Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6068 days ago

64 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 9 of 20
19 September 2007 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Good for you, Syg. Ganbette... I'm also studying Japanese but being able to read kanji, I hope you don't mind me sharing some interesting, at least to me, Japanese interpretation of kanji.
For example suki desu... like, kanji means good. So if I like something, that's good. LOL.
Boku ra.. Male pronoun informal I... kanji means servant. I, humble servant.
The kanji for nurse wu shi... is actually Japanese's lawyer bengoshi.. one who protects. In this case, I agreed with Japanese's translation of those characters. Shi seems so masculine.
Days of the week: yoobi getsu, ka, sui, moku, kin, do and nichi as : moon, fire, water, wood, gold, earth, sun, respectively, seems a lot of fun doesn't it? Also in Spanish Monday is Lunes and Sunday is Domingo. Fun stuff to tag on languages.
Please share with me your journey in studying Japanese. How are you remembering sentence structure and patterns, any tips?
1 person has voted this message useful

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6132 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 10 of 20
20 September 2007 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
mytamk wrote:
How are you remembering sentence structure and patterns, any tips?

http://mnemosyne-proj.sourceforge.net/

Use this software and try to learn many correct sentences, NOT the grammar rules. While you keep seeing different sentences, you will develop a natural "feeling" for the patterns and will be able to make some on your own.

Example, you put "The cat is in the three", "The dog is in the house", and then if you want to say "The cat is in the house" you will have no problem because you will see the logic. If you try it with a big number of sentences that contain different grammatical points in them you will know the structures of sentences.

Hope this helped. PM me if you need more details.

Syg
Diglot
United States
Joined 6094 days ago

21 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 11 of 20
27 September 2007 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for sharing the interpretations, mytamk. They are pretty interesting. Asiafeverr explained the method pretty well. That's basically what I'm planning to do.

I'm currently up to 720 kanji. I'll be doing a few more later tonight before I go to bed. I'm a little behind because I took some time out to review instead of learning new kanji since I found myself forgetting so many of them. I'm no longer so bored in school during my free time since I'm reviewing kanji at the library.

I recently bought some mangas. I can't read them yet so right now they're just for inspiration. Hopefully I'll be using them in a couple of months.

I think I have to find some new Japanese music since I'm probably going to get bored with the ones I'm currently listening to. The problem is I usually can't find anything I would actually listen to over and over and most of the time when I search I always find anime music, which is fine but I don't really like most of them. I guess I'll have to search harder.

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6132 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 12 of 20
28 September 2007 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
http://music.yahoo.co.jp/

Syg
Diglot
United States
Joined 6094 days ago

21 posts - 21 votes

Message 13 of 20
09 October 2007 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link Asiafeverr.

I finally reached 1000 kanji (1026 to be exact), so I'm halfway there! I'm going to take some time out to review so I won't be adding too many new kanji for the next few days.

Syg
Diglot
United States
Joined 6094 days ago

21 posts - 21 votes

Message 14 of 20
26 October 2007 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
I'm up to 1260 kanji right now. I went to a bookstore last week to get some more books and mangas. I think I'll be finshed with RTK by December, but I'm aiming for the end of November. I've been watching a lot of Japanese dramas/movies lately. Now I'm watching Mop Girl as the episodes available. I'm also playing the Japanese versions of Final Fantasy VI (I love that game) and Pokemon FireRed.

Edited by Syg on 26 October 2007 at 6:37pm

ryuukohito
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
Malaysia
Joined 6026 days ago

89 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Malay*
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 15 of 20
15 November 2007 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
I noticed that we share similar aspirations of becoming fluent in Japanese, so let's work hard, Syg!

P/S: I myself finished Reviewing the Kanji some months ago, and so I am inclined to admit that all of the hours I spent reading and reviewing it, though tiring and exhausting they were, have been all of and nothing short of an excellent investment! RTK will reward you handsomely in Japanese fluency in the long run; and so I bid that you try your best to complete it.

Syg
Diglot
United States
Joined 6094 days ago

21 posts - 21 votes

Message 16 of 20
24 November 2007 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Ah, I haven't been updating lately, but I didn't give up. I'm trying to finish up RTK. I have about 400 left to go.

Thank you for the encouragement, ryuukohito! It's great to hear from someone who finished the book. It really is tiring sometimes, but I do think it will be rewarding and it will definitely help with my Japanese. One of my classmates has been wanting to learn Japanese, but she has been avoiding kanji the entire time and has made almost no progress at all. So that motivates me to finish the book as well because I want to be literate.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version