Joined 6717 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 53
07 March 2014 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
Status report!

Week 4: 45 minutes of listening to RnaG. Also, the course in Old Irish had started, so I spent ~1 hour on the assignment (exercise 1 from "Old-Irish workbook").

Week 5: No modern Irish, but another ~4 hours on Old Irish exercises (2 and 3).

Week 6: Two rounds of shadowing etc., 75 minutes (lessons 13-15 for Gaeilge gan Stró Beginners, 1-2 from the Intermediate volume), and 45 minutes (14-15 GGS1, 1-3 GGS2), listening to RnaG for 75 minutes. Another 4 hours of Old Irish exercises (4-6).

Week 7: ~1 hours on Old Irish (7-8). Modern Irish III started the same week, and I had barely started working on the assignment before the week was over. Bonus/(Reason): I went to a couple of concerts in Uppsala and got to hear some songs in Irish (sung by Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh in the group Altan).

Week 8: I finished the assignment where I had to translate some sentences, read and listen to the poem Athair (written and read by Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill), have a look at "Bliain in Inis Mór" (Episode 1) on RTE, and write a short summary of the episode. I think it took me ~2 hours to finish. By Sunday that week, I had spent another 90 minutes on Old Irish exercises (9-10) and 2 hours on that week's assignment in Modern Irish - translating a longer text into Irish, some grammar exercises on prepositions, watching a TV news piece and doing some exercises related to that clip (check out the Vifax site!).

Week 9: 75 minutes scriptorium (GGS1:14), ~1 hour of shadowing (GGS1:15, GGS2:1-4), half an hour on Basic Irish (unit 9, prepositions), a one-on-one lesson with my teacher - we chatted for a while and spent the other half on idioms based on verbs+prepositional pronouns. I really enjoy the chats despite that my vocabulary gaps make it difficult to understand everything as well as coming up with intelligent answers.... Some ~2 hours on listening to RnaG, 2.5 hours on the first half of the assignment (putting verbs into past tense, into future tense, fill-in-the-gaps, idioms, changing sentences into subordinate clauses ("Deir si go/nach..."), impersonal verbs, recording myself reading a text form GGS2). And 2 hours on Old Irish exercises (11-12).

I generally don't do the assignments until the last day of the week, which may sound stupid. But sometimes it just isn't possible to do any serious studying on a normal workday. And what's more important, I feel that I gain more if I study for longer sessions.

Phew!

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 07 March 2014 at 12:09am

2 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5199 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 27 of 53
07 March 2014 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Great progress! That Vifax site looks great!
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6717 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 53
08 April 2014 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Status report!
Week 10
~2 hours on finishing the assignment I started the day before.
Two bilingual 60 minute sessions with The Hobbit/An Hobad (pages 163-175, 175-187)
75 minutes of scriptorium (GGS1:15)
2 hours of Old Irish exercises (13-15)

Week 11
45 minutes of shadowing (GGS2:1-5) and 30 minutes of scriptorium (GGS2:1).
~2 hours preparing for that week’s hour-long lesson (which got post-poned due to technical issues).
Another scriptorium session, 75 minutes (GGS2:1).
3 hours of Old Irish (16-18).

Week 12
Three RnaG sessions while at work (90 minutes, 60 minutes, 2 hours).
2+3 hours on that week’s assignment (conditional mood, subjunctive, impersonal verbs).
3 hours of Old Irish (19-20) - I was taken by surprise when I found that this was the last assignment before the exam.

Week 13
One RnaG session, ~1 hour of whatever was broadcast the hour before noon (the time of the day I normally tune in to the station).
The hour-long lession turned into 90 minutes - exercises on “if … then” clauses (má, dá and mura) taken from a book written for native speakers (!); reading a text aloud and translating it on the spot.
One hour of reviewing Old Irish grammar (basically skimming through lessons 1-20) and finally I spent two hours on the actual exam (84 points out of 100 - Passed with distinction).

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5199 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 29 of 53
09 April 2014 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:

One hour of reviewing Old Irish grammar (basically skimming through lessons 1-20) and
finally I spent two hours on the actual exam (84 points out of 100 - Passed with
distinction).

Comhghairdeas!

I've just started GGS2 we'll see how I get on with it. The voice actor for Colm (first
dialogue) is hard for me to understand and from what I can tell by listening ahead they
used him a lot.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4412 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 30 of 53
24 April 2014 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
Hey Jeff, is léir go bhfuil tú ag baint taitnimh as do chuid stáidéir ar an nGaeilge!

I'm curious as to how you're finding Old Irish, what materials are you using and such? I
must say that I'm really thinking of delving into it this summer. Is the verbal system
really as crazy as they make out?!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6717 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 53
24 April 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Main material:
Old-Irish workbook
Dublin : Royal Irish Academy, 1975 - 163 s.
ISBN: 0-901714-08-9

Strachan John Bergin Osborn
Old-Irish paradigms and selections from the Old-Irish glosses. 4. ed. /b rev. by Osborn Bergin
Dublin : Hodges, 1949 - 216 s.
ISBN: 0-901714-35-6

Supplementary titles:
McCone Kim
A first Old Irish grammar and reader : including an introduction to Middle Irish
Maynooth : Department of Old and Middle Irish, 2005 - 275 s.
ISBN: 0-901519-36-7 (pbk.)

Stifter David.
Sengoidelc : Old Irish for beginners 1st ed.
Syracuse, N.Y. : Syracuse University Press, 2006. - xii, 391 p.
ISBN: 0-8156-3072-7 (pbk. : alk. paper) LIBRIS-ID: 10618171

Thurneysen Rudolf
A grammar of Old Irish Rev. and enlarged ed., with suppl.
Dublin : Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies, 1975 - xxi, 704 s.
ISBN: 1-85500-161-6 LIBRIS-ID: 6466346

I don't remember which of the supplementary titles were available at archive.org, but I have downloaded few of them.

Dipping your toes in Old Irish is a bit like studying Latin. Conjugated verbs in all persons, dependent and independent forms of verbs, impersonal verbs, nouns in many declensions and cases, and then translating mock sentences which look like "I go into the battle and I am struck by the warrior’s sword.".

The Word files on this page have been quite helpful:
http://earlyirish.csc.tcdlife.ie/study.htm

Let me know if/when you decide to take the plunge, and I'll point you to other online resources. Doesn't Josquin study Old Irish as well?
4 persons have voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4412 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 32 of 53
27 April 2014 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all that, Jeff! Yeah I remember Josquin was studying some Old Irish too, using
that Stifter book I believe.

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version