think most people dislike reading on their monitor.

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version