Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How Long Does it Take to Learn Esperanto?

Tags: Esperanto
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
haziz
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3644 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 5
26 November 2015 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
So how long does it take to learn Esperanto, and how does that compare to learning a romance language like Spanish, Italian or French?

I am considering tackling Esperanto AFTER gaining some basic fluency in Spanish and after relearning French.

Is it a romp in the park for a month, reading a short book and playing video games on Duolingo? If yes, please sign me up!

Or is it half as hard as learning French or Italian, and takes half as long? In that case I would prefer to conserve my energy and learn a living language. Sorry, Esperanto does not qualify, even if it has a handful of native speakers and even if there seems to be, not one but two, Esperanto conversation groups near me! Surprising, specially since I live in the sticks in western Massachusetts!

So how long, and how easily, does it take to achieve basic fluency (let's say B1 level) in Esperanto, and how does that compare to a romance language, e.g. Spanish or Italian studied to the same fluency level?
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 2 of 5
27 November 2015 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
haziz wrote:

Is it a romp in the park for a month, reading a short book and playing video games on Duolingo? If yes,
please sign me up!

Yes.
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 3 of 5
27 November 2015 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
To be a bit more precise, that's more or less what I did--but I already knew German, Yiddish and French to
a decent level, had studied a decent bit of Italian, Spanish, and Latin, and was familiar with the basics of
Russian. Therefore, nearly everything in Esperanto was a cognate for me, and the grammar concepts were
easy to pick up. (And the question particle "ĉu" appears to be based on the way questions are formed in
Polish, btw.) I was awkwardly chatting online (with the help of Google translate) after a week or two.

I have no doubt that you could study Esperanto for 4-6 weeks and get to a decent level well beyond what
you would achieve in Spanish or Italian in the same amount of time. If you're interested in Esperanto, give it
a try.

Check out this 6 week Esperanto project to compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHPC5DN4eJA
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 5
27 November 2015 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
Ukrainian and Belarusian also use similar particles :)
The basics are really easy indeed, but developing a decent vocabulary still takes time (I never managed to do that because I lost motivation).
4 persons have voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 5 of 5
05 September 2016 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Ukrainian and Belarusian also use similar particles :)
The basics are really easy indeed, but developing a decent vocabulary still takes time (I never managed to do that because I lost motivation).

Yeah, with few people to interact with (I know there are forums and stuff) I lost motivation quickly.

Teach Yourself has a older course (I believe mine is from the 60s) that is really good for Esperanto. I picked it up for $5 I think, it's written be John Cresswell and John Hartley. Someday maybe I'll learn.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version