Roger
United Kingdom
Joined 6374 days ago

159 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Indonesian

Message 1 of 96
12 January 2007 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
When at my local library I started speaking to a bloke who was browsing the language section for assimil, we got chatting about languages and he told me that he recently bought assimil Spanish with ease. He said he does 10 lessons per day (without doing the exercises) in an effort to really get to grips and 'absorb' the language. He then said he completes the course twice per month for two months. He will then spend two months writing/translating and working on pronounciation.

He explained to me that, doing it this way will put him in contact with Spanish so much that his brain won't have a say wether it absorbs the language or not, thus he should absorb the Spanish really well. He has done this with French and Dutch, and has good conversational speech in them, I have to admit. Using no more than assimil.

I am coming to the conclusion that there are near endless ways for using assimil. How do you rate the sound of This chaps method? It works for sure, he has proven that.

How do people who do not use assimil the convensional way use assimil? If people are using it differantly from that of the assimil instructions, and have success I would like to here.

cheers
1 person has voted this message useful

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6400 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 2 of 96
12 January 2007 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
I have the Assimil Dutch course, but my level of Dutch is higher than Assimil, so I only use it for pronunciation. However, I have used other materials in other languages to learn languages "the Assimil way" - this is, in fact, how I learn languages.

If I were to start learning a new language with Assimil, this is how I would go about it. I would listen to the first lesson, following the text in the book, then I would read the text, using the notes and translation to make sure I understood it. I would then listen again, following the text in the book. Then I would go on to the next lesson. I would follow the same procedure for the second lesson, and then the third, and so on. After a few lessons (say five or six), I would return again to the first lesson, which would be much easier now, and I would repeat the process, this time going five or six lessons farther than where I had stopped the previous time. I would continue through the course this way, going back five or six lessons each time, and progressing five or six lessons beyond where I had stopped the previous time.

3 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6725 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 3 of 96
12 January 2007 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
I have two questions about this (putative) approach. Would you relisten or just reread the older lessons? When and how would you start on the active skills?

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6310 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 4 of 96
12 January 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
The key on assimil is WRITE the lesson too, not just heard it. I have studied German, Japanese and French with Assimil, and if you write the lessons after hearing and reading em till you understand it, it works. And the 2ยบ wave its important to, so, what you have incorporated in "rules" will pass to be incorparated by the intuition, its just a mental process.

Assimil books owns

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6400 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 5 of 96
13 January 2007 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
I have two questions about this (putative) approach. Would you relisten or just reread the older lessons? When and how would you start on the active skills?

I would both reread and relisten to the earlier lessons. I have, however, used this method with materials that did not have audio.

I would start on the active skills almost immediately, but not using the book. Even after the first few lessons I would be able to actively recall some of the language. I would use this language to start thinking in the language, thinking about the type of things that the lessons were based on, and also forming any other thoughts I could manage to form in the language - rehearsing the language in my mind.

Edited by Linguamor on 03 February 2007 at 3:43am

Roger
United Kingdom
Joined 6374 days ago

159 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Indonesian

Message 6 of 96
13 January 2007 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
interesting, thanks linguamor.

Guido I have to agree about the writing out of assimil lessons, it really does work.

Edited by Roger on 13 January 2007 at 6:01am

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6725 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 7 of 96
13 January 2007 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Linguamor wrote:
I would start on the active skills almost immediately
As for the second, "active wave" of Assimil, I would recommend doing it according to the instructions in the book ...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The next, and for now probably final, quesiton I have is how and when you would approach acquiring decent pronunciation, both with Assimil and the way you've done it with other materials.

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6400 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 

Message 8 of 96
14 January 2007 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:

The next, and for now probably final, quesiton I have is how and when you would approach acquiring decent pronunciation, both with Assimil and the way you've done it with other materials.

I find it very easy to acquire good pronunciation, so my answer may not be very helpful. I really do no more than listen to the language and imitate what I hear, trying from the beginning to sound as much like a native speaker as posssible. In the beginning I am satisfied with pronunciation that is good, but not perfect. With more exposure to spoken language, my pronunciation continues to get better.

Edited by Linguamor on 14 January 2007 at 3:11am

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version