Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
40 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
magic9man2
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6415 days ago

149 posts - 153 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French, Cantonese, Russian, Korean, Taiwanese, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 17 of 40
25 December 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
You're making good, steady progress. You should try to stick with just one language more though lol. GL with furthered studies
1 person has voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6233 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 18 of 40
07 February 2008 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
Played with Japanese, Russian, Italian and German. Japanese mostly vocabulary, and "Learn Basic Japanese". German and Italian mostly movies. I have "sampled" so much Russian that I might as well say I'm studying it.

reineke
United States
Joined 6233 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 19 of 40
07 March 2008 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
A lot of Russian. Vocabulearn, random reading, often just titles of well-known classics and book reviews. Some listening. I saw several children's movies, Ilya Muromets etc and a crime miniseries Brigada. Picture dictionary. I should do some Pimsleur... Hmgrmble.

German - movies, documentaries. A pinch of French - watched an entire animated series. Italian - very little.

Japanese - ALMOST NOTHING. Vocabulearn.

Spanish - bought more material. The DK picture dictionary and two collections of children's stories.

May 2-4 2008
Oxford Picture Dictionary, Vocabulearn, Pimsleur, Teach Yourself Russian Grammar, a limited number of Russian movies repeated ad nauseam, children's books, picture books etc. and young adult literature. Internet Radio. Very limited time. Unlimited willingness to cut corners.

During the last few days I've been looping the Russian movies and listening to Russian vocabulary. I am learning vocabulary out of context and thinking of ways to tackle Japanese. One of the movies is Skazka o poteryannom vremeni (The Tale of Time Lost) which is appropriate punishment for my laziness. I am also checking out Steve's (Zhuangzi) LingQ.

I am sort of out of exercise with language learning. Ahem, actively, using "real" grammars and textbooks. I will try to refresh what I have already learned as far as Japanese is concerned, but I will tackle Russian first and likely Spanish. I can afford to make mistakes, lose time there. Making mistakes with Japanese is similar to steering a large ship, it takes a long time to notice and go back on course.

May 24 2008 Yawn. Well, so far so good. Most of my study time was really dead time or someone else's time lol. In the evenings I am too tired to pay attention, but I've been tugging at it and I can see the results. It's difficult to judge, language sort of creeps up on you. I need to sleep more. Seriously.

Pimsleur Russian I 1-16 done
16-26 need one more sweep
Vocabulearn I some 70% done. Ridiculously inefficient, at first glance. Basic vocabulary needs overlearning.
1 chapter of a Russian book - audio + Russian text 2x times
Picture dictionary + random Russian audio
Russian movie "Skazka..." - looping it over and over. It's near perfect for language learning. A few scenes with chases etc and no talk but otherwise great. My other expeditions into Russian cinema were not so successful.I'll probably turn to cartoons - the few that I can find. Later to documentaries. Slim pickings there as well, but enough for my purpose I suppose.

Bought the largest, most up-to-date dictionary I could find (Oxford).

08 September 2008
Stopped doing Pimsleur soon after my last post. Finished Vocabulearn I. I didn't do much during the past few months but I kept tugging at it - like grandpa and grandma with that turnip. Maybe I'll pull it out by January.

Tonight I finished my first Russian book.

Edited by reineke on 12 December 2008 at 1:25pm

reineke
United States
Joined 6233 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 20 of 40
12 December 2008 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
My “plan” for 2009

Russian: meh
Italian: uh, I guess I’ll do something
French ugh
Spanish: uh, oh
German: aarrgh!
Japanese: d’oh!

1 Sleep more
2 sleep less but use the time wisely
3 try to relax; if unsuccessful, see no.4
4 try not to burst a vessel
5 stop posting

Edit: I managed to write my 500th post. Posts 470-500 were reserved for the TAC. SOMEONE HELP ME, PLEASE!! Aaaahh!

Edited by reineke on 13 December 2008 at 3:23pm

reineke
United States
Joined 6233 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 21 of 40
18 December 2008 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
I don't have a chance in heck to start Japanese in 2009. Or 2010. Sigh.

Italian: TV, reading etc.

French/German
maintenance/possible upgrade

Movies, books...
German: bonus points, sugar plums and treats for every major reading effort

Russian/Spanish

Continue with vocabulary experiments
Continue with Russian.
I'm not sure I will have much time for Spanish, but I'll try.

Edited by reineke on 02 January 2009 at 12:09am

reineke
United States
Joined 6233 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 22 of 40
01 January 2009 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
Japanese is going in the slow cooker.

The TAC goal remains the same - get a lot of work done in 2009.

I will periodically provide updates on my blog (link on the left side). Or not, lol. I will stop posting here.

Edited by reineke on 02 January 2009 at 12:01am

reineke
United States
Joined 6233 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 23 of 40
03 January 2011 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
Mehehe, I'm a bit late. I originally stopped with my 666th post, and then after a short
relapse on the 699th. Japanese has been cooking so slowly it's by now a delicious
sukiyaki. My German is awesome. French - if Japanese is sukiyaki, then French is...
something else. Yeah. I rock.

reineke
United States
Joined 6233 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 24 of 40
09 January 2011 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
I think I will continue with this log. Or not. The best way to ensure failure is to make
a firm plan about something. I was able to reconstruct some of my recent efforts mainly
thanks to some of my other wailings of discontent here and that's one reason why I'm
bumping this up. My most recent efforts were related to German so I suppose I should
provide a short intro. I picked up German in the 1990's purely by accident - watching TV
from time to time. After a multi-year break I resumed consuming German content in 2009
and 2010. I am not a big believer in any method. I respect grammar and give it wide
berth.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version