Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6229 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 185 of 245
08 June 2010 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
For Bulgarian, an excellent, growing site: www.avtori.com. Finally I am able to learn Bulgarian :D

Romanian: http://www.cartiaudio.eu/

Enjoy! :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

iamrobertyee
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
Philippines
Joined 5076 days ago

48 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: Tagalog*, Cebuano*, EnglishC2
Studies: Mandarin

Message 186 of 245
09 June 2010 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Wow this is great! I get to choose which website would be useful for me.. Thank you, this is indeed a brilliant idea..
1 person has voted this message useful

onebir
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6945 days ago

484 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 187 of 245
05 July 2010 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
I just discovered that Librivox now has several fairly chunky novels in Hebrew:

Yosef Haim Brenner's "In Winter" (3h19m),"From Here and There" (8h1m) "Out of a Gloomy Valley" (6 short stories - 3h43m)

Mendele Mocher Seforim (aka Shalom Jacob Abramovitsch) "Wanderings of Benjamin III" (3h43m), "Fishke the Lame (The Book of Beggars)" (7h57m) & "The wishing ring" (incomplete, currently incomplete, ~12h 14 mins in 47/62 chapters.)

All link to e-texts on Ben-Yehuda.org, so you can paste tricky chunks into google translate.

These are all late-19th/early-20th century works & I think some may be translations from Yiddish. So I guess the Hebrew may be a bit dated. Also they all seem to be recorded by a one person. I hope he has a nice voice. (Having trouble downloading from Librivox at the moment)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6221 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 188 of 245
05 July 2010 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
onebir wrote:
I just discovered that Librivox now has several fairly chunky novels in Hebrew:

Yosef Haim Brenner's "In Winter" (3h19m),"From Here and There" (8h1m) "Out of a Gloomy Valley" (6 short stories - 3h43m)

Mendele Mocher Seforim (aka Shalom Jacob Abramovitsch) "Wanderings of Benjamin III" (3h43m), "Fishke the Lame (The Book of Beggars)" (7h57m) & "The wishing ring" (incomplete, currently incomplete, ~12h 14 mins in 47/62 chapters.)

All link to e-texts on Ben-Yehuda.org, so you can paste tricky chunks into google translate.

These are all late-19th/early-20th century works & I think some may be translations from Yiddish. So I guess the Hebrew may be a bit dated. Also they all seem to be recorded by a one person. I hope he has a nice voice. (Having trouble downloading from Librivox at the moment)

Excellent, thank you very much.

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5179 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 189 of 245
10 July 2010 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
I don't know if this is on here or not (I didn't feel like sifting through 24 pages worth of information) but I just discovered a site recently which offers the Bible in about 10 or so translations. All are common languages, but the site offers the entire Bible in parallel text plus audio mp3's. The site is www.wordproject.org

I would love to see the site expand its languages, but you work with what you have.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6221 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 190 of 245
10 July 2010 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
JPike1028 wrote:
I don't know if this is on here or not (I didn't feel like sifting through 24 pages worth of information) but I just discovered a site recently which offers the Bible in about 10 or so translations. All are common languages, but the site offers the entire Bible in parallel text plus audio mp3's. The site is www.wordproject.org

I would love to see the site expand its languages, but you work with what you have.

Thank you; it's mentioned. A couple of tips:

a) Search the first post; I try to consolidate everything there.

b) Failing that, hit the 'printable' button; you can then search the whole thread in your browser.

c) If you like wordproject, you may really like Faith comes by hearing. They have hundreds of languages, and are aiming for thousands.

aru-aru
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 6239 days ago

244 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, Russian

Message 191 of 245
10 July 2010 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
There seems to be very little available for Hindi, so i'll share some stuff i've managed to find. This isn't a new resource as such, the audio comes from archive.org which has been mentioned here before. What I've done is I've matched three of the audio stories with the Hindi text and English translation.

January night:
audio
text
english
glossary
glossary (hindi and urdu)

Thakur's well:
audio
text
english

Festival of Eid:
audio
text
english
glossary

The salt inspector:
audio
text (hindi)
text (urdu)
english
glossary

Archive.org has in total around 45 stories by Premchand here. Matching text can be found both here and here. That would cover 35 stories. Some search should find the rest of them quickly as well, for the author seems to be well known enough. If anyone has the translations, let me know. There is also a book Desh birana, with it's audio here and it's text on esnips.com here. The "community audio" section of archive.org has some more hindi/urdu stories.

One more resource is Virtual Hindi. Last three stories are long enough for a serious student.

Toba Tek Singh - Sa'adat Hasan Manto
Hindi Urdu story Toba Tek Singh written by Sa'adat Hasan Manto and read by Anurag Sharma
audio
text and a few translations

Edited by aru-aru on 11 July 2010 at 3:19am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6221 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 192 of 245
31 August 2010 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much. I will add this to the first page if and when I can.

EDIT: Quote removed for clarity.

Edited by patuco on 01 September 2010 at 3:05pm

This discussion contains 245 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version