Triglot
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6689 days ago

133 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese, German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Romanian, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 57 of 197
22 August 2007 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Good luck. I´m at 880. Eight months ago I tried to rush through to the end. Made it till 1900 and lost the motivation to continue. From what I´ve heard it´s not unusual to fail so close to the end. It´s rather easy to get distracted by other things (podcasts, mangas, etc.) at this level. But in the end, I just realized that it would have been best to complete Heisig (with constant reviews) before moving on to other things.

I think that you´re on a good way. I hope that I´ll make it through Heisig till the middle of September. This time I have a follow-up plan (listening-reading the books in your thread), and that alone should be motivation enough for me to continue my Heisig studies every day.

Thanks for this thread.
1 person has voted this message useful

sheetz
United States
Joined 6136 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 58 of 197
23 August 2007 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
Thuan, yes, it's easy to lose track of your goal when you get this close to the end, and it doesn't help that these last kanji are relatively difficult. I had a bad review today and will have to spend a lot of time reinforcing stories from recent lessons.

Still I'm up to #1800, but not without a struggle.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6136 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 59 of 197
24 August 2007 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
Up to #1830. Only one more week to go!

tpiz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
cvillepayne.blogspot
Joined 6123 days ago

77 posts - 79 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, English*, French
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 60 of 197
24 August 2007 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
How long does it take you to make flashcards and review them? I def. have a problem because it takes me a long time to make them and I just give up.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6136 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 61 of 197
24 August 2007 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Do you mean for Assimil or Heisig?

For Assimil it takes maybe 30 min to type a lesson into the SRS. Daily reviews, which average about 50-60 sentences per day, are usually under an hour.

Heisig flash cards take no time to create because I use the RTK website. Reviews average 120-150 expired kanji per day and typically take 1-1.5 hr.

Add these to the daily Assimil lessons and the 30 new kanji stories per day I have to create and it's a wonder I have time to do anything else! I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, but placing that last Heisig kanji is in the first stack will be cause for a huge celebration.

tpiz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
cvillepayne.blogspot
Joined 6123 days ago

77 posts - 79 votes 

Message 62 of 197
24 August 2007 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Yea, sorry, Heisig. So you are just reading the book, creating a story for each kanji, then putting them into RTK until you memorize them?
2 persons have voted this message useful

sheetz
United States
Joined 6136 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 63 of 197
24 August 2007 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
Basically. For trickier kanji I also look at the stories created by others at the RTK website to see if I get any inspiration. I don't worry if I don't know them all that well at first, because you'll review them often enough in the future that they'll eventually stick. The worst thing that could happen is that you just learn them through brute force.

tpiz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
cvillepayne.blogspot
Joined 6123 days ago

77 posts - 79 votes 

Message 64 of 197
24 August 2007 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
alright, how would you keep reviewing them? I don't see anywhere on the RTK site where you can keep reviewing flashcards until you got them.

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version