United States
Joined 5916 days ago

91 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 40
24 January 2009 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
jimbo baby! wrote:
This is slightly off topic but what kind of fish is that and is it any good?

It looks like it could be appetizing but I don't like the way it is served with the head still attached. It must be a cultural difference because here we're used to only being served filets.

I have no idea... :) We were at a place they call a "botanera," where basically snack dishes and beer is sold. It's a popular after-work hangout for those in this area of the state of Morelos. The fish farm is there, but small. It was originally part of a network of them created by the state of Morelos to enrich their economy, as there isn't much unique from the area that can be exported to other parts of Mexico for sale.

Sorry I cannot be of much help on the type of fish. Here in the U.S. we generally do eat fish as filets and not with the heads attached. We, of course, didn't eat the head but ate the meat off with a fork. I agree that it's a cultural difference.

-ZTX
1 person has voted this message useful

Welltravelled
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5643 days ago

46 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 19 of 40
27 February 2009 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
My immersion/intensive experience

Well, I can add my two pennies worth here I think,a s I had a very good "mini" immersin experience a couple of years ago. I first studied French at an immersion weekend run by The Paul Noble Language Institute, which is London based. I can vouch for the quality of their course for anyone who is either a beginner or who does know some of the language but can't quite get over that barrier to actually communicate in it properly.

Anyway, it was a very significant learning experience for me and well worth the mere £90 that I paid for the two days.

Welltravelled
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5643 days ago

46 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 20 of 40
05 March 2009 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Did anyone else know any inexpensive options like this?

jimbo baby!
United States
Joined 5758 days ago

202 posts - 208 votes 
2 sounds

Message 21 of 40
17 March 2009 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
zocurtis wrote:
jimbo baby! wrote:
[QUOTE=ZeroTX]
It must be a cultural difference because here we're used to only being served filets.

*Laughing*... Where do you live, McDonald's? I'm so sorry but I had to let that one out.   It was too funny.

umm, ok. I'm glad I was able to make you laugh, I guess.

ZeroTX
Groupie
United States
Joined 5916 days ago

91 posts - 100 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 22 of 40
17 March 2009 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
jimbo baby! wrote:
zocurtis wrote:
jimbo baby! wrote:
[QUOTE=ZeroTX]
It must be a cultural difference because here we're used to only being served filets.

*Laughing*... Where do you live, McDonald's? I'm so sorry but I had to let that one out.   It was too funny.

umm, ok. I'm glad I was able to make you laugh, I guess.

I didn't get why that is funny, either. Cutting fish into filets is the normal and typical way of eating fish. We don't eat it off the bone (generally speaking) in the U.S.

Nadien
Triglot
Indonesia
Joined 5459 days ago

23 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Indonesian*, French, English
Studies: Italian

Message 23 of 40
09 May 2009 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
And I'll be in Montreal Canada this July to join the immersion program for about 3 weeks..
Can't wait til the big day..I'm so excited
2 persons have voted this message useful

blank_frackis
Scotland
Joined 5801 days ago

15 posts - 23 votes
Studies: French

Message 24 of 40
23 May 2009 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
Welltravelled wrote:
My immersion/intensive experience

Well, I can add my two pennies worth here I think,a s I had a very good "mini" immersin experience a couple of years ago. I first studied French at an immersion weekend run by The Paul Noble Language Institute, which is London based. I can vouch for the quality of their course for anyone who is either a beginner or who does know some of the language but can't quite get over that barrier to actually communicate in it properly.

Anyway, it was a very significant learning experience for me and well worth the mere £90 that I paid for the two days.

What is the Paul Noble course actually like? Is it something vaguely equivalent to Michel Thomas courses (limited conversational French which allows you to meet "survival level" but nothing else) or is it more substantive? How are the lessons actually conducted?

I'm interested in the course, but naturally a little sceptical of the jargon displayed on the website.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version