Maxwell
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4981 days ago

29 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: French, English*

Message 17 of 74
01 June 2007 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
I have not tackled Spanish yet so I would like to do the 6 week challenge with this language as I hope to visit my Brother in Spain come September. It is deemed as somewhat easy and it would be interesting to see how far I can progress in this time.

After reading a number of threads on here namely the ones concerned with listening only to learn a language, I have decided to give this approach a go.

The method I would like to try is:

Weeks 1 - 4:
Listen to assimil dialogues only with absolutely no speaking or writing. I would just listen to 2-3 dialogues per day. I will listen for 15 minutes in the morning and then listen to the same dialogues for 15 minutes in the evening. I will do this as often as my 30 minutes study time per day will allow. I will naturally read along with the book as necessary. I will aim to complete 100 dialogues in this way over the 6 weeks. I will employ no drills, no shadowing and no writing etc.

Weeks 5 - 6:
I will use these two weeks to go back and run through all the dialogues that I have completed up until that point. I will shadow the dialogues at the rate of 7 per day as they will be review at this point. I should be able to get through my 100 dialogues as an "active" phase over these two weeks. I do not think the 7 per day will be too much as Spanish is not terribly difficuly to pronounce. If time permits I will write sentences and words from memory also.

It will be interesting to see how much I can learn / retain from a solid month of just listening followed by an intensive 2 weeks of shadowing the same material.

Is there anyone else interested in this method?

Maxwell.

Edited by Maxwell on 01 June 2007 at 12:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 4738 days ago

4474 posts - 6725 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 18 of 74
01 June 2007 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Maxwell: I'm interested in that method. I'll be curious to see how it works for you. I've tried doing seven lessons a day (in Italian, shadowing Assimil); I found that this didn't work particularly well.

[I don't intend to participate in this challenge though; the reason I'm not currently studying Japanese is that I think taking on active study of a seventh language would be too much for me, and this goes even more strongly for starting an entirely new one; Persian has reminded me of how difficult it is to start a new language which isn't closely related to one I have a base in, and Dutch has reminded me that even similar languages require a lot of time and effort (at least, from where I currently am).]

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4712 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 74
01 June 2007 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
To ensure that everyone is studying a language of similar difficulty, it would make sense to study a language isolate. No one would have a true advantage if we studied Basque for example. However, it is not an easy language and the available learning materials are somewhat lacking. Perhaps a Scandinavian language would be most appropriate for this challenge. All the forum members have at least a basic knowledge of English and they are classified as "easy" for an English speaker. They seem to be some of the least studied languages on this forum, so there would be a larger pool of possible contestants.

Jerrod
United States
Joined 4802 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 20 of 74
01 June 2007 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
So let's figure out a way to document the process for maximum results. Things I can think of would be a brief bio and profiles of the languages you know now, your method (stated like Maxwell did) and why, a log you update once a week where you discuss what is going well and what is not, and at the end you summerize: the method with the good and bad, your thoughts on the language, and if possible a small test from the Internet. What else do we need so we can compare the methods?

At the end of August, I (or someone else) will compile all the data but that can be discussed later.

What do you all think about that?

Edited by Jerrod on 01 June 2007 at 2:37pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 4896 days ago

9753 posts - 15776 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 21 of 74
01 June 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
I've tried doing seven lessons a day (in Italian, shadowing Assimil); I found that this didn't work particularly well.
What exactly didn't work? I shadow up to 25 lessons at a time whenever I have enough time for it..

MissMyChris
United States
Joined 4737 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 22 of 74
01 June 2007 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
I might be up for it this time around. I actually started studying French about a month ago, and am hoping to be at a comfortable level by then, so it would be good timing for me. I am thinking German, Turkish (or Kazakh, if anyone can point me to decent resources that don't cost a fortune), or one of the Slavic languages. Or Swahili. Or . . .

German is next on my list. That's what I'm PLANNING on starting in July, if I don't get interested in something else in the meantime. =)

Maxwell
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4981 days ago

29 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: French, English*

Message 23 of 74
01 June 2007 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
lloydkirk,

You make a good point about the Scandinavian languages and if the general consensus moves that way I would be happy to learn a Scandinavian language instead of Spanish. As they are somewhat under represented on this forum then they may well give us a greater number of participants. The only thing I am mindful of is that the language I choose must have an Assimil course available for me to try my proposed method out easily and cheaply. English or French base is fine with me.

Jerrod, I agree with your proposal and think overall this is a fantastic idea. I would be happy to keep a weekly log of my learning activities and thoughts over the 6 week period.

Maxwell.

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 4685 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 24 of 74
01 June 2007 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Where do you get Assimil courses for cheap from? I've only ever seen one assimil course, and it had cassettes!!!(I don't even have a cassette player)

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version