United States
Joined 6159 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 49 of 197
09 August 2007 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
Just in case it does not work however it might be a good idea to copy and paste some really nice example sentences into mnemosyne.

I'm doing that right now with the Assimil sentences, and after I'm done with Assimil I will continue entering sentences gleaned from various other texts. So you can be sure I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket, so to speak.
1 person has voted this message useful

sheetz
United States
Joined 6159 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 50 of 197
13 August 2007 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
I'm now 3/4 of the way through Heisig. I've come so far, yet there's still a ways to go. Still, I can't say that it's been an unpleasant experience, and I think that's probably due to my going through Assimil at the same time. It's actually very motivating to see kanji I've already covered in Heisig showing up in the new lessons. If I had been doing only Heisig alone I suspect I would have gotten bored long ago.

From here on I'm not going to be actively searching out new audiobooks, but instead will concentrate on creating parallel J/E texts with some of the audiobooks I've already found. I'll start out doing the longer stories which already have online translations available. Those stories includes:

1. Night on the Milky Way Train
2. Le Petit Prince
3. Kokoro
4. Ivan the Fool
5. Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde

I'll be using OpenOffice to do this, but I'm completely inexperienced at this sort of thing, so if anyone has any advice to share, or would like to help out with this project, then please let me know. If a few of us did just a little bit then we could finish this very quickly, much to everyone's benefit.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6159 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 51 of 197
15 August 2007 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Some thoughts on Assimil Japanese. The last dialog in volume 1, lesson 48, was *very* tough, but the beginning few lessons in volume 2 are relatively simple in comparison. In lesson 48 there was just so much new vocabulary thrown at you with very little context that's it's making it very hard for me to learn those sentences.

Also, I've begun creating a parallel text for "Night on the Milky Way Train." The first four chapters are done and so far it's been surprisingly easy going. Since I can recognize many of the kanji from doing Heisig it becomes a simple task to match up the Japanese sentences with their English counterparts.

What also surprised me was when I attempted to do the same thing with "Le Petit Prince." One might assume this would be even easier job due to the few kanji used in the transcript but, in fact, it turns out the opposite is true. Because most sentences are almost entirely in kana it makes it very difficult for me to simply glance at the Japanese text and immediately guess which sentence it corresponds to in the translation. So, as strange as it may sound, I may have to forgo creating parallel texts for "Le Petit Prince" in favor of doing so for some of the "easier" works like "Kokoro."

Edited by sheetz on 15 August 2007 at 6:31pm

sheetz
United States
Joined 6159 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 52 of 197
19 August 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
I'm on the home stretch with Heisig--another week and a half and I should be done--so definitely need to push hard to maintain my motivation. I want to up my daily kanji to 40 and get this done as quickly as possible, but for some reason I can't get myself to actually do it. Nevertheless at my current pace of 30/day it won't make too much of difference in the end.

Assimil is still going well, and I do think I'm beginning to internalize Japanese grammar to a large extent. Recently I've even noticed myself understanding sentences without having to break them up into their separate grammatical components.

One thing Assimil has introduced in recent lessons is a dictation exercise where you are supposed to listen to a few words and then write them out in hiragana. I've been skipping this part since it's all remedial work me, and I've also been skipping the active phase since I feel I'm getting enough review by putting the sentences in the SRS.

tpiz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
cvillepayne.blogspot
Joined 6146 days ago

77 posts - 79 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, English*, French
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 53 of 197
19 August 2007 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Yea I feel the EXACT same way you do with the kanji, I find myself putting them off completely some days. I think for me it's hard cause it takes time to put them in the SRS sometimes, and I hate the whole process of thinking up a mnemonic for a bunch of kanji, but at the same time I want to get done with heisig and move on, I can't wait until I get to that point. With Assimil, are you doing 1 lesson a day? And how many times do you go over the text?

sheetz
United States
Joined 6159 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 54 of 197
19 August 2007 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
There's no way I would be where I am in Heisig without the Reviewing the Kanji site because it makes it so much easier to do. Even though the site's review algorithm isn't the best, it really helps that most of the work is already done for you and to have other people's stories at your fingertips for when you get stuck. I've found that the most important thing, though, is to just get those cards into the first stack so you can begin the process of learning them. It doesn't really matter if your stories aren't so great when you first add them because you'll improve them over subsequent reviews.

For example, for some of my early reviews my passing rates were at times dismally low, but they have gradually gotten better over time. Today I tested myself on 120 kanji and got 90% right.

For Assimil I continue to do 1 lesson per day, but I will repeat many of the earlier lessons, too. So while I may only listen to that day's lesson a few times, I might also listen to the previous 6 lessons several times as well. In addition, for the really tough lessons, I like to go though the dialog a couple of times slowly without the audio. Thus for any given day I may review more than 20 lessons in total. It sounds like a lot, but not really because the lessons are so short, and when pressed for time I only review the dialogs and not the translation exercises.

Edited by sheetz on 19 August 2007 at 5:38pm

tpiz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
cvillepayne.blogspot
Joined 6146 days ago

77 posts - 79 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, English*, French
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 55 of 197
19 August 2007 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
yea the reason I started putting kanji in mnemosyne is because I didn't think the site helped me learn the kanji I didn't know, but I think I might just go back to it because it would save alot of time.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6159 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 56 of 197
22 August 2007 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
Up to #1770 in Heisig. Estimated time till completion of Heisig: 9 days and counting. Will check in every day till then.

Edited by sheetz on 22 August 2007 at 1:45pm

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version