Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6416 days ago

103 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 49 of 194
07 November 2007 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
Posts like this sometimes make some students of Esperanto sound more like members of a cult than language students.
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6723 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 50 of 194
07 November 2007 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
remush wrote:
virgule wrote:
Remush, it won't happen.
I am not able to read crystal balls.

remush,

I thought when you said, "and when it starts selling, believe me, you'll adjust your engine", you were making a prediction. What did you otherwise mean by that?

Edited by frenkeld on 07 November 2007 at 10:46am

remush
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
remush.beRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6048 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: French*, Esperanto, English, Dutch
Studies: German, Polish

Message 51 of 194
07 November 2007 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
When?

frenkeld wrote:
remush wrote:
virgule wrote:
Remush, it won't happen.

remush,

I thought when you said, "and when it starts selling, believe me, you'll adjust your engine", you were making a prediction. What did you otherwise mean by that?

Karakorum
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 6349 days ago

201 posts - 232 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)*
Studies: French, German

Message 52 of 194
07 November 2007 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Wow man, is it possible for an Esperanto thread to be less than 5 pages long?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6219 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 53 of 194
07 November 2007 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
remush wrote:
When?

frenkeld wrote:
remush wrote:
virgule wrote:
Remush, it won't happen.

remush,

4th post on the previous page of this thread, posted yesterday.

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6193 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 54 of 194
07 November 2007 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
remush wrote:
Indeed, there is no critical mass yet in favour of Esperanto. It's true that English is about to have the same acceptance as French had not so long ago, before it was dethroned.

I don't follow. French never attained the acceptance english has throughout the world today. Not even close...

Edited by lloydkirk on 07 November 2007 at 2:58pm

Art
Russian Federation
Joined 6314 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Russian*

Message 55 of 194
07 November 2007 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
The Decline and Fall of Esperanto:

... A proposed standard, no matter how simple, logical, and well designed, may have difficulty displacing an imperfect but functional "real life" system. ...

... Recognition of communication chaos, the proposal of neutral standards and their attempted dissemination, failure of the standards to achieve universal approval, and reluctant acceptance of flawed but workable substitutes -- these are common themes for both Esperanto and informatics. The bottom line seems to be that a proposed standard, no matter how logical and well intentioned, will not flourish if it overlooks the practical issues inherent in "real life" systems. As one informatics guru remarked, "You can design all the standards you want, but in the end you have to do it Microsoft's way." This statement represents both a degree of hyperbole and a dose of reality. ...

Does The World Need Esperanto?:

... The other much vaunted advantage of Esperanto over English is, as I mentioned, that it's neutral. ... This is not quite the case, of course. It is in reality, an Indo-European language, reflecting in a stripped-down, regularised way, how a Russian speaking Jew from Bialystok in Tsarist Poland saw the world; it bears no relation to how a Hopi Indian sees the world or a native Bantu, Arabic or Korean speaker. It is the very model of the highly determined Indo-European way of seeing: The world is gendered, there are subjects and objects, the feminine flows from the masculine, actions must be defined as past, present or future. There are inflexions for number and tense, the vocabulary is Latin or Germanic for the most part, with all the baggage those words bring with them. So to speak Esperanto is to look at the world through European eyes. ...

---

If somebody is still delusional about Esperanto, do a search in The New York Times for articles in 1905-1908 about Esperanto. You'll be amazed, that nothing has changes about Esperanto and this language is nothing, but the tool of an utopian dream about cosmopolitism with some traits of communism.

"Real life" is "real life" and we should deal with real.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6052 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 56 of 194
07 November 2007 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
(Excerpt from a post elsewhere)
============================================
I knew a member of a small English Communist grouping who was an Esperanto enthusiast. He knew no foreign languages. I had the impression he would have been at home in the overly rational environment of Huxley's Brave New World. I think real, living languages were too messy for him.

This discussion contains 194 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version