Triglot
United States
Joined 6658 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Italian, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 25 of 35
06 May 2007 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Yep, magister, that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Day 18 (May 3rd)

-Completed Elementary Turkish chapter 12.

Day 19 (May 4th)

-Flipped through my Turkish phrasebook throughout the day.

Day 20 (May 5th)

-Completed TY Turkish chapter 14.

In the last sessions, I encountered the imperfect, some stuff about transitive and intransitive verbs, and how to express "each other". I'm getting much quicker at recognizing the grammar and I'm starting to figure out a lot more things in context. I'm still not totally ready to take on much real world material, but I'm getting there.
1 person has voted this message useful

Frisco
Triglot
United States
Joined 6658 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 

Message 26 of 35
07 May 2007 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Day 21 (May 6th)

-Completed TY Turkish chapter 15.

Learned about passives and reflexives here. Nothing too confusing, just different--which is what Turkish is all about coming from an Indo-European background.

I hope I can dip into some Turkish media this week. I should be able to finish TY Turkish tomorrow and with that I'll be better prepared to blow through Elementary Turkish and a few other courses (e.g. the FSI course I haven't even started yet), so hopefully the lessons will be easy enough that I'll want to challenge myself with articles and TV. I imagine I'll be somewhere inbetween being bored with the lessons and being completely stumped by authentic materials.

Frisco
Triglot
United States
Joined 6658 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 

Message 27 of 35
10 May 2007 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Day 22 (May 7th)

-Completed the last chapter (16) of Teach Yourself Turkish. Huzzah!

Day 23 (May 8th)

-Completed Elementary Turkish chapter 13.

Day 24 (May 9th)

-Completed Elementary Turkish chapters 14 & 15.

Now that I've completed my primary course, it's time for some hardcore review and clarification of grammar points in addition to vocab building. I'm still shying away from real Turkish stuff because I don't want to feel discouraged by not understanding something (anything), but I'm going to have to get over that. I wish I had some good readers and bilingual books, but resources like that are hard to come by. I'm going to have to make due with what's on the internet and just hope I'm translating things correctly (or I can try to find a Turk who will put up with my annoying questions).

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6405 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 35
10 May 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
Frisco wrote:
I wish I had some good readers and bilingual books, but resources like that are hard to come by. I'm going to have to make due with what's on the internet and just hope I'm translating things correctly (or I can try to find a Turk who will put up with my annoying questions).

This is a pretty nice site, if you haven't found it already. It's free, and there are native speakers there who are willing to answer questions. The same goes for the Unilang forums.

Frisco
Triglot
United States
Joined 6658 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 

Message 29 of 35
14 May 2007 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the links, magister.

Day 25 (May 10th)

-Listened to some of the TY Turkish dialogues.

-Reviewed the first 4 chapters of Starting Turkish.

Day 26 (May 11th)

-Went through a newspaper article and wrote down new vocab.

Day 27 (May 12th)

-Watched some Turkish music videos.

Day 28 (May 13th)

-Internet TV surfed some Turkish stations. Watched part of a movie about an unappreciated grandmother.

I'm digging in now. I do feel a little bad that I don't understand a whole lot even after studying pretty hard for the past 4 weeks, but I'm sure I'll find my comprehension improving if I'm consistent with my TV watching. I don't have the luxury of closed captioning like I did with Spanish, but context alone should be enough to catch a lot of useful language.

Edited by Frisco on 14 May 2007 at 2:37am

Frisco
Triglot
United States
Joined 6658 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 

Message 30 of 35
19 May 2007 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Day 29 (May 14th)

-Completed Elementary Turkish 16.

Day 30 (May 15th)

-Completed Elementary Turkish 17 & 18.

Day 31 (May 16th)

-Completed Elementary Turkish 19.

Day 32 (May 17th)

-Completed Elementary Turkish 20.

Day 33 (May 18th)

-Completed Elementary Turkish 21.

Spot a trend here? Yeah, I'm going full speed through Elementary Turkish. I'm on pace to finish it this weekend. I've been drilling some of the more challenging aspects (verbal nouns and such) in these last chapters. I haven't been on the internet as much, so I haven't been keeping up with my Turkish TV watching, but I'll get to do plenty of that once I finish this book. Speaking of books, I've got some Stephen King novels translated into Turkish coming in with the corresponding English originals for reference. That should be interesting.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Frisco
Triglot
United States
Joined 6658 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 

Message 31 of 35
20 May 2007 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
Day 34 (May 19th)

-Completed the last chapters of Elementary Turkish.

-Completed units 1-10 of FSI Turkish.

It feels good to finally finish the Turkish book I picked up on a whim 3 years ago. I wasn't sure if I'd ever get around to seriously studying this language, but I've been doing it and doing it consistently. That gives me hope for my future as a polyglot.

Almost 5 weeks in, I'm just barely starting the FSI Turkish course that I downloaded. I probably should've used it from the beginning because it's very helpful for pronunciation and drilling the basics, but I just didn't want to spend that much time at my computer (on account of my eyes and the fact that I'm easily distracted). Now that I've finished the other two courses, I should be able to get through it without as much staring and squinting.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6405 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 35
20 May 2007 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Since the FSI course is some 40 years old, some vocab sounds dated. Make sure you check the General Forums at the site, and look for a Turkish thread I started. In it, Daristani points out all the dated vocabulary pretty thoroughly.

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version