Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3812 days ago

507 posts - 1097 votes 
Studies: German

Message 1 of 1
06 May 2020 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
FOR REPOSTING TO THE “A LANGUAGE LEARNERS’ FORUM” (LLORG)
During the period from February 2020 through May 2020, I conducted a complete revision to the twenty-eight (28) lists of resources which I had posted on the LLORG during the previous three-year period. As revising these types of documents directly on the LLORG in the “Edit Mode” is fraught with difficulties, I removed their contents from the LLORG, stored them on my computer, and completed the revisions. During the revision process an event occurred which prevented me from reposting the contents to their original files and, as a contingency measure, I have posted them here on the HTLAL in the anticipation that either the Administrator or the Moderators of the LLORG will copy/paste them to the LLORG. - Speakeasy

1. INTRODUCTION

South Africa
South Africa, officially the Republic of South Africa (RSA), is the southernmost country in Africa. It is bounded to the south by 2,798 kilometres (1,739 mi) of coastline of Southern Africa stretching along the South Atlantic and Indian Oceans; to the north by the neighbouring countries of Namibia, Botswana, and Zimbabwe; and to the east and northeast by Mozambique and Eswatini (Swaziland); and it surrounds the enclaved country of Lesotho. South Africa is the largest country in Southern Africa and the 24th-largest country in the world by land area and, with over 58 million people, is also the world's 24th-most populous nation. It is the southernmost country on the mainland of the Old World or the Eastern Hemisphere. About 80 percent of South Africans are of Bantu ancestry, divided among a variety of ethnic groups speaking different African languages, nine of which have official status. The remaining population consists of Africa's largest communities of European, Asian (Indian), and multiracial (Coloured) ancestry. South Africa is a multiethnic society encompassing a wide variety of cultures, languages, and religions. Its pluralistic makeup is reflected in the constitution's recognition of 11 official languages, which is the fourth-highest number in the world.] Two of these languages are of European origin: Afrikaans developed from Dutch and serves as the first language of most coloured and white South Africans; English reflects the legacy of British colonialism, and is commonly used in public and commercial life, though it is fourth-ranked as a spoken first language.

Afrikaans Language
Afrikaans is an Indo-European language which diverged from 17th century Dutch and now has added words from other languages as well. Afrikaans does retain around 80-90% of the same vocabulary as Standard Nederlands, albeit with altered spelling, and simplified grammar. It is not completely clear how Afrikaans came to be, and learning about the history of Afrikaans is also to briefly learn the history of European settlement in Southern Africa. The development of Afrikaans may have begun in 1652 when Jan van Riebeeck of the Dutch East India Company chose to bring small groups of farmers to the Cape of Good Hope to set up a supply post for Dutch ships en route to the East Indies. This was not originally intended as a permanent settlement, but the farmers stayed and founded what is now Cape Town. Later, French Huguenots, local Khoisan tribes, and slaves from other parts of Africa, Indonesia and Malaysia also settled there also, though their languages did not survive contact with the colloquial Dutch then spoken. This unique mix of ethnic groups is believed to have contributed to the development of a "kombuis taal" or kitchen language that slaves spoke and passed on to the children of the Europeans, and to their own children as well. The kombuis taal is sometimes believed to have been a pidgin or creole, indeed a form of it survives to this day as a colorful form of Afrikaans still spoken by the Coloured (mixed race) people in Cape Town. When the British came to the Cape in the early 1800s, some of the Dutch moved east and north from the Cape of Good Hope, settling what is now the rest of South Africa. Kombuis taal, far from dying out or being completely integrated into English at this time, was reintroduced to Dutch for two reasons; the colloquial kombuis taal was only spoken while most writing was in Dutch and many families only had one book, the Dutch Staten Bijbel. Afrikaans was rarely written until the mid-1800s when Abu Bakr Effendi wrote Bayaan-ud-djyn an instruction manual for Muslims in the Cape originally written using Arabic characters. Meanwhile in what was then Transvaal, the Genootskap van Regte Afrikaners was founded and began to press for their language to be written and taught as a separate language from Dutch. During and after the period of the Boer Wars, Afrikaans was developed as a way of rebelling against perceived British cultural oppression. Afrikaans was the favored language of the National Party during the apartheid era, though it had dual status with English as an official language, and this association still leads to the misconception that Afrikaans is merely the language of apartheid. Currently South Africa has 11 official languages, but English is becoming more dominant. Afrikaans is still predominantly found in South Africa and Namibia, with recent immigration also leading to many Afrikaans speakers in Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Belgium and the Netherlands. – Source: Afrikaans Profile - HTLAL – October, 2008

Afrikaans Profile - HTLAL - October 2008

Afrikaans – Wikipedia

Previous Discussions
Some readers might wish to review the selection of logs and threads below (presented in alphabetical order).

3 Ways to Learn to Speak Afrikaans - wikiHow

Afrikaans and Dutch thread - HTLAL - October, 2007

Cellar Door - Afrikaans in 1 year - LLORG - August, 2018

Differences between NL and BE Dutch - HTLAL - March 2014

Intelligibility, Afrikaans & Dutch - HTLAL - November 2010

Propedeutic languages (+Dutch-Afrikaans) - HTLAL - January 2014

Schliemann Method - AFRIKAANS - HTLAL - December 2010

Usefulness of Afrikaans - HTLAL - May 2015     

2. AFRIKAANS RESOURCES

Afrikaans Courses, Supplements, etc.

Colloquial Afrikaans, (1st ed., 2000), 288 pages, by Bruce Donaldson; Routledge
Colloquial Afrikaans, AUDIO recordings – Routledge website
Staple CEFR A0-A1 course. Overall, Amazon customer reviews for this course are quite positive. Nevertheless, some customers, expecting a more comprehensive treatment, occasionally express disappointment.

Complete Afrikaans, (2nd ed.?, 2010), 384 pages, by Lydia McDermott; Teach Yourself Books
Staple CEFR A1 course. Generally well-received by Amazon customers and by members of the two language forums.

Linguaphone Afrikaans (1950’s) out-of-print
The 50-lesson Linguaphone courses from the 1950s retained the publisher’s practice of using a uniform approach to teaching and story line. CEFR A2-B1. In 2018, Linguaphone UK began selling copies of their older courses going back as far back as the 1950s.

Linguaphone Afrikaans (1993) out-of-print
In April 2018, forum member Jaleel10 wrote, concerning this course: “I found a very old Linguaphone book for Afrikaans from 1993 in our library. And this is the final dialogue in the book … As a native, I am genuinely surprised. That is a pretty high level of Afrikaans.” Jaleel10’s evaluation supports the widely-held opinion that these courses would bring the student within the CEFR A2-B1. Subsequent to the opening of this discussion thread, member Daristani commented that the 1993 version mentioned by Jaleel10 was likely a revised edition, having 40 lessons. Of note is that, in 2018, Linguaphone UK began selling copies of their courses going back to the 1950s. Interested parties are invited to submit queries to the publisher via their website.   

Parlons Afrikaans (2005), 298 pages, by Jaco Alant; Editions L'Harmattan
Parlons Afrikaans CD
Available in FRENCH only. The sole Amazon.FR reviewer commented that this book is the best available, in French, for learning Afrikaans.

Afrikaans Phrasebooks, Language Guides, etc.

50Languages / Book2
English (USA) - Afrikaans for beginners: A Book In 2 Languages

Afrikaans Phrasebook: The Ultimate Afrikaans Phrasebook for Travelers and Beginners (Audio Included)

Afrikaans Self-taught: By the Natural Method with Phonetic Pronunciation (Thimm's System), reprinted edition (2007), 270 pages, by Leonard W.Van Os; Simon Wallenburg Press
Note carefully that this introduction to Afrikaans is a “reprint” of the original work, published in 1927 by Asian Educational Services, India. Although audio recordings do not seem to have been prepared to accompany this reprint, some customers might be drawn to the “Thimm’s System” of instruction. The two Amazon Customer Reviews were poles apart. As it happens, I purchased the “Thimm’s System” German booklet and, in my view, these are dated, well-conceived phrasebooks, not in-depth courses.

Digitaldialects - Afrikaans Language Games

Innovative Language Learning - Afrikaans

Kauderwelsch Afrikaans, by Thomas Suelmann; Reise Know-How
Kauderwelsch Sprachführer: Afrikaans - Wort für Wort (2019), 176 pages
Kauderwelsch Sprachführer: Afrikaans - AusspracheTrainer - AUDIO Recordings
Available in German only. Phrasebook and AUDIO recordings (extracts only). Sold separately.

Learn Afrikaans 100 Lessons Audio Book MP3 / Book2 Afrikaans ??? – eBay
In response to a previous version of this list of materials, neumanc reported that these materials are likely the freely-available Book2 files. He may very well be right here. A couple of years ago, I purchased a similarly-described, low-priced CD on eBay for a language which I can no longer recall and it turned out to be the Book2 files. Caveat emptor!

Learn How To Speak Afrikaans (18 CD Pack) / Book2 Afrikaans - eBay
Out of blind curiosity, I purchased this set of CDs. It is a copy of the freely-available Book2 Afrikaans audio files.

Learn to Speak Afrikaans: A Method Based on 1000 Words (6th ed., 1976), 115 pages, by P. W. J.Groenewald; Brill Academic Publishing
This small booklet first appeared circa 1944 and, although the 1976 version was published as 6th edition, I suspect that it was never revised. Still, in November, 2014, Amazon Customer Adam commented: “Perfectly perfect in every which way. Lekker! I don't know where to begin praising this book because everything about it is perfect. If every language has a book structured like Learn to Speak Afrikaans, everybody will be a polyglot. If you would like some specifics about my praise, reply to this message and I will give you details. BUY THIS BOOK!”

Linguanaut - Afrikaans Phrases

Afrikaans Readers, Literature, Audiobooks, etc.
A selection of eBooks, audiobooks, and a few printed books.

Amazon.com - Afrikaans eBooks

Languages on the Web - Parallel Texts

LibriVox - Afrikaans

Loyal Books (previously known as ‘Books Should Be Free’) - eBooks & Audiobooks - Afrikaans

Project Gutenberg - Afrikaans

===

Alice in Wonderland in Afrikaans

The Invisible Man (Webster's Afrikaans Thesaurus Edition

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Webster's Afrikaans Thesaurus Edition)

Afrikaans Grammars, etc.

Afrikaans Verb Conjugation - Verbix

Ethnicity and Language Variation: Grammar and Code-switching in the Afrikaans Speech Community (2011), 298 pages, by Gerald Stell; Peter Lang GmbH

Form and Meaning in Word Formation: A Study of Afrikaans Reduplication (1988), 200 pages, by Rudolf P. Botha; Cambridge University Press

Grammar of Afrikaans (1993, 2011), 520 pages, by Bruce Donaldson; (Walter de Gruyter & Co

Qualitative-Quantitative Analyses of Dutch and Afrikaans Grammar and Lexicon (2014), 250 pages, by Robert S. Kirsner; John Benjamins Publishing

Afrikaans Dictionaries, etc.
This is but a small selection of the large number of dictionaries available.

English Afrikaans Topical Dictionary (2020), 109 pages, by Jessy Gonzales; Independently published

Hippocrene Practical Dictionary: Afrikaans-English / English-Afrikaans (2000), 373 pages, by Jan Kromhout; Hippocrene Books

Oxford Afrikaans-Engels English-Afrikaans Skoolwoordeboek School Dictionary (2013), 608 pages, by Liezl Cloete et al.; Oxford University Press

Webster’s Word Power: Afrikaans-English, English-Afrikaans Dictionary; Gresham Publishing

Afrikaans Media, Online News, etc.

Beeld – Netwerk24

Die Burger – Netwerk24

Rapport -- Netwerk24

Volksblad -- Netwerk24

RSG (Radio Sonder Grense) – Online Radio

Global Recordings Network – Online Audio Recordings
Note: “these recordings are designed for evangelism and basic Bible teaching …”

M-Net Afrikaans TV and Videos
M-Net Afrikaans TV and Videos
M-Net is a subscription-funded television channel broadcast in South Africa.

3. IMPROVING THIS FILE?
Please feel at liberty to post your own recommendations and/or comments and I’ll see what I can do about incorporating them into the lists above.

4. SUBSEQUENT COMMENTS
Visitors to this file are encouraged to review the subsequent comments, posted below, as they include members’ suggestions concerning materials and forms a running commentary on resources for the study of Afrikaans .

EDITED:
Completely revised, March 2020.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version