Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
obsculta
United States
Joined 5601 days ago

36 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 3
02 December 2015 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
I am always impressed by the computer programs various people write to help in second
language application in various ways. I often use them, and I often wish I could either
tweak them or program something with a slightly different goal. I'm going to have some
free time in a few months, and I'd like to learn to program with sla applications in
mind.

Examples of programs that I've loved: lf aligner (to make parallel texts), gradint
(make your own pimsleur), a program to format kindle dictionaries, various word
frequency and concordance software, a program to make an interlinear kindle document
from parallel text, lingvist (https://lingvist.io/), various forms of manipulating
subtitle files srs2anki, etc.

I'd like to learn to program these sorts of applications, not professionally, but for
my own enjoyment and edification. I would perhaps be working toward doing something
like lingvist, ie, big-data, automatically generated gapfills based on word frequency,
where the example sentences automatically included only already known vocabulary.

The extent of my programming knowledge: learned Basic pretty well 20 years ago. Fooled
around with python last summer for 15-20 hours before my computer crashed.

Current plan: Do the MIT open courseware python and java courses, and see where I'm at
after 6 weeks.

Do you have any advice for me? Are there any resources I should know about? Thanks in
advance.

1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5101 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 3
04 December 2015 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Check out the Natural Language Toolkit website.
2 persons have voted this message useful

obsculta
United States
Joined 5601 days ago

36 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 3
04 December 2015 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
That's exactly the kind of resource I was hoping for. Many thanks, Doitsujin.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version