74 messages over 10 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 9 10 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 74
01 June 2007 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
I'm not participating for sure. entrance exams start on the 17th of july.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jerrod
United States
Joined 6288 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 10 of 74
01 June 2007 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
Really I am down for whatever you all want. I just want people to start and FINISH, and the results to be compiled.

How about instead of a start date we make a finish date? I.e. be done with everything by Sep. 1.

With this challenge, I am really only interested in the results and how people achieve them. I think that by examining the different techniques and the results they produced, the whole forum will benefit.

So maybe we can choose whatever language we want, but try to define certain techniques and everyone try one you think is best for you, or one you may not have tried before.

A test is of course not needed. What would be best is for a person to run a log updated once a week: listing what was done, feelings about what is going on, etc..
At the end of the challenge, it would be really nice if people would write sometype of report up, not just on how they did, but on the actual technique.

If we can choose any language though, now I have a problem :) what language to choose.

Edited by Jerrod on 01 June 2007 at 9:26am

Eriol
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6651 days ago

118 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Portuguese

Message 11 of 74
01 June 2007 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
I didn't have the time to take part in the first 6WC, in fact I have been so busy that I haven't even looked at what the rules and results were. I will have a lot more time during the summer so I'm definitely interested now.

As for having rigorous rules, I'm not really fond of that. It's hard to force people to do things over the internet and the simpler it is, the more people will join. Language for me would probably be Georgian, Slovenian or Turkish (all of them for travelling reasons).

Zorndyke
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6743 days ago

374 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Czech

Message 12 of 74
01 June 2007 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
Jerrod, I agree with your last post. Especially the most important part being people finishing their challenges.

I'm quite determined to choose Georgian for the challenge. As I see there are several people here who would also like to take a closer look at it. This could become a relatively huge group for such a rare language this time.

Edited by Zorndyke on 01 June 2007 at 9:22am

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6221 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 74
01 June 2007 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=Jerrod] Jiwon, that is a good point. What languages do you suggest?

"What languages? The original thread suggested to compare "easy" languages, so that would probably mean Esperanto, Indonesian, Swedish or the like."
QUOTE]

well, I gave a second thought about it, and actually, there MIGHT be some of us who haven't touched the popular languages like French, German and Spanish yet (even though I have) and they MIGHT be willing to do the 6WC in these languages.

About the "easy" languages, it might be interesting to compare the progresses made in supposedly "easy" languages and "difficult" languages. So we might choose languages like Dutch, Esperanto and Italian along with some others like Russian, Japanese or Korean.

But I feel that if we ARE to do this 6WC, then I think it's crucially important that people do not choose languages that they REALLY want to study. What if they decide to choose the "wrong" method and get a horrible foundation for the language? And could we also get a list of methods? As for me, the easiest option for me is using web sites that teach languages. I've found one which teaches languages on grammar basis (actually was on someone's post).

If this thing is starting, I'd want to try for Russian, Italian or Spanish (even I've touched the latter two). Even other Slavic or Germanic language sounds fine for me.

Jerrod
United States
Joined 6288 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 14 of 74
01 June 2007 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Well for techniques, I am not exactly sure, just going off the top of my head:
1. The all around approach (like a Teach yourself course, if I choose Spanish)
2. Learning to only read (like for Georgian)
3. Learning to only speak

Notice right below this thread there is someone asking for help for learning French fast, and someone asking what language to start and how. Judith's original idea came from someone asking for help with an easy language for an older brother. That is why the results of the experiment are so important. When someone asks a question we can point to the results of this 6WC (and future ones).

I agree that if you are going for fluency go with the all around approach. What other approachs are there?
What other techniques? Pre-learning vocab, ?

If I choose Spanish (a language I want to learn to fluency) I will take a test simply because I want to see what I can learn from a TYS in 3 months course.

I still think it would be really cool if we could get 20 people per language. I know that won't happen though :(.

Edited by Jerrod on 01 June 2007 at 11:01am

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6221 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 74
01 June 2007 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Just some methods I managed to think of now:

1. Textbook approach (either a textbook or an online course which you follow throughout, accompanied with a dictionary and/or a grammar reference)

2. Dictionary approach (no tapes, no CD, only dictionary and a grammar reference or a grammar course)

3. Classroom approach (going for regular group classes, may be accompanied by either method 1 or 2)

4. Private class method (get a private tutor, would probably be mixed with method 1)

Any other suggestions?

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6171 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 16 of 74
01 June 2007 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
I have just come across this website, and of course had to register and join in right away. I would love to participate in this 6 week challenge. I'm out of school for the summer and have several language books of languages I've never touched, but just thought it would be a good idea to own. I have TYS Turkish, Greek and Polish. Polish I think would be interesting since I speak a little Russian and Croatian. I'm up for any language that I don't already speak though. When shall this challenge start?

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version