Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
16 messages over 2 pages: 1
japkorengchi
Hong Kong
Joined 5952 days ago

334 posts - 355 votes 

Message 9 of 16
23 March 2007 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Those materials are designed with the typical Japanese way of delicacy. Beautiful pictures with CDs. They have language magazines for many languages as well. And they are designed with the aim to make the users enjoy the process rather than drilling you.

Surprisingly, Chinese has become a good "mediating" language as well. Perhaps due to the 2008 Olympics, university and schools teaching foreign languages have increased. You can find hundreds of textbooks in Japanese, Korean, French, German, Spanish, etc in Chinese bookstores.

Even though I can't practise two languages at the same time by using Chinese sources, many series of them are really recommendable. The most important is that, they are much much cheaper than materials in Japanese or English.
1 person has voted this message useful

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 5922 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 10 of 16
20 September 2007 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
The one Japanese person I've ever met had very good English, on account of having studied in England for awhile. I still had to stop and explain myself quite a bit, but that's because I speak very colloquial New England-ese. :-)

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6040 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 11 of 16
21 September 2007 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Living in Japan, I can say many Japanese are interested in languages, and learning a language is a hobby for many, many people (unlike the general Canadian and American population), but the Japanese don't have many opportunities to use most languages and don't strive for fluency the way Europeans do.

There's also the issue that most of the "popular" and influential languages are European ones (Korean excepted), and thus very, very different from Japanese grammatically and lexically, not to mention culturally. As a result, Japanese tend to think of themselves as poor language learners, even though this is not strictly true.

Nevertheless, the country is awash with language schools and wonderful language materials — generally better than what I could find back in Canada.

I don't know exactly what second-language grade-school education (usually English, though French, Korean, and Chinese are also taught) is like. However, the teachers are all Japanese with imperfect English, and the teaching assistants (often native speakers from Canada, Australia, etc.) usually don't speak Japanese, so they can't explain anything and they don't understand which concepts present the most difficulty to Japanese. A lot of teaching assistants aren't even native English speakers and merely bluffed their way into their jobs.

Quote:
Those materials are designed with the typical Japanese way of delicacy. Beautiful pictures with CDs. They have language magazines for many languages as well. And they are designed with the aim to make the users enjoy the process rather than drilling you.

That is a very interesting remark and quite true. However, some of the better language series also do have supplemental workbooks.

Edited by Captain Haddock on 21 September 2007 at 1:37am

nhk9
Canada
Joined 6076 days ago

290 posts - 319 votes 

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

/forum/forum_posts.asp, line 1298