8 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, Sanskrit, Ancient Greek, German

Message 25 of 32
19 December 2010 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
FSI wrote:
daristani wrote:
the Law of Strawberry Jam applies to language study: the
wider you spread it, the thinner it gets.

Agreed!

No problem. You have just to put more strawberry jam!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4751 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 32
16 August 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
I just came across this article again, while cleaning up my bookmark list.
The article includes Heine's language list: Student, 22, kann 35 Sprachen
Does anyone know if he ever appeared on YT or FB or any other platform?
It would be interesting to learn about his methods...
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 32
17 August 2012 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
I did a couple of Google searches (in English and German) in the hope of finding new information about him, but didn't find anything that referred to his current whereabouts - the comments were fairly repetitive, and everything I found referred to the information that appeared about him in 2008. Maybe he has just decided to stay out of the limelight, but this also means that it has little purpose to speculate about his methods or his level in those 35 languages.

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5021 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 28 of 32
24 November 2013 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
2012 Interview with Sebastian Heine, in German, including a list of the languages he has been studying so far.

65 Sprachen mit 27 Jahren

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4004 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 29 of 32
24 November 2013 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
I should point out, before I say anything else, that I'm pretty sure he speaks more
languages than I. Good for him, that being said:

I'm always surprised when Philologists add old languages to their list of spoken
languages, I've always had the impression that it's just not...done, even for languages
I'm very fluent in like Sanskrit, Latin, Greek and so on.

As someone with a firm philological background, I'm automatically wary of the languages
many of my colleagues might claim. Knowing a language enough to pass an exam or work
with it doesn't equal knowing it. I've read extensively in Hittite, I don't *know* it.
In particular I'm very very sceptical of claims made from those from German
universities. I've known several such philologists and....well the reality never
matches the claim to the point where it's a bit of a joke now in Indo-European studies.

Going over the list at the end of an interview, it really seems very silly. I can spot
Old Persian on that list, really! there's not enough on it to even say one *knows* it.
I should know, I've worked with quite a few experts and know all the easily available
material. We don't even have enough to fully reconstruct morphology...and a standing
lexicon of...400 or so words?

That being said I'm not saying he's not impressive, anyone who can handle Caucasian and
Dravidian language must be. Just...be reasonable. I've only flicked through the
interview so all this stuff might be explained and put reasonably. Regardless, I find
the list odd.

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5021 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 30 of 32
24 November 2013 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
I just saw that he has a profile at the University of Bonn. You can find a more detailed list of his languages and the level to which he knows each of them there under the flag "Language Abilities".

Profile of Dr. Sebastian Kurt Heine

The profile has also other information on his research activities, field work, etc.

It looks a bit weird that some of the profiles in this department, including Heine's, are in English only, given that this is a German university, the heading is "Islamwissenschaft", and Heine is himself German. Whereas some other profils, including staff of obvious Persian origin are in German on the other hand.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4281 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 31 of 32
24 November 2013 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Lykeio wrote:

Going over the list at the end of an interview, it really seems very silly. I can spot
Old Persian on that list, really! there's not enough on it to even say one *knows* it.
I should know, I've worked with quite a few experts and know all the easily available
material. We don't even have enough to fully reconstruct morphology...and a standing
lexicon of...400 or so words?

It's not uncommon to generalize and say 'ich kann ...' or 'ich kenne ...' a particular
language in German when we actually mean 'I'm familiar with ...'. It's just a way to
indicate that you have some knowledge in that language, not that you are completely
fluent. You could view it as an idiomatic expression. There usually is no need to go
into details, because the majority of people we speak to are no language enthusiasts
and couldn't care less about *how* well you know the language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 32
25 November 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
I have looked at the language list at the homepage of the university of Boon, and it specifies neatly that some languages are fluent, while others (some 22) are "read only", and a number of old and presumably insufficiently attested languages are summarily listed as languages which he only has "studied". Quite honestly, I think this list is about as detailed as you could expect - especially if he has active skills in all the languages which aren't marked as read only.

Edited by Iversen on 25 November 2013 at 2:48pm

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version