Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6089 days ago

3 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 2
06 May 2018 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
I'm learning English via listening to audio materials, such as "A murder is announced" BBC
radio program recorded. However, I'm quite bad at remember the names. After 3 to 5 minutes,
I'm soon lost at a "who is who" status.

For this piece itself, I could "do the homework" get all the characters from wiki. But in
general, how could I improve my "name recognition"? In everyday life, I'm also quite bad at
remembering names.
1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3811 days ago

507 posts - 1097 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 2
06 May 2018 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Hello, athos. As this would appear to be only your second post in almost 11 years, it may have escaped your attention that a "replacement" language forum was launched in July, 2015. You might wish to consider registering on the new forum and posing your question there. Here is the LINK: A Language Learners' Forum

As to your questions concerning "how to catch names" and "name recognition", I would have to admit that this poses a rather unique problem in "vocabulary" acquisition. If you can obtain a transcript of the audio recordings, obviously, this would be the shortest route. However, acquiring a more general knowledge of names requires a great deal of exposure, either through literature or audio sources.

I have noticed that, occasionally, some older language courses provide lists of "given names" with their pronunciation. While I have not take the time to research the matter, I do know that lists of "popular" given names can be readily found on the internet. As "diminutives" exist for many given names (e.g., Richard = Rich, Ritchie, Rick, Ricky, Dick, Dickie), hopefully, the lists will also provide the diminutives. It is also possible that some of these lists might provide a pronunciation guide. One way or another, you're going to have to do a lot of digging!

Another aspect of "names" is that, in certain cultures and sub-cultures -- and as far as I understand, this includes the British -- it is not at all uncommon for people to adopt more-or-less unique "monikers" which their friends and colleagues may, or may not, use when addressing them. Obviously, complicates the problem of "name recognition."

Now then, how to retain names? I have worked alongside people for several years and, upon being requested to introduce them to someone else, have been incapable of doing so because my mind "draws a blank"; so then, I cannot offer any advice.

I look forward to seeing you on the new forum.
3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version