Triglot
France
Joined 5556 days ago

288 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Ancient Greek, Tibetan

Message 9 of 41
27 April 2009 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
Sichuanese is just a Mandarin dialect, so you are expected to pick it up. (Well, if you are in Sichuan you can buy foreign films dubbed into Sichuanese, but elsewhere dunno how)

For Shanghainese, some introductory courses exist in various remote corners of the internet, then you can read small dictionaries and watch 孽债 etc., but that's not optimal. Well. :(
1 person has voted this message useful

minus273
Triglot
France
Joined 5556 days ago

288 posts - 346 votes 

Message 10 of 41
27 April 2009 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
kimchicurry wrote:
Linguistically, both Teochew and Hakka share similarities with Cantonese and Min, and together they are categorized as "southern forms of Chinese." If you decide to study both, you will find many cognates between Teochew and Hakka in both vocabulary and syntax which are not present in standard Mandarin (a "northern" form of Chinese).

To me, Hakka resembles more dear little Mandarin than southern dialects. (main vowels, etc.) And the Moiyen tones sound suspiciously close to SW Mandarin.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5557 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 41
27 April 2009 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
Asiafeverr wrote:
The Hong Kong central library has a language center with learning materials for over
40 Chinese dialects. You might find similar materials in Taiwanese or Mainland Chinese
libraries or bookstores. Most of these books were written more than a decade ago and
have tapes instead of CDs but I guess you could still track them down with some
research.

(I found myself dreaming about that library last night. One day.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6164 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 12 of 41
27 April 2009 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
Foreign films are dubbed into Sichuan! Surely not. I find that rather hard to believe. If it's true it's rather amazing. Does that mean that there is not local programming in Sichuan but they dub foreign films into Sichuan? Why not just dub foreign films into Mandarin and be done with it?

The most difficult thing about learning dialects is that even when you find books on the dialects... in Chinese... they're pretty useless because it's pretty hard to represent the sounds of the dialects in 汉字.

Anyway, I'm just being a devil's advocate. I thought the only programming in 'dialect' was Cantonese - because of Hong Kong. And some songs etc. from Taiwan... maybe.

I'd be happy to hear otherwise, but I know one sure way to make someone from China angry - tell them that Cantonese (or any other 'dialect' of Chinese probably) is not a dialect, but a language. They will go off their head.

minus273
Triglot
France
Joined 5556 days ago

288 posts - 346 votes 

Message 13 of 41
27 April 2009 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Budz wrote:
Foreign films are dubbed into Sichuan! Surely not. I find that rather hard to believe. If it's true it's rather amazing. Does that mean that there is not local programming in Sichuan but they dub foreign films into Sichuan? Why not just dub foreign films into Mandarin and be done with it?

To add local flavour to it, which means that the translations are more often than not humourous and deliberately misleading.

Budz wrote:
I'd be happy to hear otherwise, but I know one sure way to make someone from China angry - tell them that Cantonese (or any other 'dialect' of Chinese probably) is not a dialect, but a language. They will go off their head.

Yeah. But the fact is insignificant. (Most nations-without-a-centralized-state have mutually unintelligible dialects, anyway. And for West Germanic, linguistic division and national division just don't coincide.)

Edited by minus273 on 27 April 2009 at 3:51pm

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6085 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 15 of 41
05 May 2009 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
Budz wrote:

The most difficult thing about learning dialects is that even when you find books on the dialects... in Chinese...
they're pretty useless because it's pretty hard to represent the sounds of the dialects in 汉字.

How so?

I would say the difficulties of learning the "dialects" include a lack of study materials and the fact that many of the
big ones are more difficult than Mandarin. More tones, tone sandhi, a bewildering array of sub-dialects, etc.

minus273
Triglot
France
Joined 5556 days ago

288 posts - 346 votes 

Message 16 of 41
06 May 2009 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
jimbo wrote:
Budz wrote:

The most difficult thing about learning dialects is that even when you find books on the dialects... in Chinese...
they're pretty useless because it's pretty hard to represent the sounds of the dialects in 汉字.

How so?

I would say the difficulties of learning the "dialects" include a lack of study materials and the fact that many of the
big ones are more difficult than Mandarin. More tones, tone sandhi, a bewildering array of sub-dialects, etc.

Yeah, in Suzhou, word tone is irregular and should be memorized per word. Taiwanese is much easier.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version