Canada
Joined 6499 days ago

321 posts - 327 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Italian

Message 17 of 69
29 March 2007 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
AND babies have nothing to rely on, their mind is still empty of descriptive and thinking tools. Whereas you could still think and describe to yourself what you're thinking of without your foreign language.

The need is definitely less when you already have one language to think.

Hard to describe but...
1 person has voted this message useful

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6428 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 18 of 69
29 March 2007 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
Linguamor wrote:
Children learn language from exposure to language that they can understand. That is exactly how I learned Norwegian, in Norway, as an adult, without any language study.

Linguamor, what made it comprehensible in this case?

Context. At first most language directed at me was in English, but lots of Norwegian was spoken in my presence. I gradually began to understand more and more of what I heard, and as I understood more, more of the language directed at me was in Norwegian. I continued to speak English. I was not motivated to learn Norwegian, since I did not expect to stay in Norway. However, I did gradually begin to speak Norwegian, mostly to shopkeepers and the like at first, and then eventually to everyone I met. I also had begun to read Norwegian newspapers - I was working in an office, there was a lot of downtime, and there were newspapers lying around, so I read them, understanding what I could.

It was only later that I encountered the concept of comprehensible input and realized how I had learned Norwegian. I have since let the concept of comprehensible input guide my learning of other languages, with very pleasing results.

2 persons have voted this message useful

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6501 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 19 of 69
29 March 2007 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Linguamor wrote:
frenkeld wrote:
Linguamor wrote:
Children learn language from exposure to language that they can understand. That is exactly how I learned Norwegian, in Norway, as an adult, without any language study.

Linguamor, what made it comprehensible in this case?

Context. At first most language directed at me was in English, but lots of Norwegian was spoken in my presence. I gradually began to understand more and more of what I heard, and as I understood more, more of the language directed at me was in Norwegian. I continued to speak English. I was not motivated to learn Norwegian, since I did not expect to stay in Norway. However, I did gradually begin to speak Norwegian, mostly to shopkeepers and the like at first, and then eventually to everyone I met. I also had begun to read Norwegian newspapers - I was working in an office, there was a lot of downtime, and there were newspapers lying around, so I read them, understanding what I could.

It was only later that I encountered the concept of comprehensible input and realized how I had learned Norwegian. I have since let the concept of comprehensible input guide my learning of other languages, with very pleasing results.

Awhile ago I read an earlier post of yours about comprehensible input.I am still a little confused about it.Can someone benefit from comprehensible input without being completely immersed in the language?Does it only work if you live in a country or place that speaks your target-language?

kinoko
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6446 days ago

103 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 20 of 69
29 March 2007 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
Linguamor please don't be silly! The only reason you could do that with Norwegian was for a certain transparency with English (and maybe with other scandinavian languages you already knew, even if I am not sure about what you learnt first...). Try to learn Chinese or Korean in that way and you'll end up knowing absolutely NOTHING even after ten years of exposure. I see plenty of people here in Japan who have been immersed for YEARS and are even married with a Japanese wife or husband, do not have any opportunity to use their language outside the small circle of a couple of people and still can't speak a word.

jstele
Bilingual
United States
Joined 6465 days ago

186 posts - 194 votes 
Studies: Korean*

Message 21 of 69
29 March 2007 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
I know that Linguamor's approach can work for Korean as I have acquired vocabulary through exposure as well not only as a child, but also as an adult. Hearing the same word in different contexts, you cannot help but extract the meaning of the word. I don't understand why people are so defensive. With enough comprehensible input presented in the right way, there should be no problem absorbing the language like a child.
2 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6753 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 22 of 69
29 March 2007 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Linguamor wrote:
Context. At first most language directed at me was in English, but lots of Norwegian was spoken in my presence. I gradually began to understand more and more of what I heard, and as I understood more, more of the language directed at me was in Norwegian. ...

Did you use any study aids at all? Did you own a grammar book or a textbook? Did you ever open a dictionary? Did you ever receive any grammatical explanations from the natives? Also, if this took place after you'd studied languages at the university, did you find your general insight into grammatical phenomena and terminology helping you figure out the structure of Norwedgian?

Linguamor wrote:

I must say I am skeptical that a single idea can be the end-all of language learning. Not that it may not be relevant, or even very relevant, it's just that there may be "implementation" details that may also be important.

Here is one model of comprehensible input, straight out of Barry Farber: (1) you read the first 5 chapters of a textbook; (2) you continue reading your textbook, but also open your first newspaper article, look up every unknown word in the first sentence, understand the sentence the best you can, record the words that now make sense on flashcards, move on to the next sentence.

This is comprehensible input, especially if the reading matter is chosen well, yet this isn't how you learn languages. So, there must be more to your way of learning and teaching, but because you believe in one concept, you seem to see the rest as incidental details, even while paradoxically being quite attached to them, and try to force everything into the comprehensible input framework rather that merely let it illuminate and guide certain aspects of how you learn and teach languages.

In any case, this is what I am afraid may be happening, but I could be wrong, of course. Just on the off-chance that I am not entirely wrong, please, continue to share the details of how you do things, for your specific choices and preferences are not all automatically obvious from the comprehensible input concept alone and just may point to some other aspects of language learning and acquisition.

Edited by frenkeld on 30 March 2007 at 12:06am

jstele
Bilingual
United States
Joined 6465 days ago

186 posts - 194 votes 
Studies: Korean*

Message 23 of 69
29 March 2007 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
kinoko wrote:
Linguamor please don't be silly! The only reason you could do that with Norwegian was for a certain transparency with English (and maybe with other scandinavian languages you already knew, even if I am not sure about what you learnt first...). Try to learn Chinese or Korean in that way and you'll end up knowing absolutely NOTHING even after ten years of exposure. I see plenty of people here in Japan who have been immersed for YEARS and are even married with a Japanese wife or husband, do not have any opportunity to use their language outside the small circle of a couple of people and still can't speak a word.

I'm sure or I hope it is an exaggeration that they cannot speak a word. If that is the case, then they did not take the right approach to learning. You can't just hear input, you must pay attention with an intent to understand what is being said. You must pay attention to the manner in which things are spoken. Then, slowly, gradually, you will notice patterns and your abilities will increase exponentially.

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6428 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 24 of 69
29 March 2007 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
kinoko wrote:

At the time I only knew English and some French. I'm quite sure that with ten years of exposure to Chinese or Korean I could understand (comprehensible input) I would know quite a lot of spoken Chinese or Korean. Simple immersion is not enough, the exposure has to contain comprehensible input, i.e. language that one can understand.

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version