Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
43 messages over 6 pages: 13 4 5 6  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 9 of 43
09 July 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
Of those people who know a constructed language, 99% know Esperanto. The remaining 1% (and maybe a few % for those who know Esperanto and one of the others) are shared by Klingon, Tolkien's languages, Interlingua, Ido, Volapük, Lojban, Toki Pona and so on.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cage
Diglot
aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6411 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 10 of 43
09 July 2007 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
LilleOSC, yes perhaps..but don't Esperonto speakers get offended when the legitimacy of Esperanto is questioned because it has so few speakers compared to big natural ones such as Mandarin, English, Spanish which evolved naturally? Your comments could be deemed offensive to Klingon speakers. Their language may have far fewer speakers than Esperanto but it is still a constructed language like Esperanto, if on a smaller scale.
1 person has voted this message useful

reltuk
Groupie
United States
Joined 6603 days ago

75 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 11 of 43
09 July 2007 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
Cage wrote:
LilleOSC, yes perhaps..but don't Esperonto speakers get offended when the legitimacy of Esperanto is questioned because it has so few speakers compared to big natural ones such as Mandarin, English, Spanish which evolved naturally? Your comments could be deemed offensive to Klingon speakers. Their language may have far fewer speakers than Esperanto but it is still a constructed language like Esperanto, if on a smaller scale.

I don't think Esperanto speakers get upset because their language has few speakers; I think Esperanto speakers get "offended" when people talk about Esperanto as if they understand it, but their impressions are misconstrued or intentionally falsified. In reality, most of the time Esperanto speakers are simply voicing the correction, and are not really offended; sometimes they are agitated, to varying degrees, because they perceive the obvious falsehoods to be the result of willful ignorance or even malintent. I'm more inclined to think that the amount of misinformation regarding Esperanto is high enough that people whose understanding really is wrong are generally wrong through little to no fault of their own.

I will say that I don't know any Klingon speakers. My instinct says that most Klingon speakers (of which there are a couple dozen) recognize that Klingon and Esperanto are two very different languages and serve very different purposes. Klingon was designed by a linguist specifically to be very hard to learn, it was designed in the context of a fantasy world and for the purposes of entertainment. The intent in designing it was not to create a general purpose language that would be used for huamn communication. Saying such things should not be considered offensive because they are the truth.

-- reltuk

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 43
22 April 2010 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
In principle the beginnings of Esperanto are as artificial as those of Quenya and Klingon (or that new thing from the film Avatar) - one language was made by an idealist who wanted to save humanity, the other by film people who wanted to give at least one of their inane inventions a touch of realism (contrary to those who assume that all green bugeyed aliens speak fluent English).

The big difference is that Esperanto right now have millions of L2 learners (some quite proficient) plus a small number of native speakers - because some children of some of the more hardcore Esperantists have learnt it as one of their native languages. In principle Klingon could have as much success (measured in fluent speakers), and then then it wouldn't matter where it came from. If a language-like thing is so 'rich' (linguistically and culturally) that you can express yourself in it is well as in any natural language, then that thing is a language. Or in other words: if it smells like a language and feels like a language and behaves like a language then it is a language.

In the article mentioned by Jeff Lindquist there is an important observation at page 50:

"Bergen discusses five differences between what he calls Standard
Esperanto and Native Esperanto. In the latter he has observed “the attrition
of the tense/aspect system and of the accusative, the fixing of SVO word
order, the irregularity of lexical stress, and the tendency for phonological
reduction, especially of pronouns and certain verbal morphology” (p. 594).
His results are based on a survey of the speech of eight children, aged 6 to
14 years, at a meeting of Esperanto-speaking children in 1998"

If you want to see Esperanto as a true living language then this is the best thing since sliced bread. Irreverent use of the language and less reverence for Zamenhoff, that's exactly what you should wish for Esperanto as a fullgrown language.

PS: and I should of course have written this in irreverent Esperanto ... OK, next time

Edited by Iversen on 22 April 2010 at 2:58pm

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5372 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 13 of 43
22 April 2010 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Of those people who know a constructed language, 99% know Esperanto. The remaining 1% (and maybe a few % for those who know Esperanto and one of the others) are shared by Klingon, Tolkien's languages, Interlingua, Ido, Volapük, Lojban, Toki Pona and so on.

Very true.

Last time I checked I think there are around 50 speakers of Klingon.

That's smaller than a classroom in some cases. Either way I think it's cool :)

hvorki_ne
Groupie
Joined 5173 days ago

72 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic

Message 14 of 43
22 April 2010 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:

Very true.

Last time I checked I think there are around 50 speakers of Klingon.

That's smaller than a classroom in some cases. Either way I think it's cool :)

I don't know how dated it is or how fluent they had to be to count- but there was a study of klingon speakers. http://home.swipnet.se/~w-12689/survey.htm About 600 total in that study.

http://www.crwflags.com/FOTW/FLAGS/qy_plan.html estimates 1,000 speak klingon & Quenya respectively.
There were also 10,000 speaking Interlingua/Interlingue.
No comments on the overlap.

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6864 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 16 of 43
23 April 2010 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
I've always been more of an Interlingua kind of guy myself.

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version