HopeTea
Japan
Joined 4061 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 3
15 February 2016 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
This is my second language log. The first one died about three years ago. A lot of life happened, but now things have settled down. I'm a stay-at-home mom of two small children, and have been living in Japan for the past five years or so. Up until a couple months ago, I never really studied in a structured way or with much consistency. I would make "study pacts" with a friend or acquaintance, and after a short while one of us would inevitably drop the ball and bring the whole thing to a halt. Finally I've learned to be my own motivator and things are going well. Still, I guess I miss having someone to talk about studied with, which is why I decided to try this site again.

I recently worked through the series of books Nihongo So-matome for the N3 level, and I'm currently reviewing/retesting from those. I'm also using the パワードリル books, at least one quiz per day. Other books I'm using include: 日本語会話上手!、ちびまる子ちゃん満点ゲ ットシリーズ (敬語、漢字辞典2、似た者 漢字使い分け), etc. I can talk more about books if anyone is interested or wants to trade notes. I'm so excited to finally have found some that work for me! I also bought several "easy" manga to read, such as よつばと、しろくまカフェ、甘党ペンギン、 あたしんち、and some random educational books for children.

In addition to books, I'm using Memrise (N3 vocab with audio course) and Anki (KanjiDamage deck) every day, watching old episodes of Terrace House on Netflix, listening to some Japanese podcasts, and trying to get back to using Japanese evenings/weekends in my home.

It's hard to say what my current level is overall. I'm confident I could pass JLPT N3 with a decent score. I'm pretty comfortable with the tasks I encounter in my daily life. I can consume a variety of media, though I have trouble with things I find boring. I neglected kanji/reading for a long time, but I'm making substantial progress lately. I write almost nothing, but it's honestly not a very high priority for me at the moment. My speaking is hard to assess. I don't talk to many people outside of family on account of minor social anxiety (or whatever my deal is. Anyway I don't put myself in many social situations).

Short term, my goals are to "master" all the N3 material, keep up with the drills and reading, and hopefully buy books for N2 level around the summer time. (Sidebar: I'm actually not interested in the JLPT test itself, but for the first time I'm actually studying, and I owe that in part to how these books are organized. It gives me an aim, an outline, a way to visualize my progress. So taking the JLPT study route seems well-suited to me for that reason alone, at least up to the N2 level. As I go along I want to increasingly incorporate normal native material. Anyway, I'm finding going through separated (grammar, reading, kanji, etc) study books is very fun and satisfying for now.)

As a first post, this is kind of just a rambling pile of stuff to introduce myself again. I think I'll try posting about once a week or so, maybe with a list of goals or resources for the week or something like that. Would especially be delighted to trade thoughts/enthusiasm with others. Thanks a lot for reading.

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French

Message 2 of 3
20 February 2016 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
HopeTea wrote:
Finally I've learned to be my own motivator and things are going well. Still, I guess I miss having someone to talk about
studied with, which is why I decided to try this site again.

You may have missed when this site almost vanished and then came back, so you may not be aware that many of the regulars have either moved to
the "backup" site or at least operate both here and there. The backup does seem to see more discussion that this one. I'm keeping
my own 2016 Japanese TAC log there this year.

HopeTea wrote:
I recently worked through the series of books Nihongo So-matome for the N3 level, and I'm currently reviewing/retesting from
those. I'm also using the パワードリル books, at least one quiz per day. Other books I'm using include: 日本語会話上手!、ちびまる子ちゃん満点ゲ ット
シリーズ (敬語、漢字辞典2、似た者 漢字使い分け), etc. I can talk more about books if anyone is interested or wants to trade notes.

I've used 日本語総まとめ N3 and N2 for 文法. I thought they provided a decent set of points to review, but they seemed light on details. I
thought there weren't enough examples to work out when to use one over another. At the time I used them as a list of useful grammar points but
went hunting elsewhere for the details. I've since settled on the 新完全マスター series for grammar (although I am working through みんなの日本語中
級 with a tutor too).

HopeTea wrote:
In addition to books, I'm using Memrise (N3 vocab with audio course) and Anki (KanjiDamage deck) every day,

I like(d) memrise and used it for quite a while, but then I found it took too much time to keep both Anki and memrise going. I get more
control over Anki, so that won out.

HopeTea wrote:
(Sidebar: I'm actually not interested in the JLPT test itself, but for the first time I'm actually studying, and I owe that in
part to how these books are organized. It gives me an aim, an outline, a way to visualize my progress. S

Snap. I've been using the JLPT as a prod to study and read and watch Japanese stuff. I've found it very helpful!

HopeTea
Japan
Joined 4061 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 3
22 February 2016 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
Thanks so much for letting me know! I had no idea! Will be moving this over to the other site then.

I think we're on the same page with regard to 日本語総まとめ. I chose those books because I wanted something very time-organized and "light" to get back into studying. I was (and maybe still am just a bit) intimidated by 新完全マスター, but I'm planning to use that series (instead of or in addition to 総まとめ) for N2. Most of the N3 grammar is already known to me and only needed brushing up, so the lack of explanation/examples in 総まとめ wasn't too big of a deal.

Thanks again for letting me know about the site change, and for your thoughts! I'm extremely excited to get into 新完全マスター, hopefully this summer.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version