United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6646 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 9 of 10
16 October 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
I use SuperMemo and WordReference.com. I don't just learn new words but every possible expression connected to that word.

And then I set the Leech function to weed out even the semi-leeches ("leeches" are flashcards you just aren't memorizing) to later in the queue. This is because I don't particularly enjoy reviewing 600 words a day. If I'm not getting it, I'd rather postpone it. And when it comes back some fifty days later, for some reason it's easier to memorize.

Quite the amazing piece of software if you ask me, which I know you didn't. I'm really lousy at memorizing things and so I am quite taken with it. I highly recommend it as a birthday present! :)

Edited by CaitO'Ceallaigh on 16 October 2007 at 4:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4924 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 10 of 10
14 February 2016 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
I like your method. I also have my own method of using paper flashcards. It worked well for me:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Finally my Arabic-Japanese flashcards which I made 1 Kanji per day has reached a Yu-Gi-Oh! full deck (40 cards). It consists the first half of grade 1 Kanji plus their Arabic meaning. I tried to play it with my brother. There were three sessions I did with it:

1. My brother who can read Kanji shuffles the deck then draw it one by one from the top while reading the Kanji out loud and I guess their meaning in our native language (Javanese/Indonesian).
I could guess all their meanings except 小, which I knew as "chi" but he read as "ko"/"shou".

2. Same as the first, but this time I guess the Arabic meaning.
Got them all right but I couldn't do it spontaneously. I need to translate them to Javanese/Indonesian first in my mind then retranslate it to Arabic, except for 中 (في), because prepositions are much easier to translate instantly.

3. My brother shuffles the deck then draw it one by one from the top, read the Arabic word, then I try to write the Kanji.
Stroke order aside, the only Kanji I got wrong was 足. The "lambda" (λ) at the bottom left I wrote was mirrorred.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version