TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6147 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 1 of 5
18 December 2007 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
I thought I had finally found a good japanese radio station, but when I began to listen
to it I realized that I didn't recognize a single sound. Must be the strangest japanese
dialect I thought, as I at least had expected to be familiar with the basic intonation
of the language.

After a while they suddenly switched language to russian. It was a great relief as that
proved that my intuition was right - I had previously been listening to chinese radio!

Unfortunately, the sense of confusion has not left me yet. I became all stressed up by
trying to fit that chinese into my limited knowledge of japanese.

Hope I can kill the feeling with some REAL japanese radio. :D

Edited by Fasulye on 22 February 2016 at 8:27pm

1 person has voted this message useful

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6176 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 2 of 5
18 December 2007 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
Good one! :-)))

This reminds me that when I was making my first steps with Japanese, I had a way of identifying Koreans: if it sounds Japanese but you can't understand a single word, it must be Korean!

Cisa
Super Polyglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6209 days ago

312 posts - 309 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Hungarian*, Slovak, FrenchC1, EnglishC2, Mandarin, SpanishB2, RussianB2, GermanB2, Korean, Czech, Latin
Studies: Italian, Cantonese, Japanese, Portuguese, Polish, Hindi, Mongolian, Tibetan, Kazakh, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 5
18 December 2007 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
:) :) :)

You should not be intimidated. In TV or radio I usually recognise these languages, but when I hear them spoken, not always....

This happens, don´t worry, good luck to your Japanese!!!!! ;)

kewms
United States
Joined 5977 days ago

160 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 4 of 5
18 December 2007 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
For me, the key is the verb endings. In Japanese, the verb always comes at the end, and verb endings are very regular. So when you hear sentence after sentence ending in -います、you know it's Japanese.

FYI, I've tagged a bunch of links to Japanese radio stations in my del.icio.us collection: http://del.icio.us/kewms/japanese

Katherine

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4925 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 5 of 5
14 February 2016 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
M. Medialis wrote:
I thought I had finally found a good japanese radio station, but when I began to listen to it I realized that I didn't recognize a single sound. Must be the strangest japanese dialect I thought, as I at least had expected to be familiar with the basic intonation of the language.

After a while they suddenly switched language to russian. It was a great relief as that proved that my intuition was right - I had previously been listening to chinese radio!

Wait... Doesn't Chinese have many words and syllables with l and ng? How could you not recognize that it definitely wasn't Japanese?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version