jean-luc
France
Joined 4720 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 25 of 43
20 October 2011 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
The same way you become native in a language other than the one(s) officially spoken in your country ?
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 26 of 43
20 October 2011 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
lindseylbb wrote:
How can it become a native language is beyond me. without people murmuring around when you are an infant, without atmosphere,without a cultural background of its own?

There is a difference between artificial languages and natural languages. As people learn Esperanto as a native language (from childhood), linguists want to see how the language will change to become a natural language, and in doing so, they hope to develop a more accurate model of how languages evolve, or what kind of universal rules apply to languages.

Although I haven't yet read the entire article, it seemed to imply that L2 speakers of Esperanto had already made the language natural because L1 speakers didn't change the language in a significant way. That is extremely interesting -- when I studied Linguistics, it was generally accepted that a language was not a natural language until it had L1 speakers, but now it seems that a critical mass of L2 speakers would have the same effect.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 27 of 43
20 October 2011 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
lindseylbb wrote:
How can it become a native language is beyond me. without people murmuring around when you are an infant, without atmosphere,without a cultural background of its own?

It's exactly through people murmuring it around you as an infant that you become a native speaker. Thousands of people have spoken Esperanto natively, because at least one of their parents speaks to them primarily or exclusively in Esperanto through their infancy and early childhood. There are also gatherings of children who speak Esperanto; last weekend, I was with several Esperanto-speaking families, and watched about a dozen children play together - in Esperanto. Some of the families had 3 generations of Esperanto speakers present.

Esperanto also has a very distinctive atmosphere, culture, and history.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 43
31 October 2011 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
I have only had one major experience with spoken Esperanto, namely the Universal Congress in Copenhagen in July this year. And I listened to many excellent speakers without knowing whether they were native Esperantists or just very accomplished later learners. However with those few that were expressly mentioned as native speakers I noticed that they often were slightly harder to understand because they spoke less distinctly and less 'bookish' - which however also was the case with some participants who weren't pointed out as native speakers. Maybe the best speakers - native or not - just are so familiar with the language that they forget that we aren't all at their level - which also can be the case with native speakers of other languages.

That being said I found it surprisingly easy to get into the habit of understanding Esperantean speech, even though I only spent four days at the congress.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Colin R.
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4511 days ago

6 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto

Message 29 of 43
23 November 2011 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
The fine-grained tense distinctions definitely seem to be more common in writing. They are
used in speech, but they're fairly strongly marked when using a simpler form does not lose crucial information.
It's not surprising that short interviews might invoke rather few instances.

A good point.

When Bergen contrasts verb use in Standard Esperanto and Native Esperanto, he doesn't address the question of
how common compound tenses (with esti and a participle) actually are in Standard Esperanto.

Did he assume they are frequent, simply because the grammatical rules permit them?

Even in written Esperanto, my impression is that compound tenses are distinctly less common than in English.

The word "jam" (already) is a simple and very frequent way of expressing completed action without using a
compound tense. And this usage goes back to Zamenhof himself. An example from his writing, cited in the Reta
Vortaro entry for "jam" is

"Ĉu vi jam trovis vian horloĝon?"

Literally

"Is it the case that you already found your watch?"

Edited by Colin R. on 23 November 2011 at 12:49am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 43
23 November 2011 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
The most common compound tenses would have been a compound past tense and maybe a plusquamperfectum if Zamenhof hadn't disallowed them (NOT *mi havas/havis farita). The combinations with the auxiliary verb esti plus a a passive participle have a passive meaning, and it is apparently too complicated for the speakers to use combinations with esti and the active participle to reestablish an active meaning except as a parallel to the English continuous verbal forms. So the simple past tense has to bear the whole burden of references to past actions and states. But this is OK - one of the signs that you are getting accostumed to Esperanto is that you stop lamenting about the lack of diversity in the past tense forms. .

Edited by Iversen on 23 November 2011 at 1:35am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5607 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 43
23 November 2011 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
The combinations with the auxiliary verb esti plus a a passive participle have a passive meaning, and it is apparently too complicated for the speakers to use combinations with esti and the active participle to reestablish an active meaning except as a parallel to the English continuous verbal forms. So the simple past tense has to bear the whole burden of references to past actions and states. But this is OK - one of the signs that you are getting accostumed to Esperanto is that you stop lamenting about the lack of diversity in the past tense forms.

You have to differentiate between:

1. Mi estis leginta libron pri astronomio. (active form)

2. La libro pri astronomio estis legita. (passive form)

In spoken Esperanto you hear for 95 %: Mi legis libron pri astronomio. Yes, it's true that Esperanto tends to avoid compound tenses.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 23 November 2011 at 7:41am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 43
23 November 2011 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
I actually did differentiate between the two - even to the extent that I didn't write about the 'past' participle and the 'present' participle as you mostly do in the Romance and Germanic languages, but about the 'passive' and the 'active' participle. The reason is of course that both participles have forms for the past, the present and the future.

If you are in the philosophical mood you can actually wonder why the compound perfect and pluperfect have become to popular in the Romance and Germanic language because they must be the result of a quantum jump in the interpretation of an already fairly complicated construction. It is clear that "I am coming" means "I am in-the-state-of-walking", and Esperanto extends this to the past and future (mi estis veninta/estas venanta/estos venonta .. and occasionally other combinations to the chagrin of purists). But the precursor of "I have come" must originally have had the meaning "I have something-that-has-come" ... myself, of course. It is clearer with a transitive verb: "I have watched TV" -> "I have TV in-the-state-of-having-been-watched", with "watched" as some kind of object predicative. Which almost is the same as saying that somebody watched TV sometime in the past, and from that point onwards 'have' + the past/passive participle could start eroding the territory of the simple past.

Well, Zamenhof built a system based on 'esti' plus one of the two participles, but deliberately excluded the use of 'havi' as an auxiliary verb. Esti + active participle (-nta) could without further ado assume the usual role, which in English has become a mainstay of the verbal system (the 'continuous' tenses), and 'esti' + passive participle (-ta) could equally easily become a passive construction. But there was no perfect or pluperfect in the system to compete with the simple past tense on -is.

And native esperantists and advanced esperantists won't have any problem with that. It is just one of those quirks that can make beginners stumble.

Edited by Iversen on 23 November 2011 at 10:09am

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version